esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    TitlePic.png

What is a "gun belt"?

A "gun belt" is a belt designed specifically to accommodate the added weight and bulk of carrying a firearm. While this definition could also be used to describe belts made specifically for USPSA or cowboy action shooting, this review will be limited to those belts that also fit into the dress and style of everyday casual wear.

Why a gun belt?

A good gun belt will differ from a traditional casual belt in several ways. It will be stiffer along its height and length, it will have a secure buckle, and some will be thicker in width.

These characteristics help spread the uneven weight of a firearm across the belt's entire circumference and aid in keeping the holster and firearm in place and secure while carrying and while drawing/reholstering.

A good gun belt will make a bad holster workable, while a $150 custom holster will still feel uncomfortable on a regular belt.

What materials are gun belts made from?

There are many different types of gun belts made from several different materials, but the goal of each is the same-- provide enough stiffness to support the weight of a firearm.

Many are made from leather, both cowhide and horsehide. But as technology advances and new materials are produced, many synthetics are now being introduced. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

This review includes 5 different belts that I've personally owned and worn over the past 5 years. Three are 100% leather, one is nylon with a synthetic stiffener, and one is leather with a synthetic stiffener.

This is not meant as an all-inclusive review of available options, but rather a review of my experiences with the gun belts I've tried.

BeltsOnTogether.png

Starting with the LEAST expensive . . . . . .

Title-Cabelas.png

Not only is this one of the least expensive belts I've owned, its also the one I've had the shortest amount of time to evaluate. Purchasing on the recommendation of fellow INGOer melensdad, I received the Double Duty about a week ago and have been wearing it daily since.

It is VERY stiff, and therefore does a great job of carrying my loaded M&P9 in a Raven Phantom holster. Here you can see how well the belt fully supports its own weight.

Belts-09.jpg

It is also the thickest belt I've tried.

Belts-01.jpg

Belts-23.jpg

The hardware holding the buckle to the belt is kinda puny. They are small snaps made from very lightweight metal. This, along with thinner stitching, is most likely a cost-cutting feature for getting its pricepoint so incredibly low.

Belts-22.jpg

Branding on the interior is very low-key.

Belts-24.jpg

One area of concern I do have is with the belt's finish. It looks good now, but I'm worried it won't last past a year's use. If I bend the belt the opposite direction the thin surface wrinkles and I wonder if cracks will eventually form on those lines. Time will tell.

Belts-25.jpg

Although I've been using the buckle as shown in the first picture, the belt could also be threaded through both sides of the buckle. I don't believe this changes anything, and is just a matter of personal preference.

Belts-26.jpg

I believe the Cabela's Double Duty represents an EXCELLENT value in gun belts. While it may not be as durable or last as long, at just $20 one could buy several of them before matching the price of the top contender in this review. Even at its full retail price of $40 I would recommend it. :yesway:

Title-Boston.png

This was my first "gun belt". I say "gun belt" because it qualifies in name only. The description on the cop shop website where I purchased it made it sound like it was the perfect belt to hang a firearm off of. They lied. This belt is no different than any of the hundreds I could buy at my local Kohls.

Stiff? No way. Maybe slightly more than some casual belts, but certainly not stiff enough to hang a gun off of.

Belts-10.jpg

Being just a single layer, it is the thinnest belt of the bunch.

Belts-04.jpg

Belts-36.jpg

The buckle is held to the belt with snaps, though they are bigger than those of the Cabela's offering.

Belts-33.jpg

Branding on the lining is bright gold.

Belts-34.jpg

:patriot:

Belts-35.jpg

Although I wouldn't recommend using this as a gun belt, the belt has held up quite well overall and I would recommend it as a regular casual belt. But this is a gun belt review, so it gets a :noway:.

Title-511Leather.png

This belt from 5.11 was purchased after my disappointment with the Boston Leather offering. The fact that it was leather but with a synthetic stiffener between the layers was what drew me to it.

The stiffener does its job and makes it a very stiff belt suitable for carrying a holstered firearm.

Belts-11.jpg

The benefit to the synthetic stiffener is that it doesn't require thickness to achieve stiffness.

Belts-02.jpg

The buckle hardware gets an upgrade here, with Chicago screws being used to secure the belt to the buckle.

Belts-18.jpg

Like most 5.11 gear, the belt was branded in several places. Some may like these unique touches while others will find them unnecessary or overdone.

Belts-15.jpg

Belts-16.jpg

Belts-19.jpg

An added feature is a "handcuff key keeper". It looks useless to me, and only served to catch on my holster and mag pouch every time I threaded the belt.

Belts-17.jpg

The MAJOR issue I've had with this belt is the finish. It has worn faster than any other belt I've owned. And the wear spots are happening in increasingly more visible areas.

Belts-14.jpg

I like the synthetic stiffener, as it adds rigidity without added bulk. But the poor finish means replacement will come sooner than it should with a $40 belt. :yesway: for function and :noway: for form.

Title-511Operator.png

I purchased this belt for range duty as an alternative to the popular The Wilderness offerings. As such, it has worked well.

Again, the synthetic stiffener turns the otherwise flimsy nylon mesh belt into a belt capable of carrying a firearm.

Belts-13.jpg

Its decently thick and very rugged.

Belts-05.jpg

Here you can see how the belt is threaded through its unique buckle. Even though the closure is velcro, it is incredibly strong.

Belts-30.jpg

Belts-31.jpg

The easiest way to attach the velcro strip is right over the belt loop.

Belts-48.jpg

If this bothers the OCD amongst us, it can also be threaded underneath the loop with a little careful effort.

Belts-49.jpg

The branding is a bit more subtle here.

Belts-29.jpg

Belts-28.jpg

The downside to a 1.75" belt is having to ensure that your holster loops are sized to match. Most holster loops come standard as 1.5" but can be ordered with 1.75" loops. It makes a difference.

Belts-06.jpg

While this style is a departure from the traditional and therefore working only on the range or in "outdoors-y" settings, it makes a wonderfully solid gun belt. The all-synthetic nature of it also makes it ideal for wet environments where leather would quickly fail. For just such cases I would certainly recommend it. :yesway:

Title-Beltman.png

This bullhide belt from The Beltman actually belongs to lovemywoods. He loaned me one of his other Beltman belts for a few weeks last year, but he's worn this one regularly for the past 5 years.

Much like the new Cabela's belt, this well-used Beltman is still very stiff with its 2 layers of leather.

Belts-12.jpg

And it maintains its stiffness while being slightly thinner than the Double Duty.

Belts-03.jpg

Belts-38.jpg

The place where the Beltman really starts to separate itself from the pack is in its quality hardware and construction. Beefy Chicago screws and thick stitching have kept this belt together even after many years of regular use. If replacement hardware is ever necessary, the belt can be disassembled and an alternate buckle could be used.

Belts-39.jpg

It is a very handsome belt, with the lining maintaining its natural leather color.

Belts-41.jpg

I could only find two minor issues with the belt. First was the amount of wear present on the buckle. As noted above it could be changed out at the owner's will. Second was the separation of the leather layers in between the buckle holes. You can't see it, but you can 'feel' it with your fingers. This makes sense as this area would receive the most punishment as the belt is put on and taken off. It didn't appear to affect function. The belt itself still looks fantastic, with very few signs of wear.

Belts-40.jpg

As with any purchase, it often comes down to the matter of value. The Beltman costs $80, which is 4 times the cost of the Double Duty. However, due to lesser-quality hardware and potential finish issues, I don't believe the Double Duty will last anywhere close to how long the Beltman will last (before a replacement is warranted). I predict the Double Duty will last a year. So as long as the Beltman belt lasts more than 4 years, its a better value.

So to recap . . . .

Prices.png

If you can afford the initial cost and are the kind of person that wears the same belt for 4+ years, The Beltman belt is actually the best value.

If you are more fickle but still want a belt to get you through the next year, go with the Double Duty.

I would pass on the 5.11 Leather Casual Belt due to its quickly deteriorating finish.

I would also pass on the Boston Leather Off-Duty belt due to its inability to support a firearm.

For an all-weather belt that works on the range or the trail, give the 5.11 Operator belt a try.

I hope this review, although limited, has provided at least some amount of value to the reader. Regardless of what gun belt you decide to purchase, just be sure that its up to the task.

Good luck! :ingo:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom