• ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Hello,

I am need to ship one of my handguns (sold it) to Kansas.

I went to the local PakMail shop and they said I needed the original FFL cert of the receiver, needed to have the firing pin removed and had to ship overnight via Fedex or UPS.

I'm pretty sure that he was not completely telling the truth. My FFL claims that I just need to be sending it to a confirmed FFL and that the best way to do it is to send it via USPS in their flat rate box that cost about $14.

I just want to make sure that I'm doing things properly and not committing a felony for a $400 gun.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

PX4 Storm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Kokomo
    I like to have a copy of the receiving FFL for my records and to make sure that there are no problems with the ATF, which I believe requires you to have a signed copy of the FFL.

The PakMail guy is wrong- there is legal NO requirement to remove the firing pin for shipping.

While there's no legal requirement to do so, UPS and FedEx have policies that require shipping handguns overnight. A non-FFL CANNOT ship a handgun via USPS, but an FFL can. If you can get your FFL to ship it for you, that would be the cheapest and probably easiest way to do it. If he doesn't want to ship it for you, then package it securely and take it to your local FedEx or UPS staffed location and ship it overnight. I prefer FedEx.

Many places like PakMail and the like don't want to ship firearms, or refuse to ship them at all, so it's best to take it to a FedEx or UPS location to ship it. It's also cheaper.

Hello,

I went to the local PakMail shop and they said I needed the original FFL cert of the receiver, needed to have the firing pin removed and had to ship overnight via Fedex or UPS.

I'm pretty sure that he was not completely telling the truth. My FFL claims that I just need to be sending it to a confirmed FFL and that the best way to do it is to send it via USPS in their flat rate box that cost about $14.

I just want to make sure that I'm doing things properly and not committing a felony for a $400 gun.

Thanks

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I have shipped several handguns over the years. For your records, you need a signed copy of the FFL you are sending the handgun to. I got to FedEx and ship the handgun standard overnight, if they don't ask I don't tell them what I'm shipping. I have never had any problems with FedEx and total I have used them to shipped about 15 handguns.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I can ship it for you.
    $10 + postage and insurance.
    As an FFL I can ship Handguns by Priority mail.

cheaper then Fedex or UPS overnight saver.

I will need a copy of the buyers FFL. It can be e-mailed.

let me know if I can help.

Karl

Hello,

Thanks

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Yeah shipping out USPS via an FFL is the best way to go! You save the hassle of the sheeple blowing a gasket because you're shipping out a death dealing evil hell gun, and you don't have to pay upwards of $60 to have it shipped out overnight.

duboismd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I have used FedEx and never had to tell them what was in the package. Never had any problems with them. Typical cost on overnight service has been about $35.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Thanks everyone for answering my question. This forum is great!

Now, will someone please build a 24 lane super indoor range in Hamilton County, preferably with a nursery. Oh yeah, and stop ammo price increases :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Thanks everyone for answering my question. This forum is great!

Now, will someone please build a 24 lane super indoor range in Hamilton County, preferably with a nursery. Oh yeah, and stop ammo price increases :)

:+1: to everything written there. :): The nursery part is optional, unless it includes pet-sitting, so I can bring my George.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I suggest you try pak mail at 96th and Meridian. They are familiar with shipping firearms, just give them a copy of the ffl where you are shipping. I have used them many times and not had the hassle, plus they package everything nicely and ship standard overnight for the same price that UPS wanted to charge me for their overnight. My experience with UPS was since it is a firearm, they wanted to use their earliest am overnight service and practically hand carry the package thru the entire system.

PX4 Storm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Kokomo
    The last time I had a FedEx driver pick up a handgun, and I told him what was in the package, he specifically told me that he did not need to know, nor did he want to know what was in the package. Obviously, our federal laws are really resonating with the common carriers.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

"Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm "

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I can ship it for you.
    $10 + postage and insurance.
    As an FFL I can ship Handguns by Priority mail.

cheaper then Fedex or UPS overnight saver.

I will need a copy of the buyers FFL. It can be e-mailed.

let me know if I can help.

Karl

Karl,

If some one is shipping to a manufacturer do you still need a signed copy of the FFL? I need to ship an old revolver to Colt.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    OK, but can I ship USPS? I didnt think I could since its a handgun.

No. Only FFLs can ship hanguns USPS.

And even with Karls $10 handing fee, you'll come out far ahead of what FedEx or UPS will want to chage you for overnight.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield

And even with Karls $10 handing fee, you'll come out far ahead of what FedEx or UPS will want to chage you for overnight.

Thats what I was getting at. :)

I have sent a few FedEx overnight and at times its upwards of $60.

I may come and see you Karl.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008

That's why I offered the service to forum members at a discount.

UPS and Fedex require overnight shipping because they were losing to many handguns to employee theft.
    Instead of fixing the problem with thieving employees they make the customer pay through the nose to ship a handgun.

Top Bottom