Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

S&W 642 Airlight Grip suggestion

My wife has a S&W 642 Airlight with the (she had to have) Crimson Trace Laser grip. CT just didn't shape it for aging hands and it pounds the web between the thumb and index finger. She loves the gun but hates the pain. I tried it today and it took the fun out of it. It would work for self-defense as it is but you get into a showdown with paper more ofter, fortunately.

I have looked at Hogue grips and they seem to be slip-on. I'm not sure about things that slip on...they coudl slip off. If you must glue them on then that would hamper service and cleaning.

The Pachmar seem to use the standard screw but I'm not sure about the comfort and protection to the web area.

This model has the round butt as well. (the gun, that is)

Experiences with these or others?

Kevin
    "When the people fear the government there is
    tyranny. When the government fears the people there is lilberty." Thomas Jefferson

I have Uncle Mike's grips on my 442.

You may be able to help a little, but a 642 is going to pound her regardless of the grips because it's so light.

I know you didn't ask, but you might want to try a different gun with less felt recoil. If she really wants a revolver, you could try the new .327 magnum.
    Email: Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker
    Rhino's right. You might be able to make the pain a bit less intensive, but there's a reason nobody wears a Airlite out -- they'll pound your hands into hamburger in nothing flat. With that said, I've seen folks over at THR saying that the ladysmith grips are pretty good.

Hmmm. New range gun for the wife, but she can carry the 642 for protection. I think that's what I'm hearing. Psychologist call that projecting your feelings onto others. I like you guys! The lightweight is what the guys at TDI said would be a problem for the 900+ rounds she shot in a weekend. They loaned her a steel .38 for the class. She is going back to her old Glock (which is in the shop for some enhansments) which will have a 3.5 pound trigger verses the 12 pounder of the S&W. If someone invents a reasonably priced wheel gun with a semi-auto trigger pull, they'd have a product.

Thanks for the help.
    Kevin
    tyranny. When the government fears the people there is lilberty." Thomas Jefferson

What is THR?

Hey, if she shoots a Glock, why not carry a Glock???!!

A Glock 19 or 26 is a great choice for a carry gun. Nothing wrong with an airweight J-frame, but Glocks are easier to shoot well.
    Email: Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Which Crimson Trace grip on the 642? There are three models.

One has a grip similar to the stock shape of a nice, soft rubber.
    LG-405

One has a grip similar to the stock shape but of a hard plastic and an economy price.
    LG-105

One has the nice, soft rubber and a "combat" grip - extended for a full grip with small hands.
    LG305

I've got the LG305 and it is a pleasure to shoot. The trade off is it is slightly longer and slightly more difficult to conceal. I got mine factory from S&W on the gun, badged with the S&W logo.

If you're local to Indy, I could meet at the range and she could try it. If she likes it better, we might consider a swap (if you've got the 405. No interest in 105.)
    Last edited by paddling_man; 09-08-2008 at 11:28. Reason: Clarify
    BS: The smell is the tell.

Marksman
    I installed the 305's on my wifes 642, it improved her range experience quite a bit. The trade off is the difference in the added width and overall height it adds to the butt of the revolver, but a big improvement in shooting comfort.

Shooter
    Last edited by Metro 40; 04-01-2009 at 04:56.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    What is THR?
    The High Road.... nat'l gun forum like The Firing Line.
    BS: The smell is the tell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast