• Status
    Not open for further replies.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I first met Jeff (GPD177) last year when he became interested in advertising his holster-making venture here on INGO. He's a LEO, and I happen to work in his jurisdiction.

When I needed a single mag pouch for an upcoming training event, I asked Jeff what his current lead time was-- he said he could have it back to me in 2 days. He then asked me several questions like What magazine (M&P9), What belt size (1.5"), What color (black), What side (weak side), and What orientation (bullets forward). He jotted down my answers in his notebook, and 2 days later stopped back by my workplace with the finished product.

Initial inspection was positive. The kydex seemed thick and of good quality. The molding was clear. The hardware was seated well and nothing was loose or sloppy.

m9sneo.jpg

2ziwlc3.jpg

There were only two things I didn't like. First, the overall footprint of the pouch seemed large for only holding a single magazine. This was relatively minor, as it just took up slightly more belt real estate than I was anticipating.

The second issue was more noteworthy. While insertion and removal of a magazine was super smooth, the pouch would not retain a magazine as firmly as I preferred. Inverting the pouch resulted in even an empty magazine falling out. After another PM to Jeff, he again stopped by my workplace and listened while I explained the issue.

The very next day he was back with the improved pouch. Jeff showed me the issue he had to overcome with building in retention to the M&P magazine. In this improved version he was much more aggressive and put a nice deep dimple in the rear of the pouch to help keep the magazine locked into place. Now even a fully loaded magazine stayed in place while inverted.

f9l6t.jpg

e05rm8.jpg

I've now used the pouch for a couple of weeks, including one training session where the pouch really got a workout. Its served its purpose quite well and I've been very happy with my experience with Jeff and Hooch Holsters.

2s1m4p2.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sher_with_local_training_group_pics_vids.html

So to recap:

Pros

• Good overall construction
    • Great value ($25)
    • Excellent customer service
    • Incredible turnaround time
    • Quick and friendly after-purchase support
    Cons

• Slightly large for single mag carrier
    • Subpar retention (fixed at no additional cost)

I will continue to patronize Hooch Holsters for certain projects. The fact that he's local and inexpensive is a big plus. In fact I need to talk to Jeff about a small knife sheath idea I've got cooking. Looks like I'm gonna have to again explain to my boss why "that SWAT cop" keeps coming around. :D

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom