• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife has a S&W 642 Airlight with the (she had to have) Crimson Trace Laser grip. CT just didn't shape it for aging hands and it pounds :xmad: the web between the thumb and index finger. She loves the gun but hates the pain. I tried it today and it took the fun out of it. It would work for self-defense as it is but you get into a showdown with paper more ofter, fortunately.

I have looked at Hogue grips and they seem to be slip-on. I'm not sure about things that slip on...they coudl slip off. If you must glue them on then that would hamper service and cleaning.

The Pachmar seem to use the standard screw but I'm not sure about the comfort and protection to the web area.

This model has the round butt as well. (the gun, that is)

Experiences with these or others?

Kevin

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have Uncle Mike's grips on my 442.

You may be able to help a little, but a 642 is going to pound her regardless of the grips because it's so light.

I know you didn't ask, but you might want to try a different gun with less felt recoil. If she really wants a revolver, you could try the new .327 magnum.

obhie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    Rhino's right. You might be able to make the pain a bit less intensive, but there's a reason nobody wears a Airlite out -- they'll pound your hands into hamburger in nothing flat. With that said, I've seen folks over at THR saying that the ladysmith grips are pretty good.

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hmmm. New range gun for the wife, but she can carry the 642 for protection. I think that's what I'm hearing. Psychologist call that projecting your feelings onto others. I like you guys! The lightweight is what the guys at TDI said would be a problem for the 900+ rounds she shot in a weekend. They loaned her a steel .38 for the class. She is going back to her old Glock (which is in the shop for some enhansments) which will have a 3.5 pound trigger verses the 12 pounder of the S&W. If someone invents a reasonably priced wheel gun with a semi-auto trigger pull, they'd have a product.

Thanks for the help.
    Kevin

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, if she shoots a Glock, why not carry a Glock???!!

A Glock 19 or 26 is a great choice for a carry gun. Nothing wrong with an airweight J-frame, but Glocks are easier to shoot well.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Which Crimson Trace grip on the 642? There are three models.

One has a grip similar to the stock shape of a nice, soft rubber.
    LG-405
    lg405.jpg

One has a grip similar to the stock shape but of a hard plastic and an economy price.
    LG-105
    lg105.jpg

One has the nice, soft rubber and a "combat" grip - extended for a full grip with small hands.
    LG305
    lg305.jpg

I've got the LG305 and it is a pleasure to shoot. The trade off is it is slightly longer and slightly more difficult to conceal. I got mine factory from S&W on the gun, badged with the S&W logo.

If you're local to Indy, I could meet at the range and she could try it. If she likes it better, we might consider a swap (if you've got the 405. No interest in 105.)

Last edited:

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I installed the 305's on my wifes 642, it improved her range experience quite a bit. The trade off is the difference in the added width and overall height it adds to the butt of the revolver, but a big improvement in shooting comfort.

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I checked the CT grips and it is a 305, figures. I'll try the Pachmar. And I agree with the carrying a Glock. I might carry her wheel gun for an ankle back up. That way I have someone carrying more ammo for me and I'm sure she can take the "last" shot for me while I'm distracting the threat with the .38. Stopping power is really about hitting what you are aiming at anyway. Problem is when we shoot at the bad guy targets he usually has his BVDs ventilated. I'll watch her back!

Top Bottom