Difference between Beretta 92-F & 92-FS ? ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have heard many stories thru the years about the change from the 92F to the 92FS, but not exactly sure what all is true.

Recently, I looked into trading my 92F ( bought new late 1980's ) in toward something else. I was told by the dealer that it was the inferior model and he personally wouldn't shoot it ! Now, I do believe the newer FS models do have some kind of safety feature retaining the slide in case of a catastrophic failure. My question would be 2 parts. Was there ever a significant issue prior to the modification ? And would the older model be that much less desirable if both were in equal condition ?

Thanks for any info !

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    in a nut shell your gun is the old model with a smaller head pin near the back of the frame. Years ago some military group experienced slide failure in which the slide came off the frame & into the face of the shooter( so the story goes) it was later determined that the said group may have been ammo that should have been reserved for submachine guns .But later models are now equipped with a larger headed pin to keep the slide from coming off the frame.Your pistol may never experience this but Im pretty sure this is what the gunsmith is basing his opinion .

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    First off, I appreciate your service. Second, that beretta 92F is a fine gun. That gun shop owner was probably trying to talk you down in terms of value or just didn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground.

What is the condition of the weapon? I assume it has the two dot (one dot front and rear) as opposed to the three dot system.

Have heard many stories thru the years about the change from the 92F to the 92FS, but not exactly sure what all is true.

Recently, I looked into trading my 92F ( bought new late 1980's ) in toward something else. I was told by the dealer that it was the inferior model and he personally wouldn't shoot it ! Now, I do believe the newer FS models do have some kind of safety feature retaining the slide in case of a catastrophic failure. My question would be 2 parts. Was there ever a significant issue prior to the modification ? And would the older model be that much less desirable if both were in equal condition ?

Thanks for any info !

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    The Beretta is a fine weapon. My brother is a cop and still carries his first issue weapon given to him 19 years ago which is the Beretta 92F. I'd like to have one if you sell it.:):

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    The FS is a design modification done to accommodate the military after some Navy Seals ran a few thousand rounds of SMG ammo through their M-9's and experiences some catastrophic failures. IIRC, test results replicated the same failure at around 23,000 rds fired (again, with extra hot SMG ammo).

The -F model is not functionally inferior to the -FS or unsafe in any way unless someone is planning on stress-testing it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Air Force blew some up, also. They limited the guns to 5,000 rounds till they figured out why.

The friggin ammo was HOT!!! I fired some of it when we transitioned from the Model 15s, felt like a .357 Mag in my hand. No surprise the guns were wearing out quickly. Once they started using proper ammo, the guns quit blowing up. Imagine that!

The 92F is a fine gun. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the darn thing for forever and a day.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the responses.

First off, I appreciate your service. Second, that beretta 92F is a fine gun. That gun shop owner was probably trying to talk you down in terms of value or just didn't know his @ss from a hole in the ground.

What is the condition of the weapon? I assume it has the two dot (one dot front and rear) as opposed to the three dot system.

Yes, it only has (2) dots. One thing I find odd about it tho is the gun says made in US ( Md ), but the 2 mags that came with it say made in Italy. It's in good shape ( somewhere between 1200-1500 rounds thru the years) . I personally haven't shot it for years, but do occasionally take it to the range for the wife or son to shoot. They prefer it over other guns I have. As for why I don't shoot it much, it's because I prefer getting in my trigger time with Glocks or my XD's. I can take ( 1 ) G22 or G35 out with a few barrels and shoot 9mm, .40, & .357 Sig and when I get home don't have as much to clean.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for any info !
    The guy is full of :poop:.

The older Italian Beretta 92F will generally hold its value longer and have a higher resale value than an American 92FS. Beretta collectors want early Italian guns more than they want current American guns.

The 80's vintage 92 is perfectly safe to shoot. The chances of you having a slide failure are next to none. The design has been around since the early 70's and has seen widespread military and police use. The basic design (open top design) has been in use by Beretta since 1951 (model 951) which was the basis for the Model 92.

Top Bottom