• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Is Colt really the end-all of 1911s? Are other brands as good? Better? For the money, are other brands a better deal?

Colt? Kimber? Springfield? Taurus? :dunno:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Lots of brands as good as Colt, it depends more on what features and what you are willing to spend on a 1911 that means more.

In the mid range, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Wesson all make fantastic 1911's again look at them all and find which ones have the features your looking for (and are willing to pay for).

On the upper end of semi-custom, Les Baer (which the TRS is the one i'm jonesing for right now), Wilson Combat, Brown.

If your looking for the lower end I just saw a ad in the classifieds for a RIA, I have no expierence with them but there seems to be a lot of fans on here that really like them. Another one to look at is Springfield armory in they have a couple of models that would be priced in this range also.

Good luck to you and just a word of advice it will become a disease and you will want more and more and more.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I've always seen colt as a great 1911, but just paying for the name.

Honda......Acura
    Toyota.....Lexus

ya know? same brand, same quality, your just paying more for the name.

While there are many 1911s that are just garbage, you can't go wrong with a Kimber, Springfield, RIA, people hate on Taurus but thats between them and their god.

Find a buddy, shoot his, enjoy life :)

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    Depends on how much you want to spend. There are hundreds of 1911's out there, all of which have there own attributes. And yes some are better then others. It just a matter of personal preferance. If you want a dependable firearm that isn't going to break the bank, say under $1000, then a Colt would suit you fine. Just be aware that you are paying a premium for the Colt name.

Mac238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've owned the Colts, Springfield and one of the Taurus 1911. I currently own 2 Kimber CDP's that are excellent pistols. All have been good. My fav is the 5" Kimber CDP.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Over the course of my life I have owned several 1911 style pistols of different makes always just your normal everyday 1911 nothing really fancy, names like Colt, Springfield even a Llama once. I recently got a Kimber and I must say there is no comparison it is a vision of beauty and precision. I say save up some extra cash and get a high end 1911 its worth every penny...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    On the budget buy side, I'm firmly convinced the Rock Islands are one of the best "bang for the buck" buys in firearms right now. I've never owned a more expensive one so can't comment on them. But I have been known to drool over some Kimbers, Wilsons, and Ed Browns.

Kimbertrace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It seems prices are coming down. I saw a used Kimber UCII on Cabellas website for $670 today. It had some external wear, but looked in good condition. I have been very happy with my Kimber UCII. Kimber currently has the most up to date machining process for 1911's, offers many custom features without a custom price, and most if not all parts are hand fitted.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've owned MANY 1911s, and my absolute favorite was

the Colt WWI Re-Issue.

Truly a masterpiece and the closest thing to John Browning's original idea.

Mine was beautiful (Carbonia Blued), accurate (incredible), and exactly what a combat handgun should be!

Trust me- get a COLT!

Vanguard.45

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    people hate on Taurus but thats between them and their god.
    CSK22, LOL, you should use that as a signature.

I have had a Para, Kimber, and a Charles Daley.
    I would not recommend the Daley.
    It had feed problems with anything but round nose bullets.
    But it was VERY accurate.
    The Kimber and Para, well, I still have 'em.

Personally I feel everyone whould own a Colt sooner or later.
    That's my plan anyway. :ar15:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A 1911 is on my someday list. I personally am looking at a Springfield GI model. Nothing fancy, but I will not be using it for competition. I have seen them for $549 at Acme Sports in Seymour.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Is Colt really the end-all of 1911s? Are other brands as good? Better? For the money, are other brands a better deal?

Colt? Kimber? Springfield? Taurus? :dunno:
    I had a Taurus 1911 that was simply flawless. One of the guns I sold that I REALLY miss. Price is right and the quality is fantastic. Most I ever spent on a 1911 was a Kimber and it was also an unapologetic piece of crap!

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    A lot of really nice comp guns started life as a NORINCO. Haven't been able to import them for a while but a Nork 1911 was a very good performer. Good metal and all. I've got one but don't use it as much as I should. Even thought about tradin it off......decisions, decisions.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you call a few top pistolsmiths who build custom 1911's they will tell you, based on their experience, that the base guns they will work on are Colt, Springfield Armory, Caspian, and STI. There may be a couple of more brands that don't come to mind, but the el cheapo brands aren't part of the equation. The reason they recommend these is the quality of the metal and the accuracy of the factory machining (as in all the holes are properly aligned). If you want to verify this, just give a call to a few on this website:The American Pistolsmiths Guild

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    As others have stated their are a lot of more pricey 1911's than a Colt. Depends on what you want to spend. You'll find most do just the same, just depends are you a Walmart guy or Ralph Lauren.

Top Bottom