maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    SIG P6
    IMG_0005-1.jpg

This is my first sig. I have owned about 40+/- different handguns and I have to say that this pistol is amazing. It is a joy to shoot. Although there were some adjustments I had to make compared to shooting my Glock 19. This gun is chambered in the 9mm which is my preferred caliber for practice and ccw.
    IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

The Pros of this pistol are many.
    Ergonomic
    Reliable
    Perfect Size and length and weight is within my tolerance given the metal construction of this firearm (I want to say it is aluminum and steel)
    Double Action
    Single Action accuracy
    Tight Tolerances and appears to be very well made. It does not rattle a bit.
    Controls off the slide
    Sleek Lines that are aesthetically appealing
    All metal frame construction
    All metal guide rod
    Weight of gun reduces recoil
    Long first trigger pull
    Bobbed hammer so you can tell if the gun has been dropped or not
    Great sights and even better sight picture
    Nice Grips
    Easy to take down and reassemble
    Price-These go for 350-400 depending on your negotiating skills compared to other sigs you could get for around 750-800(?) At 350-400 this is a wonderful value. I absolutely love this pistol and probably will never get rid of it.

I have never held a firearm that is put together better than this one in my opinion. There is not a shake or rattle on the entire firearm. The gun fits my hand perfectly as if it were made just for me.

I shot about 150-200 rounds of fmj thru this pistol with no failures. I have heard that some people have trouble with jhp through the gun but I did not know this prior to my range trip. I did run some polymer tipped hornady critical defense through the pistol with flawless reliability. These are hollow points but not true hollow points due to the polymer tip. I wish I had known about the feed ramp design being for fmj or I would have tested with jhp in various brands. I think it would have ran them just fine simply because of the strength of the guide rod spring on this weapon.

Here are some cons I found of the gun:
    The decocker, though it is not on the slide, is almost in the same place my muscle memory says the slide stop/slide release is on my Glock 19. This may cause confusion in a tactical situation but I have been trying to get in the habit of racking the slide to release the slide. This has been in contrast to some of my older habits.
    The controls are great for a righty but a lefty might be at a definite disadvantage with this handgun. All the controls are to be actuated with the right thumb. I don't really know how a lefty would use this gun and not be at a disadvantage tactically.
    The other disadvantage is the lower capacity of 8 +1 rounds. This should be enough for most social encounters but you never know. The mag did not seem to enter the pistol intuitively but this may improve with practice and muscle memory.
    There is no chambered round indicator that I am aware of. The gun looks exactly the same loaded as unloaded. This should not be a problem if you follow firearm safety protocal (See the four rules)
    The controls on the firearm seem like they would tear up your fingers if you are racking the slide really fast without having your hand properly placed on the slide.
    There is no safety on the gun. This is not exactly a con for me but putting it in this section because it is something that it lacks that someone may want. I can do with or without it. Part of me prefers the simplicity of having no safety. It is much easier to train my wife how to use the gun without a safety. These confuse her and she prefers the simplicity of the glock. It is like pulling teeth to explain to her the difference between single and double action.
    The other thing I wish that it had was higher capacity than 8 +1 rounds but this does lend to a thinner design/better grip for me.
    I did some research on the mags and it looks like they go for around $50 (ouch!)
    Another con is that my finger (just the tip)can barely reach the front of the trigger guard. This may prove effective for gloved fingers though.
    Another con of the gun might be the height but I think it works for this firearm because, in my estimation, it is beautiful and nicely crafted.

This is a german surplus pistol and is similar to a p225 or p220(???). I cant seem to find a lot of information about this firearm and this surprises me because of the quality of this pistol. I need a belt holster for it. I have a holster with a thumb break from the person I traded. It will do but I would like to explore other options.

Accuracy was fine with the gun. I was shooting at about 21 feet. I was shooting low at first and this could have been due to the grip angle of my glock confusing my muscle memory. I must say that at first I was shooting very low but eventually I was able to get about 4-5 inch groups just below center of my target after about 2 mags. It would be wrong for me not to confess that I did have an accidental firing of the gun after coming out of recoil. The gun was pointed down range and hit the target but the point is that I did not intend to fire the weapon. I am not sure but I might attribute this to the longer reset and the difference in single and double action coupled with my extensive time shooting glocks(and inexperience with this weapon). I need more practice with this weapon before I can assess its reliability and before I can become proficient in the use of this firearm. Overall my experience was positive and I am eager to get your opinions and information on this firearm. I wish I would have taken pics of my target but it was raining and my hands were full at Atterbury so you have to take my word for it on the accuracy.
    IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/180134-sig_p6.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom