All this talk about cheap pistols, rebates, sales etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Guys, Since I pay the bill here allow me to get on my soap box for a minute :soapbox: :):

I see all this talk about questionable pistols. People looking for cheap pistols, rebates, the best deals, what is on sale???

We are talking about firearms here not friggen tennis racquets or golf clubs. These are tools that might one day save your life.

I'm sure many here have a huge collection of pistols and are looking for something else. cool. But if you are someone who is going to own one gun do you really want to base that purchase on what is on sale, who has the rebate going, who throws in the pos holster and mag carrier?

I'm all for looking for the best deal. When I bought my carry pistol I bought it used FTF.

I'm not directing this at anyone. I've just noticed a bunch of posts about rebates, sales, stuff like that. I'm not saying you have to buy the Ferrari of pistols to feel safe. Or some special tactical full size operator HK .45 with threaded barrel and light laser combo. (had to get that in there Lars :lmfao:)

But if you come on here and read reviews of people talking about slides flying off while shooting, crappy reliability etc. Do you really want that gun? I don't care how cheap the damn thing is.

IMHO

/soap box :cool:

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Very true. This is partly why I decided to go with Glock for my first pistol -- instead of hunting around to maybe save $50-$100 bucks I figured why not get the gun that I thought was most reliable and I liked to shoot?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Get what you want. It really comes down to that. I have had that experience many times. I bought the cheaper version only to want the higher quality version as well. I have only sold one gun in my entire time of gun ownership and this was the cause. Now I have to justify the purchase of a $1400 pistol :P

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I think that it all stems to the cost of living going up. People want to protect themselves and be prepared for whatever comes, but the reality of it is that some people aren't able to go and shell out $5-600 base for a pistol.

One of the biggest forms of advertisement is word of mouth. So, people share their experiences, or things that they've seen that might be of some help. Some pistols work for some, but not others... It's a YMMV type thing.

I paid nearly $600 for my Glock 19 after everything was said and done and still looking to put money into it. However, I would gladly Buy a stock Bersa thunder 9, which is half that, and use it for defense. Where did I learn about it? Right on this board.

People share experiences, so the burden of homework is lessened.

Again, Your mileage may vary.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Generally, I agree with the original poster, but as SilentWarrior mentioned, not everyone can afford $500-600 firearm right away.

I bought my first one shortly after an incident that reminded me how vulnerable I was. At that time, I was a lower enlisted in the Army and my budget for this purchase was $150-200. I ended buying a reliable revolver for almost $300 (tax included). That had to suffice until I could afford something better.

Same story with my dad. He went with a $100 High Point. It was an ugly, awkward, and heavy piece of sh!t, but it went BANG! every single time. About a year or so later, when he could afford it, he bought something much more expensive, reputable, and carry-friendly.

YMMV...

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I understand what the first poster is saying. However, I think in most cases, people are trying to find the best deal on an item that they have already selected. Like, where they can get the best deal on a Glock G19 or Fiocchi 9mm ammo.

I haven't seen too many that have said "Help me find the best deal on the cheapest 9mm pistol".

I think these forums are a great way for us to communicate where to find the best on-line deals.

I actually bought a Smith and Wesson MP9 because I learned about the great rebate promotion and CDNN pricing via this site. I had been looking at them for a little while and held an over-priced one at Gander Mountain ($550).

I was able to get one for $399 from CDNN with a $50 rebate and 2 extra mags because of the forum.

Just my 2 cents... Please keep sharing the deals via this forum :)

Again, I agree with the first poster. Please do not buy your personal defense weapon without doing research on what you want to purchase. Then go find a deal on that particular weapon.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I agree with original post. Come on.....a Glock is a great pistol...for $489 dollars you can have one brand spanking new....I know that's a lot of money...but if I can afford one....ANYONE CAN...seriously if you only knew....save...save...invest in your life and the lives of your family members.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Let me put it this way. I have never been sky diving, but if I was going to do that and had to buy my own parachute I would research the **** out of it. I would seek out people with the most experience in that area and buy the very best equipment I could find to get my ass on the ground safely.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the newest stuff or the most expensive. I would be looking in terms of reliability and positive feedback from people who have jumped out of planes hundreds of times and lived.

This is the way I'm thinking about a pistol. Again I'm not looking for most expensive. I paid $450 for my gun with some goodies used. But sales, rebates, and other stuff is not on my mind because I only own one pistol and I don't collect them. If I can get the pistol I want on sale that is awesome. But I'm not seeking out "on sale" pistols.

Just my point of view ;)

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Although I haven't read any of the "Where are the cheap guns?" threads it could also be that someone doesn't currently need another one, but if they found a deal or sale or rebate that they couldn't pass up that they would make the purchase.

I'm currently that way with a number of things. I don't need a G26, but if I knew of a sale or rebate that I couldn't pass up I would go for it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Heh, Thanks Mike ;)

Honestly, I wanted a .45 H&K USP.
    I bought this one used with a pile of magazines and all the other accessories, most of which I'll never use.

The cost of a basic .45 USP and 13 magazines was more than I paid for this one with the "tacticool operator threaded barrel, and laser light combo" ;)

I also purchased it because I would stake my life on the fact if I have to use it, it's going to go bang. At least once someone said I could have purchased three Glocks. I didn't, I purchased one HK. I will carry it, the size doesn't matter.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Smith & Wesson Sigma would fall under my category of questionable pistols. No offense to anyone who owns one. That is just my opinion.

While I do agree to a certain extent, I'm not sure what falls under the category of questionable pistols.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    That HK of yours is not for me but based on everything I have read.... everything I have seen first hand and having shot that pistol for myself...

I have no doubt it is incredibly reliable and I would trust my life to that pistol if I was strong enough to hold it up.

Heh, Thanks Mike ;)

Honestly, I wanted a .45 H&K USP.
    I bought this one used with a pile of magazines and all the other accessories, most of which I'll never use.

The cost of a basic .45 USP and 13 magazines was more than I paid for this one with the "tacticool operator threaded barrel, and laser light combo" ;)

I also purchased it because I would stake my life on the fact if I have to use it, it's going to go bang. At least once someone said I could have purchased three Glocks. I didn't, I purchased one HK. I will carry it, the size doesn't matter.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Yeah the Sigma has had it's share of problems. I never found them very appealing myself either. I'm pretty sure they are better now than they used to be, but the M&P line is sooooo much better.

And the rebate still applies! Act now! Just kidding!!!!! :)

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Smith & Wesson Sigma would fall under my category of questionable pistols. No offense to anyone who owns one. That is just my opinion.
    :+1: on the Sigma. Mine went back to the factory twice and the new owner once.

As far as the sales and low dough deal's, I guess these threads (other than personal FTF stuff) need a new catagory in the Community section "On Sale" I'm a bargan hunter, but I mostly buy new stuff do to my appreciation of virginal qualities. I have nothing against FTF buys if the item is represented correctly. 200 rounds down the pipe dosen't mean 200 since the last 3000. I'm sure some of us have been there !!! I do like to hear of all the latest rebates,flyers, and promotions. Karl usually sends out 2 or 3 a week and I love reading thru them even if I don't have a real interest in the particular models. I feel this is the true spirit of "Community" by keeping everyone informed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To be fair, not everyone is familiar with guns and has no idea what the typical cost range is for a quality firearm. I've been in shops when newbies walked in and looked at the brand new $219 Jiminez Arms guns and were shocked they cost so much; or walked in specifically asking for Hi Point pistols. So while I typically buy and collect pistols that average low 4 figures, other people may only have a budget for the sub-$500 pistols.

People with firearms experience are well served to take time with newbies to drive them to a quality gun that suits their REAL needs.

Let's all be honest with ourselves. A typical gunfight only involves 2 or 3 shots. Distances are typically no longer than the width of a small room and many shots are under 12 feet. If someone is in need of a budget gun then we should not steer them to the wonder pistols that hold a dozen or more rounds, we should not be setting their sights on a custom 1911, but rather should talk to them about a simple Charter Arms Bulldog, or similar revolver. They are inexpensive (by comparison) they are great values, they are reliable right out of the box without any 'break in period' needed. And many people who own guns are not "gun people" who love to shoot. They often buy 2 boxes of ammo, shoot one and keep one. And they don't go back to the range. Ever. A simple, reliable gun is going to fit their needs very nicely. Honestly it would fit our needs just as well. We just happen to be gun geeks who love our guns and enjoy shooting them.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I currently carry an FNP-9M. Great pistol. Very reliable and it will be hard for you to find someone who talks bad about them.

You can get them for $299 on CDNN (same as a Sigma).

I like the gun for many reasons including price and I do trust my life with it.

I don't think you have to spend $600 plus to get a great reliable pistol. Again, just my two cents.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    [A gun I don't trust] would fall under my category of questionable pistols. No offense to anyone who owns one. That is just my opinion.

I ammended your quote to make a broader point.

This statement is what I think people should use as a focus when choosing their weapon. If the person using the weapon for defense is concerned about it, that person will lose confidence and focus in a defensive situation.

Think about what happens then.

No matter the brand or the type of gun, if a person can't handle it or doesn't feel it will work 100%, then they're going to be at a major (life threatening) disadvantage.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Generally, I agree with the original poster, but as SilentWarrior mentioned, not everyone can afford $500-600 firearm right away.

I bought my first one shortly after an incident that reminded me how vulnerable I was. At that time, I was a lower enlisted in the Army and my budget for this purchase was $150-200. I ended buying a reliable revolver for almost $300 (tax included). That had to suffice until I could afford something better.

Same story with my dad. He went with a $100 High Point. It was an ugly, awkward, and heavy piece of sh!t, but it went BANG! every single time. About a year or so later, when he could afford it, he bought something much more expensive, reputable, and carry-friendly.

YMMV...

Well said. Why buy the most expensive handgun out there right off the bat? You can't always afford what you want, nor may you know exactly what you want, at least not yet. Get some experience, save some money, then get what is best for you once you are ready.

Top Bottom