Anyone else use Skateboard grip tape on their handguns? (Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I saw the idea over at another gun forum that I visit and it looked like a good cheap way to get some more grip on the slide of my C9

I bought the tape off ebay for $5 shipped for a "skateboard sized sheet" and ended up using about 1/30th of the sheet.

I place the tape on the back of the grip frame, both sides of the slide, front of the trigger guard and on the bottom of my magazines.

It makes the slide alot easier to grip after your hands get sweaty from plastic grips.

here are some pics of my C9 with the tape-mod

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I've got some decal grip tape on my G19, it works really well in providing you a solid grip on polymer frames.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Espylum uses it, quite nicely, on his Springfield LW Commander's front strap. If you don't know what you're looking at, you'd never know what it was.

And, I must say, slacker, your photos are the embodiment of what it means to "put lipstick on a pig". FANTASTIC photographs. Seriously. Nice depth of field (could be a little deeper...), dramatic lighting, sharp focus, nicely composed/laid out.

From one shutter-bug to another, (rusty, I'll admit) I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of your "work", if you have any.

-J-

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been using skateboard tape on my guns since the mid 1990s. I actually like it better than checkering in the metal. The only downside is that you have to replace it occasionally.

The least expensive source is to get a roll of non-skid tape from Menard's or somewhere similar. It comes in sheets too, and varying grit sizes.

You can also get pre-cut grip tape for your specific gun.

BennyBlown2v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    One of the previous owners of my gun put grip tape on the handle (where your fingers/knuckles wrap around in front) and it's actually kinda nice to help more easily get a positive grip on the gun.

I like that grip tape on the slide, that's really cool!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    nicely done, slacker. this is actually an old idea. checkering on the cheap, so to speak. useful anywhere you want better purchase. most of my race guns have skate tape on them somewhere.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Espylum uses it, quite nicely, on his Springfield LW Commander's front strap. If you don't know what you're looking at, you'd never know what it was.

And, I must say, slacker, your photos are the embodiment of what it means to "put lipstick on a pig". FANTASTIC photographs. Seriously. Nice depth of field (could be a little deeper...), dramatic lighting, sharp focus, nicely composed/laid out.

From one shutter-bug to another, (rusty, I'll admit) I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of your "work", if you have any.

-J-

Agreed. As a fellow shutterbug I appreciated your photos.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    If anyone wants a piece of the tape feel free to PM me and you can come pick up a piece. A 4x6 sheet should do 2 guns

I am on the West Side about half a mile from the Marion County Fish and Game range

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    nicely done, slacker. this is actually an old idea. checkering on the cheap, so to speak. useful anywhere you want better purchase. most of my race guns have skate tape on them somewhere.

Too bad we don't have any more of the BRIGHT GREEN grippy tape!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    was that tape or was that a green "slip on" grip? I saw a 1911 with red on the grip and thought it was something like tape til I got a closer look and seen it was a nice aftermarket grip. Almost looked like a 2 piece grip on each side, really cool looking.

I like this idea of skateboard tape. Might consider it on my Kel-Tec.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    A couple of years ago I started carrying a 642 and the grips do not cover the backstrap causing a black/grey/black pattern to be noticeable when I pocket carried (my wife asked if I had a remote in my pocket).

So I ran skateboard tape down the back to cover the grey. It also really improved the grip.

tape1.jpg

tape2.jpg

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    3M sells a roll of stuff that is identical to skateboard tape, available at Menards or any of the big hardware store that is about $4. It is also just the right width to perfectly fit the frontstrap of a 1911. 1 roll would be enough to do about 700 fronstraps. I put in all over all of my guns and have been using the same roll for years and it isnt close to half gone yet.

For best results degrease thoroughly any area you wish to put it on.

Top Bottom