• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I came across what seemed to be a good deal on an unfired Taurus PT-25, and for some reason just can't get it out of my mind. I have never before considered buying a .25 ACP; the online consensus seems to be that there is no reason to buy a firearm in this caliber, since even the .22 LR is more powerful and much less expensive to shoot. That said, I have experienced enough failures with rimfire ammunition that the idea of a small centerfire sort of appeals to me.

Don't get me wrong...I am not considering something this small as a primary carry weapon; I already have much better/bigger calibers for that purpose. But it would be nice to have something small, light, and inexpensive to carry in my pocket while mowing. Something that wouldn't cause heartbreak if it were to get scratched, but which would offer some protection against dogs, snakes, etc. Something that might be fun just to do some plinking with too (my Ruger Mark III is a great plinker, but pretty big for mowing the yard with).

So, I guess my question is this: Does anyone have anything GOOD to say about the .25 ACP caliber, or about Taurus PT22/PT25 pistols generally? Or would I be better off to look for a used Beretta Bobcat in .22 LR? Or even a derringer, if I'm not so worried about the two-legged predators? :)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It is an interesting round but expensive to shoot with, as you point out, no advantage over a reliable .22LR. BTW there is a very nice looking Beretta 21A in .25 ACP in the classifieds now. Good price with ammo and all.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Either 25acp or 22mag FMJ should penetrate about 13-15" in gel if you give them at least 2" of barrel.
    In .22LR, at around a 2" bbl, you'll probably see less than 10" penetration (likely around 8").

Personally, I'd go .22 mag in something like a 2" NAA Black Widow (8.8 oz), but it's up to you. If weight is the primary concern and you can give a little on length (as long as it's slender), the NAA Earl only weighs 8.6 oz and has a 4" bbl (and there's a 4" version of the Black Widow too although it's a little heavier).

There are reasons other than practical ones for owning a particular gun. Sometimes something just strikes one's fancy, for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I had a bad experience with a Taurus PT22. It was very unreliable. I sent it back to Taurus for repair, then traded it. I would wait for a nice Beretta in 22 cal. BTW the TAURUS is a knock off of the Beretta.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    .22 LR will be much more reliable out of a revolver. Rimmed cartridges and autoloaders just don't play nice with each other.

They're both about equal in the damage department. Wouldn't want to get hit with one, but you're probably not going to drop a crazed attacker in one shot.

This has been discussed in multiple threads in the last couple months.. Try "the google" and search for .25ACP and you'll find it.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    The .25 feeds and functions better in small autos. I had a .22 Beretta and the rounds would not feed reliably. The NAA mini revolvers are great if you want a small .22 cal.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Once shot a rabbit right in the breadbasket at, oh... 35 feet or so. The SOB hopped away! Had to run him down and kill him by hand. The .25 didn't even go all the way through a RABBIT. If you want something to discourage snakes and such, that's great. And it IS a very loud round out of one of the little pocket pistols. Very loud. But I'd say it'd be a lot less useful than a good stick against a two legged varmint.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    A 25 will not penetrate 1/2" plywood from 15 ft. Way to heavy of bullet for the amount of powder pushing it. A useless round.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I prefer a 22 LR over a 25. I have a Phoenix HP22 that has run perfect in almost 1000 rnds now. It is very accurate and is a very concealable handgun also you can find 22 ammo just about anywhere. For the cost of ammo I can practice with my carry gun alot. Some may say it's only a 22 but I'm not willing to be a test subject! For a $150 gun I couldn't be happier.....

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    For those guys who can't control a 380 a 25ACP would be just great. A 25 in your pocket beats a 380 in the glove box. I dare just one of those guys dissing the 25 to stand there and let me empty a mag in to them if it's so under powered. While you are fumbling for that 380 in the back of your undies I'll put 5 of these 25's between your eyes and one in your big toe so they'll have a place to thread the toe tag...

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I used to own a PT-22 that was a Jam-o-matic. It used to be the wifes favorite at the range, but even she got frustrated at how often it would stovepipe. She has now graduated onto the 9mm Glock. I also had the same gun (PT-22) break it' s firing pin before I knew not to dry-fire rimfire guns. BTW, this is the only firearm that I have ever owned that a firing pin has broke on.

That said, it wasn't the PT-25, so YMMV. Good luck!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    There are a LOT of haters out there with a special loathing for the 25 acp.

You will routinely hear things such as: It is weaker than 22lr" or "it has no advantage over rimfire".

the problem is the majority of people base there opinion on misleading test barrel numbers: when you do so, you see something like 65 Vs 100 ft-lbs for standard velocity, and 90 Vs 190 ft-lbs for high velocity ammunition when you compare the 25 to the 22 rimfire.

People usually forget the 22 is using a 16" test barrel to produce its velocity and energy figures Vs the 25acp using a 2" test barrel. When you compare velocity from equal 2" test barrels (such as an NAA mini) you see that the 25 acp actually generates an average of 200fps more than the .22lr while using a HEAVIER bullet. This leads to an unavoidable energy advantage for the 25acp.

It does cost more though.... but no more than many other common handgun rounds; TRY WALMART, they have it. Thanks to the ignorance of so many, they maintained a steady supply through the Obama scare as well.

(For you critics and skeptics: I don't, no does anyone I know, own or carry a 25. i carry a 22lr [with a barrel much longer than 2"]. I have no personal ties to this topic :) )

I used to own a PT-22 that was a Jam-o-matic. It used to be the wifes favorite at the range, but even she got frustrated at how often it would stovepipe. She has now graduated onto the 9mm Glock. I also had the same gun (PT-22) break it' s firing pin before I knew not to dry-fire rimfire guns. BTW, this is the only firearm that I have ever owned that a firing pin has broke on.

That said, it wasn't the PT-25, so YMMV. Good luck!

I can help those out who are having problems with the PT-22. My wife as well as my mother both have one.

Three problems that need to be addressed:
    1) The machining of feed ramp as well as the slide rails are rough. POLISH them; its easy. :)

2) The hammer spring, which also operates the slide, is incredibly strong. Use the hottest ammo you can. (Velocitors/Stingers/Super-Maximums have worked well for us)

3) The biggest problem by far: the magazines SUCK! Specifically, the magazine latch slots are milled FAR too deep. This allows over a millimeter of slop in BOTH of our examples. I fashioned a buffer from a thin sheet of rubber, which sits attop the floor plate, that allows the magazine to sit at the proper depth.

I have found that the magazine slop will cause a 100% reproducible stovepipe jam. The poor magazines are by far the cause of nearly all the guns problems.

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I had one many years ago, could not bring my self to sell it,.......so I gave it away! To answer your question though, I myself have no use for one. I'm not sure you could give me one.

But hey, if you want one, then go for it. To each their own.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I read somewhere a while ago that ballistically, when you compared the .25acp round to the gun that was firing it, you were better off throwing the gun at the bad guy instead of shooting it at him...take the weight of the gun x the velocity involved in throwing it = more generated foot pounds at impact than the bullet itself, potentially causing more damange...or something to that effect.

I would trust a .22lr fired out of a revolver more than a .25 acp or the gun firing it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I Have Your Answer!

I have applied mathematics to your question and have found the perfect answer.

The average .25 ACP cartridge has a muzzle energy of 64.93 ft/lbs.

The Taurus PT-25 sub-compact pistol. This pistol weighs 12.3 oz. empty, which is to say it weighs 5,381.25 grains. If you could throw it at 75 mph, which is slower than the speed that Major League baseball pitchers throw a fast ball, that velocity works out to be 110 fps, and will yield 145.34 ft/lbs of energy on your target.

This tells us that you will have a much higher energy on target if you just become more proficient in throwing your empty .25 caliber handgun. (Please be sure to remove the ammunition from the handgun before throwing to avoid an accidental discharge... Safety first.)

.25 ACP Cartridge
    Projectile weight - 45 gr
    Projectile velocity - 804 fps
    Projectile energy - 64.93 ft/lbs

Thrown Handgun
    Projectile weight - 5,381.25 gr
    Projectile velocity - 110 fps
    Projectile energy - 145.34 ft/lbs

Behold The Power of Mathematics!

Check it out for yourself: http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/me.php

Safety Notice - Whether it is shot or thrown, you can still put an eye out with a .25 caliber handgun!

Last edited:

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Guys, is there a problem with the "search" function on the INGO site? ".25 ACP" and "25 ACP" turn up nothing; even a simple search such as ".25" turns up zero threads for me. I KNOW that a phrase like ".25 ACP" exists on this site (including in this very thread!).

I have had this problem before and have resorted to Google site searches, e.g., ".25 ACP site:ingunowners.com". Why doesn't the search work?!

Top Bottom