• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got my new Howa out yesterday morning for some test an tune. After reading a lot of different loads an such that people were having very good results with, I loaded up about 8 different loads to work from. After following the manufactures recommended break in, I started testing. It seems that this rifle is going to like the lighter powder loads, Im thinking this might be due to the shorter 20" barrel?.... The best groups of the day were loaded on the lighter side of the load map. Load info an groups below. Going to get back out an keep working an see how much I can get those to shrink. As far as the rifle its self goes I love it, performed very well. I did end up adding some weight to the buttstock of the rifle to add a little balance to the rifle which I think helped out a bit. After break in, the rifle was spot on with just a few adjustments an had it on paper and dialing in. Only problems with the rifle I have are of course the stock itself and the bolt handle. The stock is ok but is flimsy in the fore end and I'm wanting to try an make this a true precision rifle so it will need improved an the new one bedded in. The bolt handle is a bit small trying to manipulate with the scope mounted. works fine just would be easier with a tactical bolt knob installed. All in all if your looking for a different style of heavy barreled 308 rifle for precision shooting and not wanting the standard Savage or Remington offerings, don't be afraid to go with a Howa. I'm very pleased and now can see why they are spoken of so highly.

The rifle in question :D
    Howa1500_zpsc0009b08.jpg

All shots taken off bench at 100yrds

43.1gr Varget, 168gr Sierra HPBT, CCI 200, 2.805 COL, Group dia .980"

Pic-04282013-001_zps1b46ae83.jpg

Best group of the day!
    41.8gr IMR 4064, 168gr Sierra HPBT, CCI 200, 2.805 COL, Group dia .715"
    Pic-04272013-001_zps6a493b9d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom