Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I ordered a Kimber ambidextrous thumb safety. I'm left handed, and this will be replacing an STI ambi thumb safety on my carry weapon.

It was a tossup between King's and Kimber due to a unique design feature shared by both, and King's has been supplying the military and are constantly out of stock, so Kimber it was.

It's due to arrive tomorrow.

My question to you all is this: Have you experienced any problems related to the Kimber ambi safety, and if so, what was the nature of the malfunction and approximate round count?

Thank you,

Josh <><

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the only trouble i have with my kimber ambi safeties, is when breaking them down to pins and springs for cleaning. i much prefer inletting the right grip and using the sti or similar ambi. been using them for years with no problems.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thank you.

I just believe the pinned safety is a cleaner install, and appeals to me visually. As well, I've not seen them walk out as some swenson leg styles do.

If you need to remove one, try getting some waxed dental floss under the left side safety and pull up while moving the safety up and down. It'll move out, then you can get a piece of plastic under it.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    It got here today. I installed it. It took no fitting to the sear - Kimber molds them pre-fit to guns which are in spec.

Compared to the STI safety, it feels and looks cheap. I had to take a lot of flash off and smooth down rough spots to keep it from binding. I also had to take the slop out of the joint.

BUT! It's on now, and is performing well. MIM parts will fail early on if they're going to fail, but flipping it on and off 100 times as well as 50 rounds or so through the gun didn't reveal any further flaws.

I really wish I could have gotten a King's as the concept is great IMO, but Kimber's execution leaves something to be desired.

I'm keeping the STI safety as a backup, but with a light spring on this one I don't think it will fail.

Josh <><

Top Bottom