• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I'm looking to buy a commander sized 1911 soon. I've looked several over and I've narrowed it down to a STI Ranger II and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I've been able to handle the STI but not that model of DW. I'm wondering if anyone here owns or has any experience with either of these two pistols?

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I have a 10mm CBOB and really like it. But it is a Dan Wesson, not a CZ.

One of my range guys bought a CZ CBOB in 45, and had several issues. CZ seemed to be less CS oriented than Dan Wesson, at least at that time.

I think the one at PSS is a CZ, FWIW. 839-6095 is the #

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    STI will usually garner a lot more support. They are allegedly way better in quality and service. That being said, I had a .40 Trojan and it was a piece of crap. I waited a long time and paid over $1k. There is a problem with the way they cut the barrel ramps on their .40 single stack guns, it is a known problem that about 30% of the guns have. They are well aware of it, and yet havent changed anything after years of this happening. They tell you to ship it back (at your expense) and then they charge you labor to fix it.

I will admit that it was accurate, when it ran. I shot it less than 300 rounds and sold it off at a bargain to a guy who understood what was wrong. He ended up sending back to STI, paying over $200 and it still wasnt totally right, but good enough to shoot.

I have never been impressed with the finish of the factory guns, especially given the price. Most of the widebody models work, more or less, after you tweak the $100 mags. However, they have a nasty looking baked on black finish, and barrels that are accurate, but appear to be made of melted down scrap metal. If you get one that isnt gritty you hit the jackpot.

I'd buy another STI frame in a second, but never another complete gun.

That being said, I have never shot a Dan Wesson, but have been told by people I highly trust to be very skeptical. If you are willing to spend STI money, then you have a variety of other options. A lot of people go with Kimber or Springfield for a reason.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Gj1981, another one that you might look at are the Para Ordnance's,
    I've got a Carry 9 that has pretty much replaced my G26 as my main carry in the cooler months unless I go out of state.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have a 10mm CBOB and really like it. But it is a Dan Wesson, not a CZ.

One of my range guys bought a CZ CBOB in 45, and had several issues. CZ seemed to be less CS oriented than Dan Wesson, at least at that time.

I think the one at PSS is a CZ, FWIW. 839-6095 is the #

Do you mind if i ask what type of issues the pistol had? I've heard a few people say something similar about how older models were better than newer ones.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do you mind if i ask what type of issues the pistol had? I've heard a few people say something similar about how older models were better than newer ones.

The CBOB sjstill mentioned was mine. First off the trigger was VERY heavy (I measured it at ~6.5lbs) compared to reviews I read on that gun at 3.5-5lbs. Fixed with some polishing and sear spring tweaking. But I was also having failure to eject issues from the start with the gun. It appeared the ejector was not tuned after it was installed. It was VERY long and compared to other commander sized 1911s and some pictures of other CBOBs I found. It didnt look to be tuned for proper function.

I did have to send the gun to Dan Wesson (~$50 for overnight shipping) and they did fix it, but they left me a note saying the gun was fixed "out of kindness" since they said I had voided my warranty by adding an ambi-safety. I told them about the safety BEFORE I sent the gun in and that the issues were of FTE were there from the start and they said "send it in" any way.

Anyway, the gun has been flawless since and it is a nice 1911, but I did have some hoops to jump through at first to get it reliable.

Top Bottom