• Status
    Not open for further replies.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    At the last 1500, I picked up the ESEE Ethan Becker Signature Series kitchen knife set from Knifelady. I've now had them a couple weeks and have had the opportunity to use them to prepare several meals.

The set includes:

7" Santoku Knife
    6 3/4" French Cook Knife
    5 1/4" Santoku Knife
    6" Utility Knife

c6bccaa89c0b45812fa76e7298ecc3f7_zps2b6db601.jpg

The steel is German DIN 1.4116 stainless steel which is similar to 420. It's actually used more for surgical tools than knives which makes it very stain resistant. The trade off, you will have to strop or sharpen more frequently than other steels. Overall, a good quality steel hardened to HRC 56-58.

Full flat grind on each blade and since its an ESEE product, the transferrable, no questions asked lifetime warranty is included with this set.

My first impressions handling the knives at the 1500 was equal parts impressed with the appearance, balance and ergonomics and concern about the thinness of the blades. It almost felt fragile. So I didn't buy right away and gave the rest of the show to think it over. I decided Jeff Randall wouldn't put his name on something fragile and I was right.

We do a lot of cooking at home. I basically cook 3 meals a day when I'm home. The wife does the same the weeks I'm on the road. The knives have gotten a serious work out between the two of us.

Out of the box, these knives are razor sharp. The Santoku knives do an amazing job of chopping, slicing and dicing. They are extremely lightweight and well balanced. Potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, kale, spinach, bok choy, broccoli, anything I've thrown at it has been no problem. I've used the Santoku knives the most by far. The 5 1/4" has been my go to for most tasks.

8A4C5DF9-EDBC-4B40-987D-DBCCABC507B8-557-00000052ADC84C1F_zps1e79b33f.jpg

84C957A3-248B-4CDA-9856-B2E747D42051-557-000000529AA95D56_zpse83b6b60.jpg

879645B5-DC71-4F03-A623-0B187053F7AC-557-00000052A4DBD68F_zps1bb061af.jpg

The utility knife does an outstanding job of filleting skin off of salmon. I really haven't had a knife that worked well for this except the fillet knife I use when cleaning fish but that sucker stinks. I've been using my ESEE 3 for this task which was ok but time consuming. The utility knife has made a huge difference. It also works great to cut strips or cube chicken, pork, steak or deer.

The French Knife has more of a curve which makes it easier to create the rocking motion when chopping, slicing or dicing. Honestly, my wife likes this knife better than I do. The rocking motion comes easier for her but for me I feel like I have less control. I'm glad to have it in the set as its really become my wife's go to chopper. Here's a pic she took using it to slice some chicken strips...

DC7FC123-5DFA-42DD-BB96-EB8AE7084B99-557-00000052BA1211C5_zps7b9858a1.jpg

The knifes are dish washer safe....in theory. I would never, ever put these knives in a dishwasher. They will rust. These knives should be hand washed, dried and put away. Speaking of putting away, the tray that comes with the set is great for appearances but is too flimsy to keep them in long term. A knife block would be a great option.

The edge does not stay as long as I would like. I use either a plastic or bamboo cutting board. Good news is the steel sharpens back up quickly with some laps on the strop.

Overall, I can't believe the value you get for these high quality knives and the best warranty in the business. The whole set can be had for around $100! I would absolutely buy this set as a gift for friends and family and know I hit a home run.

If you do any cooking and do not have a good set of knives, you will be amazed at the difference it makes. It really is money well spent.

Contact Brads Knives and Knifelady for ordering info.

Link To Original Thread: ingunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/284572-review_esee_becker_signature_series_kitchen_knives.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom