• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I recently received my order from SGH. SGH is owned and operated by a sole proprietor named Erik Srigley in Minnesota. His "claim to fame" in holster design (as his company name suggests) is to protect your side from coming into contact with your weapon. He does this by cutting the inside layer of the holster so that it rises to the top of the slide. In addition, he assembles his holsters so that smooth leather is facing out front and back so you only have smooth leather against your body.

I ordered the 'Slide' OWB for my G17 and the 'Double Snap' IWB for my G30SF. I also ordered a double mag carrier and a belt. The total order was $180-very reasonable for hand made, custom leather goods. Like many leather holster makers, he has a backlog. I ordered the end of January and received my shipment mid-March, so about six weeks.

First, the holsters: I am very pleased with the design and workmanship of the holsters. Like a new leather holster should be, they were custom fit for my guns and arrived with a slightly overtight fit that quickly wore into a snug, but easy to draw fit. The color, fit and finish of the holsters is very good with one small exception: there is a dye imperfection on the muzzle end of the IWB on its back side (more on this later). The holsters are quite stiff with curvature molded in to help fit your hip. Both holsters hold my weapons close to my body as one would expect. I would grade the design and workmanship as B+. Not bad for $60.

The mag holder design is fine but there is a major problem with color. I ordered these goods at one time from one maker with the idea that I would have a matching set in brown. The front of the mag holder is so dark, it appears nearly black. The back of it is fine. It almost looks like the front got two or three more coats of dye than everything else. Mag grade: C.

The belt has been a big problem and I would not recommend ordering one from SGH. I ordered as per SGH's measuring directions and the first one arrived 10 inches too long. Obviously I returned it, requesting a new one. Unfortunately, it appears they tried to remake a belt of the correct length out of the first one. The result is that the belt holes are within an inch of the tip of the belt! In addition, SGH has the unusual design of putting 12 holes in the belt 3/4" apart. The belt is a single layer of leather and rather stiff. It functions OK but if I had it to do over again, I would spend the money at Beltman or High Noon. Belt grade: D

In summary, I have found Erik's holsters to be good looking, well designed and very functional. It is a good solution for someone who wants a custom made leather holster at a moderate price. I would not try to order another belt from SGH.

SideGuardHolsters - Album - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

2myurvb.jpg

rkbv3b.jpg

2hzim1k.jpg

21oputv.jpg

2luw7kk.jpg

2illn4l.jpg

30wqqlx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom