• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Duracoat Refinish of a Glock 22

By: Hoosier Gun Coat

In this tutorial, I’m going to go through a complete refinish of a Glock 22. The pattern i’m going to use is Air Force ABU camo. This is a new pattern and it is the first time I’ve used it. I’m going to start out with a used Glock 22. I had previously refinished this in matte black and Blue Titanium Cerakote. We will completely strip the finish off and will go over step by step the placement of the ABU pattern. Lets get cracking!!!
    Below is a photo of what we’re going to start with. I have my Duracoat and hardener, a sample photo of the pattern I’m trying to achieve, my pistol, and my stencils. I make my own stencils. The ABU camo consists of 4 different colors. They are: Air Force ABU Tan, Air Force ABU Light Green, ABU Air Force Medium Green, and Air Force ABU Dark Green. The order in which the colors are applied will (sometimes) determine which color is dominant. On a typical 3 color pattern, the second color usually becomes the dominant color. For this pattern, I want an equal amount of color, so we will go in this order: Air Force ABU Dark Green, : Air Force ABU Tan, ABU Air Force Medium Green, and Air Force ABU Light Green (for highlights). I chose this order so that I can go back and put lighter highlights over the ABU Dark Green.

CIMG1738.jpg

First we have to completely strip our pistol. I will then separate the parts to be finished from the parts that don’t.

CIMG1739.jpg

Once the parts are separated, they will be prepped for blasting. I am skipping a crucial step…DEGREASING. The reason I’m skipping it is because this pistol has already been stripped and degreased. It has not been shot or oiled since the last refinish. The success to any refinish job relies on the degrease step. It is VERY important and should be done thoroughly. As you can see, I like hemostats. They allow me to grip small parts and pins. I use them as often as I can. The muzzle and breach of the barrel have been plugged with rubber stops. This prevents the blast media from getting down in the barrel or chamber. On barrels with integral feed ramps, the ramps will be blasted. I will go back after the refinish and polish out the feed ramps. I have taped up the trigger housing to keep blast material out. We will go back later once the tape is removed and wash out the housing.

CIMG1741.jpg

In the nest segment I will go through the blast process and we will lay down our first color. :yesway:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    can't wait to see the progress. while i will probably never attempt something like this myself, its neat to see how the process works, and the amazing results. keep up the good work :thumbsup:

urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Is it possible to match the factory finish? I have a slide I would like to get some very light rust pitting covered up. Love the gun and want to keep it original. Thanks

Last edited:
    Top Bottom