• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    One day I decided that I did not want to continue using the standard sling attachments on my ar-15 because I didn't like the way the rifle hung against my body. So I started reading reviews and searching for an attachment I could add that would solve the problem. It didn't take long before I was nearly overwhelmed with the vast number of choices available. I determined that the standard attachment point on the barrel was perfectly fine for me, and that what I needed was only a new rear attachment point. I also decided that although it didn't look too difficult, I did not want to mess with any sort of gunsmithing (i.e. removing the buffer tube) to get the thing on my rifle. I learned that what I wanted was called an "end plate sling adapter." The great thing about these is that they simply slide over the buffer tube and then tighten down with a set screw.

After much YouTube watching and reading of user reviews, I finally decided on a Midwest Industries adapter. I read that the quality was great and saw that the price was much lower than its competitors. Here is a link to the MI website:

Midwest Industries: End Plate Sling Adapters

I chose to go with the MCTAR-14 model because I thought it would give me the greatest amount of flexibility should I get a different style of sling in the future. I purchased from Amazon and paid $41 (with free shipping!).

My first impression of the adapter was that it lived up to the reviews I read about it: it felt very solid. I was a little worried about the set screw being dinky and therefore continually loosening up. However, this worry was quickly put to rest once I saw it.

Indeed, the installation was super easy. It took less than two minutes. Once installed, I felt very confident about how secure the adapter was held in place by both its fit against the buffer tube and receiver and also the beefiness of the set screw. Here are some pictures of it installed:

IMG_4117.jpg

The only "problem" I had with the adapter was that my sling's HK-style clip was too thick to fit into the adaptor's slot. I can't fault the product though, because really this model of adapter is meant for a nylon sling to be threaded through it. Here is a picture of this:

IMG_4118.jpg

In fact, I actually anticipated that this would be the case, so I wasn't surprised. I purposely chose this model because I wanted to not have to buy another adapter if I ever get a sling without a clip system. My plan to overcome this "problem" was simple: use some accessory cord to allow my clip to work. I simply wrapped the cord a few times through the slot, then tied it off. Here are some pictures of it:

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

Overall, I am really happy with the MI adapter, and my decision to purchase the MCTAR-14 model. My cord modification works great, and if I am not using my sling I can simply push the little cord loop flush to the stock and it stays out of the way. One great benefit of the cord modification is that when moving around the metal clip isn't loudly banging against the adapter.
    I am sure that some of the "premium" brands' adapter may be a bit better, but for my purposes (i.e. not military, law enforcement, or competition shooting), I can't imagine needing - or paying substantially more for - anything other than what this product offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom