KahrPM vs Walther PPS decision made. best price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    PURCHASED! KahrPM vs Walther PPS decision made. best price?

Ok, I've been researching my new BUG for a couple months now. I'm looking to replace my KelTec p32 with a .40cal for light clothing carry/BUG. The two contenders were the Kahr PM and the Walther PPS. I've now had hands on with both of them. The Kahr won out for size, but I really dislike long trigger pulls and it just didn't fit my hand. The Walther just Felt Right, and was the most similar to my carry guns in operation and take down (basically the compact gun Glock should make). The only odd thing was the magazine release, but it wasn't problematic for me.

So, the decision is made in favor of the PPS. Now I need to find one. I will be buying in the next couple weeks. I'm in the southern part of the state and get to Indy once a month or so. MC Sports in Bloomington had the best price I found so far at $625, but I would much rather give my money to a local guy rather than a corporate chain. Any leads?

Last edited:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Did you try the Kahr CW9 ? It has a 3.6" barrel, and is more like a small subcompact, but still a 9mm, it only weighs 2 ounces more than a PM9 and you can buy them new for @ $410 - $425

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Did you try the Kahr CW9 ? It has a 3.6" barrel, and is more like a small subcompact, but still a 9mm, it only weighs 2 ounces more than a PM9 and you can buy them new for @ $410 - $425

:+1: The CW or P series Kahrs would be more similar to the PPS in size. When I did my head-to-head comparison, I used my P9 rather than the smaller PM9.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

Remember I'm looking for a .40. I carry a 10mm as my main guns, and I reload, so staying with the .40 means I can use some reloading components common to the two and I don't have to get new dies.

I ruled out the CWs when I was first looking. It still has the long trigger pull that while it was smooth enough on the PM40, just drives me nuts as my shooting my carry weapons is reflex now. The only reason the PM40 was a contender was the significantly smaller size than the Walther. The Walther's larger size is a bit of an issue, but the fact that it really felt right and the trigger pull was excellent for me made the decision.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Kahr makes a P40 and CW40. :)

I know, I just consider the .40 to be a different class than the 9mm, even in the same gun. The handling and feel are very different. Guns that shoot the 9 great don't always shoot the .40 very well. If I was willing to consider a compact 9 I feel there are a lot more good options than the compact .40. I'm not prejudiced against the 9mm, I carried one for years, I'm just a 10mm snob now :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bob Trueblood at Bite the Bullet, Seymour/Reddington had two .40 Walther PPSs in the case a week ago. Might give him a call about price. I don't have his number right now but I know you could google it.

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    You’ll like the PPS in 40. I’ve been carrying one for about a year now everywhere. It’s so easy to CC, it’s unbelievable. High Noon makes a great little pocket carry holster for it. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Pocket_Grabber/_pocket_grabber.html
    I have one of those and an ITW from High Noon along with a paddle holster from Fobus. This gun is more comfortable from me to carry than my PPK/S.
    Good choice

graham88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Southern IN
    Congratulations…………On the Great choice!!
    I just picked up a Second PPS …. And you will be happy.
    I also travel around in the southern part of Indiana…. I’ll keep an eye out for you.
    standard.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well, I drove up to Bradis yesterday and brought home a .40cal PPS. I spent the evening dry firing it and reading the manual (yes, I read manuals). I really like the fit and feel of it. I'll post a range report in a seperate thread a little later today after I've had a chance to put a few through it.

I paid $585 (and I am waiting for the invariable "you could have gotten it for $xxx at XYZ Gun shop; that's why I asked here last week and called around) for it as it was on sale because it had a light blue frame. As usual the folks up there were friendly and professional.

Now the search is on for holsters.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Well, I drove up to Bradis yesterday and brought home a .40cal PPS.

:woot:

it had a light blue slide.

I think you meant to say "frame" there. It's the blue-gray color (no longer offered, as far as I can tell) that Walther refers to as "blau grau," which always gives me a chuckle. :):

Anyway, glad we could hook you up. :yesway: I'm looking forward to reading your range report.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    :woot:

I think you meant to say "frame" there. It's the blue-gray color (no longer offered, as far as I can tell) that Walther refers to as "blau grau," which always gives me a chuckle. :):

Anyway, glad we could hook you up. :yesway: I'm looking forward to reading your range report.

I did mean frame. I wasn't fully awake when I posted. Now after a 2 hour trip home which should have been 20 minutes from the GFs house through solid sheet ice and having to extract my car from the ditch a couple miles from home while some idiot was honking at me because I dared block the road, I'm fully awake.

I started up the hill, couldn't make it, applied the brakes, came to a stop and started sliding downhill and off the road. I was walking distance from home but after dealing with said idiot and spending half an hour unsticking my car from the ditch I decided to go around the other way and barely made it home that direction. Yesterday I *could* have taken the truck, but didn't think the weather was going to be that bad and since I was going to be driving all over the state didn't want to burn the gas... Normally I have a comealong in the trunk but took it out during the last warm spell to use it around the ranch.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    i carry a .40 pps in a crossbreed supertuck and love it. also i highly recomend you get a $10 houge grip and trim it to fit. it doesnt affect concealability and everyone thats held it says its one of the most combfortable pistols theyve ever held. just my $.02

zebradog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    It always amazes me. The ORIGINAL post by Shibumiseeker was where can he find the BEST PRICE on a Walther PPS. I don't know myself, but I'm also not trying to change his mind on the gun he decided to buy. My are all the replies about comparing this gun to that gun? That wasn't the topic of the original post.

Top Bottom