• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I am writing this in hopes to educate those in the firearms game to not buy cheap gear. I purchased this when I purchased my first AR. While I am happy with my purchase of the rifle, had I done my research, I probably would have gone with something different as well. Enough of that though, back to the sight.

I was looking for something to slap on my flat top upper to get me shooting. This fit the bill. I think I paid $20 cash for the sight, which was great for me because I was on a serious budget. Had I known then what I do now, I would have saved my money for a higher quality sight. Not sure what vendor I bought it from, but they sold it to me with no issues. Looked like this:
    picture.php

The sight was very easy to install. I put it in the T1 spot and tightened it down by hand and gave it just a little bit with a flat head screw driver. From here it was to the range. I got it dialed in at 50 yards fairly easily, however it should be noted that I had to put the sight way left in order to get it to zero. When I say way left, I mean 20 clicks, however it held zero.

Shortly after I got it sighted in, I mounted a red dot sight and kept the irons flipped down. I would estimate that I put maybe 200-300 rounds down range while aiming through the irons. I would say they were down for well over 1500 rounds.

This is where I embarrass myself, I showed up to a Rifle School with this thing mounted behind my Aimpoint. Within the first 50 rounds using irons only, I was noticing that I was dropping 2 of my 5 shots. Unsure of why I was dropping rounds, I began to look at everything, including myself, to figure out was going on. As I continued to shoot, I noticed that the sight was actually coming out of the fully up position and sticking in between the fully up position and the fully down position. For my next few rounds, I continued to check the rear sight and pushed it back up after every shot. With this method, I was able to get nice tight groupings. Being that it was in the middle of the day, I had some help of one of the armorers who was on site to fix my sight.
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

YUP! Tape, silver duck tape to be exact. There was nothing that could be tightened down on this site to prevent it from coming backwards and because it lacks anything locking it when it is up, this had to be done. I will say, I continued the week long course with the sight just like this and it ran great! I didn't have any issues out of it the rest of the course. I like working with the irons up all the time behind my Aimpoint, I actually ordered a fixed rear sight from a much more reputable company, LMT.

Pros:
    -Very cheap, which was great on my wallet, however having to buy another sight actually cost me more money and wasted more of my time as I had to resight my gun in.
    -Maintained Zero once it was taped up
    -All metal design was durable

Cons:
    -No locking mechanism to keep the sight from falling back after every shot making it completely worthless as a "flip-up" sight.
    -Had to be 20+ clicks left in order to get zero
    -Clicks were not very positive and sometimes felt as if you may have gone two clicks when meaning to go one.

Final thoughts:
    Always do your homework when buying rifle parts, yes it may be cheap when you buy it, but it may end up just being a wastE of money when you have to buy another sight to replace the cheap one you bought. It also wastes your time and money as you have to buy more ammo to resight it in. I would never trust this Sight on any gun of mine ever again as it would be no use to have it unless I had some tape with me to keep it up. Like I said, this was a purchase made for my first AR while I was on a low budget, however if I could do it again, I would have saved my money up for a better sight. Good products generally cost more for a reason, I now have a full understanding of why.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom