• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Alright guys, I am a pretty big RCS fanboy. I had one of the first moduloader shotgun shell panels, one of the first pre-released VG2s, and one of the first moduloader bases for taco pouches. Naturally, when Raven released their light clip for the G and P series surefire lights, I had to get one.

Prior to ordering this clip a streamlight PT2L was in my pocket every day. It was light, bright, and easy to pull out and use. I wasn't looking for something to replace it, but I ordered the clip, so I decided to try a surefire hand held light in my pocket for awhile.
    When the RCS light clip showed up I put it on my Surefire G2 Nitrolon and shoved it into my pocket. I was a little hesitant about carrying a bigger light for EDC, but it hasn't been bad at all.
    Streamlight PT2L:
    9254112330_c22d2ebb34.jpg

Surefire G2:
    9251329581_8431d0df7d.jpg

Lights side by side:
    9251340153_a01136179f.jpg

The RCS light clip comes with a removable oring for the "ring technique." If you are anything like me, you are wondering what the hell the "ring-technique" is. Well raven has posted a few images where the shooter is able to have the light hang along the back of his hand while reloading or other manipulations. I liked this idea since I was always taught that the light goes into a pocket/pouch/under your armpit/ anywhere else so it is out of your hands when you need it :/

When I drew the PT2l out of my pocket I would pinch the tail cap of the light between my first finger and thumb and pull straight up. I would then continue to pull the light up until it was at about my chest level and I could wrap my fingers around it and then move my thumb to the switch on the back.
    Using the iDryfire app, I was able to time my draw of the PT2L. The average of 10 draws (I recorded 11 and dropped the slowest) was 1.585 seconds. Here are the times from fastest to slowest:

[STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
    PT2L in the pocket:
    9254115134_46fe40f64b.jpg

PT2L draw:
    9251342161_4d6162137f.jpg

When I first started drawing the surefire with the RCS clip i tried to draw it the same way I did the streamlight. It worked, but my finger wasn't going into the oring and defeating the purpose of it being there. After so messing around with the light and clip I realized that if I hooked my first finger into my pocket and pulled up on it I was able to get the oring around my first finger and into my hand very quickly.After getting the hang of how to draw the Surefire with the RCS clip I did the same timing with that set up with a average draw of 1.63 seconds:

[STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
    Surefire G2 in the pocket:
    9251337253_60c74ed0d7.jpg

Surefire G2 draw:
    9251344283_95f57fe2d6.jpg

I had a faster draw with the RCS clip, but I was more consistent with the streamlight. This could be because of the much greater amount of practice I have with the Streamlight.

During the timing with the Surefire and RCS clip, I did have one weird issue (shown below) where the oring pulled the clip almost off the light. The rest of the time the clip has worked perfectly, and I have even gotten to try it out on my Blackhawk night-ops legacy 6p with no problems what so ever. I believe the tail cap of the surefire was not screwed in enough and caused the clip to be able to slide up and work loose.
    9254108492_bd4dab8ca4.jpg

Now since this is about the light clip, and not the light output, I won't say anything about needing a new light module for the surefire. As far a clips go, if you have a Surefire, the finger ring is pretty cool, and you should try it if you get a chance. For those of you with a pocket light without the loop, you can still be effective and draw the light pretty quick, but if you get a chance to try one out, you will like it.

I'm writing this pretty late, but if you have any questions, or I missed anything, let me know and I will try to answer them.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to bump this up for some more views. I just got a Thyrm light clip today, and after I get a little more time with it I will add to this review with the pros and cons to that light clip as well (my first impressions are positive, and I like it a lot more than I liked the RCS one at first, time will tell if it stays on my light)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    UPDATE!

I saw the pictures and videos of the Thyrm switchback online and liked the concept. I always carry a pocket light, even when I carry a weapon mounted light. It just goes back to the thought of drawing your gun to find your keys in the Target parking lot. I'd rather have a pocket light so that I don't have to point my gun at everything I want to shine my light at. Already owning the Raven Concealment Systems pocket clip for the surefire 1" lights, I was used to drawing a light with the ring, and I think that played a little bit into how quickly I was able to draw the light. I did the same timing system that I did with the previous lights (11 times, drop the lowest) and came up with an average time of 1.434 seconds:

Thyrm clip on light:
    14486252759_f84e2d660f_m.jpg

Thyrm in the left pocket:
    14669713171_ff3f853693_m.jpg

Thyrm in the right pocket *gasp*:
    14486242950_087f4cdf44_m.jpg

Thrym draw:
    14672595362_a57004362a_m.jpg

One of the advantages of the Thyrm is that it can be directed toward the threat while maintaining a two hand grip on a pistol. I found that the light can be drawn from the pocket this way as well. I did the same timing (honestly could have used a little more practice before timing, but I wanted to get the review done) and got an average of 1.505 seconds:

Drawing the light in this manor:
    14486458677_afdf974cd5_m.jpg

14692800933_999d849a67_m.jpg

Another advantage of the Thyrm that I hinted at above is that it can easily be carried in the right pocket too. I think this will be an advantage when I am in an airport, or somewhere else where firearms are not allowed. For a defensive weapon, the Thyrm ups the usage of the light with the thumb nub. Holding the light in a traditional way points the nub out and would leave a nasty welt if you were hit by it.

The nasty nub:
    14670590544_d3520fd20b_m.jpg

Here are some pictures of the light with a gun and using the forward flipped light. The light activates easily in this fashion, but getting used to acquiring the proper grip quickly will still take some time. While I continue to work on it though, I can still use the Harries method.

Left side:
    14486280898_0561f3fbe3_m.jpg

Right side:
    14486457637_6c32c558ee_m.jpg

Overall I really like this clip. I honestly think it will be permanently replacing the RCS clip. The only potential issue I see with this clip is the clip it's self. The clip seems thin and is probably the weakest part of this upgrade. Not a huge deal, as the set up is cheap, and I bought it for the ring anyway, but time will tell and I will update if it does snap off.

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Another thing I forgot to mention:
    i did not test either the RCS clip and ring or the Thyrm clip and ring while doing manipulations or reloads, but I will try to test them both on that and report back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom