• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Review: Safariland 6378 Level II Concealment Holster (includes paddle and belt loops for 1.5" to 1.75")

I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a Safariland 6378 (paddle and loop) for my Gen 4 G23. I wanted something similar to the 6360 duty holster. I paid $37 brand new off eBay. I gotta say, it's an amazing piece for the price. Retention is perfect. The thumb release is very smooth.

I apologize for the grainy pics. I will get better ones to include.

photo39.jpg

photo38.jpg

photo37.jpg

Finish: I ordered the plain "STX" black, which is great. It's a flat, smooth, black finish. I tried to scratch it with my fingernail and the scratches mostly just wipe away or go extremely light. It seems like a great finish. The inside of the holster has a thin suede lining "to protect finishes". It's my duty weapon, though, so I'm not too worried about that. Apparently the "SAFARILAMINATE" finish is supposed to withstand heat soak of temperatures up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Retention: Adjustable friction retention and the Level II release is super smooth and intuitive. I'm a huge proponent of the ALS system. It's natural to swipe the release while pulling up on the weapon. For those that don't know, the ALS system hooks to the ejection port area of the weapon and employs a small thumb-activated release on the hip-side of the holster. As you go for a high grip on the weapon, my thumb naturally lands on the release. A quick swipe back releases the weapon from the holster. You can see the screw on the outside of the holster near the triggerguard. That is the adjustable friction release. Mine from the factory seemed about right. No break-in period was needed. The pistol fits perfectly without wobble.

*Note for ALS holsters for pistols with mounted lights: The ALS system hooks to the ejection port area of the pistol. It will retain the weapon without a light (at least my 6360 does) as long as when holstering the pistol, you keep the gun towards the top of the holster.*

Paddle retention: Even with a 1.25" bullhide belt (hook is set up on the paddle for 1.5"), the combo of the paddle and hook keep the holster attached to your hip EXTREMELY well. It's not coming out. Retention is even better with a 1.5" belt. I'd even say it's a pain to remove and put on. It has a slight cant... almost 10 degrees with the paddle. The belt loops allow for more cant adjustment. For those worried about the paddle "coming" out, especially for OC or plain clothes LE use... don't worry. I could not get the holster to come out no matter how hard I tried. it takes prying the holster away from the paddle to slide it over the belt, avoiding the hook on the holster while doing it.

Concealment/Profile: It's a slightly bulkier profile, but with a good belt, I'd say it's a pretty good concealment piece. It rides high enough for me. It conceals a heck of a lot better than a Serpa. Due to the ALS system, I don't see these holsters getting much smaller. They could probably cut some bulk out, but the thing feels like it is built like a tank.

Picture with just a thin t-shirt. I have an athletic build and like smaller-sized shirts. As you can see, the bulk makes it difficult to conceal with something so thin. Hence why I recommend another holster for better concealment. But, with a button-up shirt or light jacket, it's fine.

photo36.jpg

Comfort: The paddle is very comfortable and contours very well. It's probably the best paddle I've used. Some of Safariland's other models have more of a triangular shaped paddle that is uncomfortable to me. This one seems to be molded to curve around the hip. And it does not go too far down the hip, so you can lean to your gun side without it digging in. With a good belt, it stays tight to the body, enhancing comfort.

Quick Release Accessories: This holster along with Safariland's other holsters, can be used with some of their quick release gear. So, you can unhook the holster from one platform and place it on another, like a duty belt or thigh platform. This makes these holsters very versatile.

If you're looking for deep concealment, this is not it. But, it's a great concealment paddle with Level II retention. I HIGHLY recommend picking one up. The price is minimal. I usually don't like "big box" concealment holsters, but I really like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom