• ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    SHOW EM IF YA GOT EM!!!

So I'm totally into the lasers. My aim is great and i don't need the help but, really want a laser. Was thinking about the internal laser for my new XD. How durable are they? Will they out last the warranty? And how hard are they to install? This will get used often.
    Was told at the shop they are hard to put in, And that paying 50$ more than what i can order it offline for was worth it because they would install it for me. ??? Help!

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I can't believe whatever laser you are looking at would be hard to install. If it's a grip laser that's simple, if it's on an accessory rail that's also easy, and I'm pretty sure if it were a laser to replace your current guide rod it wouldn't be much harder than just field stripping the gun. I'm sure you can just save your $50 bucks and buy it online, think about the ammo you could buy with that $50!

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Been looking at the guide rod lasers. But not sure how the violent action would affect it. Would hate to blow almost 400$ and have it break. I shoot often.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    They sale for 308$ on one site i found with free shipping. The shop clerk said I would be better to buy from them at 359$ and they would install it. I personally would like to save 50$...lol But not at the cost of messing this up.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    They sale for 308$ on one site i found with free shipping. The shop clerk said I would be better to buy from them at 359$ and they would install it. I personally would like to save 50$...lol But not at the cost of messing this up.

If you know how to field strip your XD I'm positive you could install a guide rod laser. It isn't something I personally would pay the extra money for.
    Just my :twocents:

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle

It would be easy to put one in the XD. And I heard they are what, a 3 year warranty?

I would rather spend the money on a nice holster and ammo. But if I had the money after that a nice laser would be cool.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    If you know how to field strip your XD I'm positive you could install a guide rod laser. It isn't something I personally would pay the extra money for.
    Just my :twocents:

:+1: Exactly...

I have been drooling over the LaserMax internal laser at Pop Gun's for awhile now just haven't had the funds to purchase yet. They even said they'd install it for me since it takes all of about 1 minute to do, as stated before if you know how to field strip your XD.

LaserMax: Springfield XD: Guide Rod Lasers

Pop's is usually cheaper than what is listed on the LaserMax site too.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    +1 Installing a Lasermax is as easy as reassembling your field stripped firearm.

I like the idea of the guide rod laser but never really saw myself being comfortable with the actuation method. I do have a CT that came factory on my J frame. It's been kinda fun but not some much so that I've purchased more.

I will say this... they are GREAT tools for dry fire exercise control; you really see how poor your form is when you squeeze that trigger and that little dot dances off target! :draw:

SP32-20070210-162332.jpg

No eyeballs were injured in the making of this photo... the angle is greater than it appears although, as I view it now (2 years later), it looks bad and I would never recommend it with a loaded firearm. :nuts:
    SP32-20070210-162402.jpg

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    I purchsed a Laser-Max from MidwayUSA for my XD45 Service for $279.00. Love it! Just field strip and replace the guide rod with the laser, it's just that simple. No sighting in, it's preset from the factory and dead-on.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have the laser on my Walther P22. The sights suck so bad that I needed something else.
    Pretty well useless in the daytime.

Great for shooting cats in the evening, though...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So I'm totally into the lasers. My aim is great and i don't need the help but, really want a laser. Was thinking about the internal laser for my new XD.

I am not a fan of lasers in general (outside the realm of this discussion, since you obviously have your heart set on one), and even LESS a fan of the LaserMax. Why?

• It replaces functional components of the firearm, namely the recoil assembly, with non-factory components of unknown quality. This may or may not void the factory warranty (with Glock it doesn't, but Springfield I don't know).

• It is not user adjustable. The manufacturer states that the gun will shoot within 2" of the dot at 20 yards. If it doesn't, you have to send your entire gun and laser unit to LaserMax for adjustment.

• The activation switch is small, and requires a non-standard manipulation (i.e. pushing the takedown lever to the side or something) to turn it on. This may be difficult to do under stress, assuming you even have the presence of mind and the time to do so.

• It's friggin' expensive!

How durable are they? Will they out last the warranty? And how hard are they to install?

The LaserMax is very easy to install. Durability-wise, the most common problems I've seen are breakage of the replacement slide lock spring on the Glock models, and breakage or loss of the battery compartment cover plate. I've also seen a lot of reliability (cycling) issues on guns with LaserMax units installed, which is one of the reasons I don't recommend them (see point 1 above).

Was told at the shop they are hard to put in, And that paying 50$ more than what i can order it offline for was worth it because they would install it for me.

Your shop is f*cking you. Go elsewhere.

HTH!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am not a fan of lasers in general (outside the realm of this discussion, since you obviously have your heart set on one), and even LESS a fan of the LaserMax. Why?

• It replaces functional components of the firearm, namely the recoil assembly, with non-factory components of unknown quality. This may or may not void the factory warranty (with Glock it doesn't, but Springfield I don't know).

• It is not user adjustable. The manufacturer states that the gun will shoot within 2" of the dot at 20 yards. If it doesn't, you have to send your entire gun and laser unit to LaserMax for adjustment.

• The activation switch is small, and requires a non-standard manipulation (i.e. pushing the takedown lever to the side or something) to turn it on. This may be difficult to do under stress, assuming you even have the presence of mind and the time to do so.

• It's friggin' expensive!

These are all the reasons I wouldn't want one on a carry gun, and $300 is too much money for a plinking accessory. That said, if you decided on a laser, something like a Crimson Trace would at least solve two of the problems: The equipment replacement and the activation switch issue.

Top Bottom