Review: Galco Vertical Shoulder Holster (VHS)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Galco VHS (Vertical Holster System)

GALVHS202_2%20Galco%20vertical%20shoulder%20holster.jpg

Santa brought me a shoulder holster this year, and I really wanted to like it. I’d requested it due to the dress code for my current assignment and the cold weather making it difficult to access a belt holster quickly, especially while seated in a car, and I thought this might be the answer.

I broke it in properly and have 800+ practice draws from the holster now. 500+ without a cover garment, 200+ with a suit jacket cover garment, 100+ with a suit jacket and over coat. I spent about 300 draws getting the straps set up to best length for me and then went on to add layers. As I went I made minor adjustments, but in the end, it doesn’t fit my needs.

1) Quality: Galco makes a good product. The leather looks good, its formed well, and the screw hardware looks good. I am surprised at the use of plastic for the “X” in the back and some of the buckles. I would prefer metal for these items and at the near $200 price point was disappointed. That said, the plastic will likely hold up just fine and looks ok.
    2) Fitment: Like most quality holsters, its very tight out of the box. I ended up putting two freezer bags over my Sig P220 to stretch it. Even now the retention is good, even without the thumb snap you could do jumping jacks and then hang from the monkey bars without ever worrying about the pistol coming out.
    3) Comfort: This is my first shoulder holster, so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I never notice the weight of my pistol in a belt holster. After 4 hours of “test wearing” around the house, my shoulders noticed. I don’t think an 8.5+ hour shift would be comfortable. The wide leather shoulder straps keep it from feeling like its digging in, it just gets tiresome on your shoulder muscles.
    4) Draw stroke, non concealed: Without a cover garment, once you get the straps adjusted and learn the draw stroke, you can quickly and easily draw IF YOU DON’T USE THE THUMB BREAK. The thumb break is terrible as it makes drawing a two step process. Unlike a good holster where you snap the thumb break as you get your grip, you must break the thumb snap and then go back for your grip. The thumb break snaps in a horizontal motion and the pistol draws vertically. If you attempt to do this in one motion the pistol will bind in the holster and not come out smoothly, or at all. Luckily the retention is such that the thumb break isn’t mandatory and its designed to snap completely off.
    5) Draw stroke, concealed: Everything said above about the thumb break applies equally here. In short, its terrible, at least for someone of my build (large) and with my weapon (Sig P220). I’ve about jerked my nipple off with the Sig’s hammer several times trying to keep it close to my body as I drew from a buttoned jacket. I’ve stuck my hand in my inside pocket several times failing to get a grip on the pistol, but these can be blamed on me. What’s definitely an issue with the holster is that if you sit in your vehicle (leaned back slightly) the holster slides back out of easy reach. Putting on a heavy jacket and moving seems to cause the same thing. I’ve adjusted the straps to several different positions, all with the same results. The draw is fine when I first put it on, but it then slides back. The VHS is designed to not allow belt tie downs on the holster side and its simply not stable enough.
    6) Ammo pouch: Works fine, but won’t accept my 10 round Sig mags. It will hold 8 rounders with no problem and the tension screw works as advertised. You can set them to free fall or where they hang a bit, as you choose. This does have a tie down, so you could keep one tie down on to keep the “x” centered on your back.
    7) Suggested improvements: A cant option and the option of a belt tie down. If this holster would tilt about 20-30 degrees toward your strong side it would be perfect. It would be easier to grip, to draw, and the lack of stability wouldn’t be such an issue. If it remained an issue a belt tie down would alleviate it. It would remain more concealable with a large pistol than a horizontal holster.

Who should consider this holster: People who aren’t going to wear a belt on their outer garment, such as pilots or tankers who wear nomex overalls, soldiers in BDUs, etc. People looking for an easy on, easy off rig for sporting purposes might find it suits their needs as well. Say carrying a large frame revolver for hunting.
    Who should probably consider something else: Anyone looking for a fast access defensive weapon who is going to conceal it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom