• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My old practice gun decided I didn't really need to practice last week...

I was about 150 rounds into the 400 I took to the range. I had finished a timing drill and some bill drills and had moved on to shooting groups at 10 yds when the shots started impacting higher and higher, yet I was calling the shots all center of the group. Then it started binding up going into battery... then finally it locked up tight. really tight.

My first assumption was the locking block, but looking from the top the block appeared ok. Then I thought maybe the hammer release lever broke since I had one of those break on another gun once and it similarly locked the gun up.

Upon closer inspection, I found this.....

barrelcrack4.jpg

barrelcrack1.jpg

barrelcrack2.jpg

barrelcrack3.jpg

Now I'm not at all upset this happened. I feel I got my money's worth out of the gun. I KNOW I have put over 100k rounds through this gun, probably closer to 120k... and it was a 10yr old police trade in when I bought it. I'll try to find a cheap barrel to put back in it to keep it running for a little while...

just thought ya'll might find it interesting.

-rvb

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I am really surprised it lasted that long! Who knows whether it was shot with +P ammo prior to your purchasing it. I would say that pistol had served you and its previous owner to the fullest. I just wish I had the kind of money you did to shoot that much :laugh:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm glad it locked up on you. Could have gotten kind of interesting in a few more rounds LOL.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    WOW ,glad you noticed that dude,still a testament on what a abuse a beretta can take. The pistol looks well used ,I seen some barrels on gunbroker for a 92

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    interesting.

in the time you have had it, what parts have needed replacing?

Beretta company might want to have that barrel for analysis. they might even gladly trade you a new barrel for it. it's a chance for them to inspect a 100k barrel without actually shooting 100k rounds through it themselves.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I seek the slams on Glock already began. Good to know that the Beretta has a long life. Gives the others something to which they can aspire.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I just wish I had the kind of money you did to shoot that much :laugh:

well, I don't have a fancy cell phone or plan, I drive an old beat up truck, I don't get out to movies or have a huge dvd collection, no trendy gadgets, etc. ... in other words, all my fun money budget goes towards keeping the guns fed, and occasionally a gun or gun parts.

load ammo, shoot, collect brass, repeat ...

I don't shoot anywhere near as much now as I used to (having a child will do that). A few years ago I was shooting 15-20k per year. Last year was about 5k (and the majority of that was in matches). I'm hoping to turn it up a bit this year, hoping for about 8-10k.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As far as contacting Beretta, I haven't decided yet. Might just send them an email w/ pictures for fun.

While I've never had them replace parts or work on any guns, I've had less than stellar experiences w/ their customer service (I call it "the mystery grab bag" of parts when ordering parts/spares... you never know what you'll get in the mail... has taken me 3 orders before to get the right parts!).

Besides Beretta's warrenty is only for 1 year (expired about 18 years ago), and they don't warentee reloads, which, well, this gun has seen a few.

This gun has been... well... abused. I cleaned it religously every couple years or 20k rounds, which ever came first. I've run it like a subgun doing dozens of bill drills in a row, and had it so hot you left skin if you touched the slide/barrel. Beretta has no obligation to me on this one....

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What was the accuracy like after 100k+ rounds?

Better than you'd expect, especially as badly eroded as the throat was, but certainly not as good as a relatively new gun.

Anecdotally, with my 92G EII (which has 25-30k on it), I can easily keep 8-9 of 10 shots on an 8" plate at 75 yds. W/ this gun that broke, head shots on an ipsc target (6" square) at 25 yds was about the best I could manage.

-rvb

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    As far as contacting Beretta, I haven't decided yet. Might just send them an email w/ pictures for fun.

While I've never had them replace parts or work on any guns, I've had less than stellar experiences w/ their customer service (I call it "the mystery grab bag" of parts when ordering parts/spares... you never know what you'll get in the mail... has taken me 3 orders before to get the right parts!).

Besides Beretta's warrenty is only for 1 year (expired about 18 years ago), and they don't warentee reloads, which, well, this gun has seen a few.

This gun has been... well... abused. I cleaned it religously every couple years or 20k rounds, which ever came first. I've run it like a subgun doing dozens of bill drills in a row, and had it so hot you left skin if you touched the slide/barrel. Beretta has no obligation to me on this one....

-rvb

No obligation, but they might like that as a brag gun... kind of like the old Toyota pickup truck they used to trot around that some dude put a million miles on. Never hurts to ask LOL.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't see any finish left on that gun. I'm assuming you just wore it off, or did you polish it?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Sorry to hear about the breakdown, Let us know if Beretta does anything for you, or if just a new barrel is all you need, If a product works for you and needs a little TLC every once in a while then its a good piece

P.S.
    I don't understand why anyone would start hawking another brand when a guy likes what he has and is only trying to relate a situation and in so warn other owners to keep a weather eye out.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I read your post first on the Beretta Forum. You should send it back to Beretta with a thank you note thanking them for 120,000 rounds of pure fun!

Seeing that it is a stainless barrel, if you happen to find someone selling them, with the block, let me know as I am looking for one. Can find the black ones all day long but can't find a factory one (stamped "stainless") anywhere.

Top Bottom