• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I picked up a Ceiner .22lr AR-15 conversion kit for my AR-15 at the August 1500 and just had a chance to use it today for the first time. I had hesitated on the Ceiner version because Ceiner seems to be getting a bad reputation, but with the supplies of M-261 kits drying up and the relative scarcity of the Olympic Arms kits, I decided to buy the Ceiner kit while I had the chance. I paid about $140 for it and it included the bolt, one 10-round magazine, a plastic storage box, and an instruction pamphlet.

50qv4h.jpg

I have to say I was quite impressed with the kit. It was just as easy to install as indicated. Literally took about 15 seconds. Just pop the rear takedown pin, pull the charging handle, remove the bolt carrier and replace it with the Ceiner bolt. Reassemble and you're good to go.

(Conversion kit shown with AR-15 bolt for comparison)
    5e74u9.jpg

The instructions say that you need to use high-powered .22LR ammo and that it may not function with standard velocity. I used cheap Winchester XPert 22 Hollowpoint (white box) ammo from Walmart and it worked flawlessly; not a single FTF or FTE. Note that you will need to lubricate the kit, though. I had to run a couple of rounds to see where it was rubbing so I could tell where to put a few drops of FP-10.

I shot from a couple of positions; standing, kneeling, and sitting on a bench. All shots were from about 100 feet, with both a red-dot scope and with iron sights. Even with my poor marksmanship skills, I was able to shoot 3" groupings which is plenty accurate enough for plinking (at least for me). I ended up putting maybe 70 rounds downrange. $1.40 vs $35 in ammo makes a .22 kit well worth the money. Afterward, I sent a couple of .223 rounds down to blow the crud out of the gas tube.

Unfortunately, I only had the 10-round mag that comes with the kit. I'm going to have to pick up a couple of Blackdog mags.

If you have an AR, I recommend picking up a .22 conversion kit. You won't be sorry that you spent the money. If you plink a lot, it will pay for itself after just a couple of outings.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom