• Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This topic comes up quite a bit these days, so I thought I would share my experience with my new AR-15 .22 conversion kit from CMMG.

My Father, lovemywoods, has had a Ceiner kit for about 2 years now. Up until now, that has been my only exposure to these conversions. It runs well, but it came with a really crappy 10rd magazine. It was quickly replaced with Black Dog Mags, but he's had issues with broken feed lips (smoke polymer).

With the cost of 5.56/.223 hitting $.40+ these days, these conversions are easily justifiable with a little math. The cost of the CMMG kit with 1 magazine and a 550 pack of .22s is about $205. That equals about 512 rounds of .223. Therefore, the kit pays for itself in ammo cost savings in the first 500 rounds. Pretty sweet!

When I started looking for a kit, I knew Cwood at Indiana Supply Depot had the best price going. I realize that I pay Indiana sales tax this way, but to me its worth the few extra bucks to support a local guy that also supports INGO with his advertising dollars.

I got home today to find a nicely packaged box on my front porch. Here is what was inside!

qxrjhl.jpg

I got the kit plus 3 magazines. Here is a closer shot of the kit itself.

28k6ijn.jpg

Taking the items out of the plastic, here is what you're left with.

2laec68.jpg

2r7obys.jpg

2yoz8ti.jpg

2djnjb7.jpg

First impressions are good. The machining on the bolt looks well done, and the finish is nice and slick. Manually working the action is smooth, and there are no hiccups or burrs present. Everything locks up nice and clicks into place.

The magazines are actually what impressed me most. When looking at pictures of them online, they looked lightweight to me, like they were hollow mostly inside, and probably not very tough. I was very wrong. They've really got some nice heft to them, and the polymer seems really beefy. The feedlips look strong, so I hope they aren't prone to the same failures that some Black Dog Mags have been.

For anyone considering one of these, the question always comes up "Ok, just how easy is this to install/convert?"

I'll show you!

Step 1: Unload your weapon.
    348kitz.jpg

Step 2: Push out pin and rock open the upper.
    5nn19e.jpg

Step 3: Slide out your 5.56 bolt carrier group.
    2ezps2o.jpg

Step 4: With charging handle half way out, slide in your new conversion.
    123pb83.jpg

Step 5: Make sure conversion seats flush properly. Don't force anything.
    2w5uj68.jpg

Step 6: Close the two halves and push pin into place.
    2czadet.jpg

Step 7: Insert magazine and have some cheap fun!
    2na5oxh.jpg

All of this can be done in 30 seconds, at the range, without any tools. Changing back to 5.56 is just the same in reverse.

Here is what the conversion looks like completely installed.

2u7m8g2.jpg

28s8zkl.jpg

I hope this gives everyone an idea of what these offer, and how they work. I will be sure to post a range report when I get a chance to see what kind of .22s this conversion likes to eat.

Happy shooting! :ingo:

************UPDATE*******************

Range Report added: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._conversions-_cmmg_and_ceiner.html#post617864

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom