Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where:
    Winamac DNR Range
    Rifle/Shotgun/Handgun Range @ the 25' yard Range
    1493 w. 500 n, Winamac, IN 46996
    Use GPS coordinates of 41.134988, -86.640729 in MapQuest or GoogleMaps as the address WILL NOT work.
    (574) 946-4422
    PDF Map: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Winamac_map.pdf
    The range is right above circle #4 on the map.
    You can see it from the side of the road. DO NOT follow the sign for the SKEET RANGE that goes EAST INTO the park.

HOURS OF OPERATION
    SEP - MAR
    8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)
    [STRIKE]
    APR - AUG
    8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 6:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)
    [/STRIKE]

How to find us on the range?
    Look for us on the 25 yard range.

When:
    SAT., 26 MAR 2016
    Time: 9AM CST/10AM EST

Plywood Donation for the Range (WINAMAC ONLY)
    DNR can only put new plywood up on Mondays. Our group typically leaves the plywood HEAVILY damaged once we are done. (Tons of shooting ).

DNR advised that the State of Indiana has tighten their funds so they (range) can not always put fresh plywood up. The range master has been very thankful for it. (Suspect this has helped with us having a "food area" on the 25 and 50 yard range.) As such I would like us as a group to be able to do this again. The plywood must be full size 4'x8' in size ANY thickness. Wooden post should be 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length.

Donations in 2010: 26 plywood
    Donations in 2011: 37 plywood & 16 post & 7 brooms & dust pans (plastic)
    Donations in 2012: 57 plywood & 16 post & 6 dust pans (metal) & 7 brooms
    Donations in 2013: 19 plywood & 6 post
    Donations in 2014: 27 plywood & 6 brooms
    Donations in 2015: :( (none)
    Donations in 2016:

NWI INGO Plywood/Post Person: :dunno:
    This person will be in charge of taking the plywood/post to the event. Jedi will either meet with the person before hand to provide the funds to purchase the items or reimburse the person at the event.

Current Pot: $164.50 as of 01 MAR 2016

FAQ:
    Q: What should I bring?
    Your firearms and some ammo, off course! Also your PAPER targets ONLY, a staple gun (to hang the targets), eye & ear protection.
    No full-autos are allowed on the range but everything else (handgun, rifle, shotgun) is.

Q: What should I bring (Non Firearm Related)?
    Here is what some members bring in addition to their firearms to help them during the day.
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!
    - Sunscreen
    - Folding/Camping Chairs (there is only one two-person bench on the 25' yard range)
    - Shooting mat
    - Binoculars/Spotting Scope
    - Small tool kit to adjust sights/quick fix firearm
    - Eye and Hearing protection
    - Staple gun to hang the targets to the wooden boards
    - Bug spray! Bug spray!

Q: I see member "John Doe" is bringing his 1911, can I shoot it?
    Most members bring their guns to shot and allow others to shoot them as well. If you see a gun on the list you would like to shoot, ask the owner (post it) what type of ammo brand they like so you could use it. Some members supply the ammo. Be considerate of others and bring some more if you can so everyone can try the firearm.

Q: What about safety after all this is a public range? I have heard bad stuff about public ranges.
    While the range is open to everyone typically what occurs when we go has been that we (NWI INGO) end up taking over the 25 and 50 yard ranges. This in turn has helped us to police ourselves and ensured our own safety. We setup a table with the "NWI INGO Range Rules" and just ensure that any new shooters we have with us are being supervised.

Q: Do I have to shoot only from the bench sitting down?
    There are no rules for "how" to shoot at the range.
    You can shoot by...
    - sitting from the bench
    - standing from the bench
    - sitting cross-leg from the bench
    - laying on the floor from the bench

Q: What size plywood can we donate?
    The range can only take full sheet 4'x8' plywood in ANY thickness due to how it is nailed to the wooden post they have.

Q: What size wooden post can we donate?
    The plywood is nailed to two 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length post to keep them up. The 25 yard range uses a total of 6 post, the 50 yard range uses a total of 12 post, 100 yard range uses a total of 8 post and the 200 yard range uses a total of 2 post.

Q: What is the cost to come?
    The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range. The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

Bring eye/ear protection. If you can bring some snacks to share, if not that is OK too. If you have an odd caliber toy then its generally considered good form to bring extra ammo for that gun and share that but its reasonable to limit the amount of shooting if the ammo is expensive.

The group (INGO NWI) as a whole gives a donation of plywood to the range each time we go. The chairperson for the plywood pays for the plywood and brings it and takes donations from others for it.

Q: I live in IL and would like to attend the event. Can I bring my guns as well?
    Everyone is welcome to attend. Winamac is a free Indiana public range.

Effective 01 JUL 2011 a new Indiana state law allows a person who does not have an Indiana Handgun License to transport a handgun from his/her home to a gun range if the following two conditions are met:
    1) Handgun is unloaded
    2) Handgun is in a secure container (ie. locked)
    As such IL residents you can now bring your handguns to the IN range in addition to your long guns.

Q: How often are these held?
    We hold them once a month from MAR to NOV.

Need free printable targets? Try this post:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/79176-free-targets.html

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ---ATTENDANCE---

13 as of 23 MAR 2016

1775usmarine
    actaeon277 + dad + brother (adam)
    ballstater98
    gunbunnies
    One Shot, One Kill
    blue falcon
    gstanley102
    Jedi
    unshelledpilot
    BDS JIN
    nipprdog

--MAYBE--
    sadclownwp
    melensdad
    "Da Snob" Wild Duece :rofl:

---FOOD---
    hot dogs x 3 packs (jedi)
    sausage x20 (blue falcon)
    buns (blue falcon)
    buns (actaeon277)

chips (ballstaer98)
    drinks (BDS JIN & gstanley)
    pies (nipprdog)

ketchup (jedi)
    mustard (jedi & blue falcon)

plates (jedi)
    napkins (jedi)
    forks (jedi)

grill (jedi)
    tables x 2 (jedi)

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ---EQUIPMENT LIST---

Side arms
    CZ75 (1775usmarine)
    CZ85 (1775usmarine)
    Ruger LC9s -9mm (ballstater98)
    Taurus 24/7 P/T Pro -9mm (ballstater98)
    Glock 19 Gen 4-9mm (ballstater98)
    Ruger SR1911 -.45acp (ballstater98)
    Ruger GP100 4.2" barrel-.38 Special & .357 magnum (ballstater98)
    Glock 19 [9mm] (one shoot one kill)
    SW 638 [.38+p] (one shoot one kill)
    H&R revolver .22 (blue falcon)
    1911A1 .45 acp (blue falcon)
    Bond backup .45ACP (blue falcon)
    Marlin camp .45Acp (blue falcon)
    Remington RM380 - .380 ACP (gstanley102)
    Colt Mustang Plus II - .380 ACP (gstanley102)
    Colt Government - .380 ACP (gstanley102)
    Walther PK380 - .380 ACP (gstanley102)
    S&W Airweight - .38 special (gstanley102)
    S&W 3913 - 9mm (gstanley102)
    S&W 6904 - 9mm (gstanley102)
    Remington R51 - 9mm (gstanley102)
    glockenspiel (9mm) unshelledpilot
    S&W Victory 22-- will have ammo (nipprdog)
    Ruger 22/45 w/red dot (nipprdog)

Long Guns
    AR (1775usmarine),
    Marlin 80 (1775usmarine)
    Ruger 10/22 Take Down with Red Dot-.22lr (ballstater98)
    Aresenal SAM7SF AK47- 7.62x39 (ballstater98)
    Ar-15 [.223] (one shoot one kill)
    Marlin 60 [.22lr] (one shoot one kill)
    Browning BLR .308 (blue falcon)
    Ruger 10/22 Commemorative with Ruger BX trigger - .22 lr (gstanley102)
    Remington 700 VTR with scope - .223 (gstanley102)
    Howa 1500 with scope - .223 (gstanley102)
    Browning BL22 - .22LR (gstanley102)
    AR (5.56) unshelledpilot

The infamous Remington 7615P--will have ammo. lovemywoods called it "The mutant rifle." (nipprdog)
    PSA 9mm AR Glock mag version. will have some ammo. Factory brass or aluminum only. (nipprdog)
    Savage FV-SR 22 bolt action-will have ammo. (nipprdog)

1919 belt fed in 308 (gunbunnies says please bring ammo if you want to shoot)
    45-70 Marlin (gunbunnies VERY LIMITED AMMO

Shotguns
    Remington 870 - 12ga. 2 3/4" shells should we want to throw clays-will bring some clays and a hand thrower (ballstater98)
    Leader Ar-12 shotgun [12g] (one shoot one kill)
    Mossberg 500 (12ga) unshelledpilot

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    In

Ruger 10/22 Take Down with Red Dot-.22lr
    Ruger LC9s -9mm
    Taurus 24/7 P/T Pro -9mm
    Glock 19 Gen 4-9mm
    Ruger SR1911 -.45acp
    Ruger GP100 4.2" barrel-.38 Special & .357 magnum
    Aresenal SAM7SF AK47- 7.62x39
    Remington 870 - 12ga. 2 3/4" shells should we want to throw clays-will bring some clays and a hand thrower

MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    I am very interested in meeting some Members from INGO. As a bonus this is the day after my birthday. I will have to see how far this is from me and figure out what the wife has planned for me. I am trying to get her into shooting also. She did not care for the 38 special snubnose I bought for her. Nor did she care for my Beretta 92fs... she says the 92fs was too big and heavy. Maybe I can make it out and someone can bring a 380 or 22. I will keep this thread in mind and try to remember to check it from time to time.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I am very interested in meeting some Members from INGO. As a bonus this is the day after my birthday. I will have to see how far this is from me and figure out what the wife has planned for me. I am trying to get her into shooting also. She did not care for the 38 special snubnose I bought for her. Nor did she care for my Beretta 92fs... she says the 92fs was too big and heavy. Maybe I can make it out and someone can bring a 380 or 22. I will keep this thread in mind and try to remember to check it from time to time.

Snubbies can be difficult and not fun for some people.
    And semi-autos with double stack mags can be hard for some people to hold.

The size of the Meet & Shoots vary. The first and last ones of the year aren't as big. They tend to have more people in the hotter months.
    But, there will usually be plenty of pistols to try out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm actually off this day.
    So, I should be able to attend. I will list the guns later (I'll probably bring more pistols so that MegaTank can try some). I'll have to see if my Dad and one of my brothers will attend.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I'm actually off this day.
    So, I should be able to attend. I will list the guns later (I'll probably bring more pistols so that MegaTank can try some). I'll have to see if my Dad and one of my brothers will attend.
    They actually let you off 1 day in a row?:faint:

I won't know for sure until the Sunday before. That's when my wife gets her schedule.

Hope you can make it. The Ruger LC9s, on my list, is my wife's handgun (she chose herself) should you or your wife be interested in trying it. This is a great opportunity to meet great people and try out firearms. A lot of us travel about the same distance as you would be traveling too. Maybe a few .380's will make it there.

Come on nice weather!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    They actually let you off 1 day in a row?:faint:

Hope you can make it. The Ruger LC9s, on my list, is my wife's handgun (she chose herself) should you or your wife be interested in trying it. This is a great opportunity to meet great people and try out firearms. A lot of us travel about the same distance as you would be traveling too. Maybe a few .380's will make it there.

Come on nice weather!

Yes, they sometimes give me a day off.
    Then hold it over my head later.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    at this point I believe I'm in plus one or two maybe...

If anyone wants to shoot the 1919A6 bring 308 ammo... She will eat anything, the only thing I would say no to is corrosive stuff...

19192387hdrfil.jpg

I will also have some assorted 357 magnum revolvers and levers and I think the Marlin 45-70 and the 35 Remington will be out for the first M&S of the year also.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    at this point I believe I'm in plus one or two maybe...

If anyone wants to shoot the 1919A6 bring 308 ammo... She will eat anything, the only thing I would say no to is corrosive stuff...

19192387hdrfil.jpg

I will also have some assorted 357 magnum revolvers and levers and I think the Marlin 45-70 and the 35 Remington will be out for the first M&S of the year also.

In that case, I'm going to add 308 to the shopping list as I will be out and about tomorrow and have to pick up an order that arrived at Cabela's.

I'm going to attempt to get 1 or 2 others out. Gotta work on that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom