• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    2009 INGO Mosin Nagant Group Shoot AAR

December 12, 2009. It's a sunny day in Noblesville, the temperature is a balmy 30F. Just right to induct the 2009 graduating class of the INGO Brotherhood of the Fireball.

Welcome, Libertarian01, RogerB, miguel, 49CJ3A, AndyCCW, hotfarmboy1, mrw, ATF Consumer, and returning 2008 alumnus danielocean03!

We had some extremely cold weather and blustery winds this week leading up to today's shoot, but we couldn't have asked for a more perfect day to hit the range!

Following sign-in and our safety briefing, we headed down to the rifle range to set up.

2132p1c.jpg

A small selection of this year's hardware

167ta86.jpg

fx83r7.jpg

w0lw04.jpg

246w6xh.jpg

Енот на мою голову!
    Libertarian01 shows off his authentic Red Army fur hat. No, it is not trying to eat his head.

21mgi2u.jpg

When wearing the Communist Hat, he can only shoot Lefty.:lmfao:

24ysdns.jpg

The Brotherhood unleashes a barrage that I have no doubt generated phone calls from neighbors.

aue25l.jpg

Time to check the damage

2rpy2ie.jpg

The Zombie Army isn't looking too good. Of course, the Brotherhood's aim isn't looking to good, either.

sb0gv6.jpg

1z3yz3o.jpg

Now that the Zombies have been defeated, it's time to break camp and head for the mess

ic94r8.jpg

A fine tailgate spread, with one sad looking hotdog left on the grill

10xsqk6.jpg

danielocean03 was the winner of the 2009 INGO Mosin Nagant Shoot Official Door Prize: A 15oz coffee mug emblazoned with the logo of the Tula Ordnance Factory

1zbw86g.jpg

I want to thank everyone who took time out to participate in this year's shoot. I feel very privileged to be a part of INGO and to be able to have the opportunity to get together with friends for an event like this. I also want to thank mrw for giving me a hand in the organizing of the shoot. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to next year!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Awesome! Thanks to the hosts for hosting, the attendees for attending, and the photographers for snapping some pics for the rest of us!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Dang I can never seem to get a good pic at these events. In the group pic the sun is in my eyes even with my sunglasses on so i was looking down, and the other you caught me working the bolt and looking like I had to take a major:poop:

But either way I had a great time and look forward to next time. Now I just gotta clean both of my fireball makers. Thanks again Scutter and mrw for setting this up and having us out. I had a blast! :rockwoot:

49CJ3A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks scutter and mrw for hosting the event. I was a great time and looking forward to another event.

Enjoyed meeting everyone and thanks to RogerB for letting me crank out 5 rounds from your M38.

I have a few pics on my blackberry I'll work on posting them tomorrow.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I've spent the past 90 minutes researching my sticky bolt...videos will have to wait until tomorrow... :(

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've spent the past 90 minutes researching my sticky bolt...videos will have to wait until tomorrow... :(

Sure you've already gotten this advice, but clean that chamber really, really well with some Hoppes 9 and a 20gage copper brush. I did mine with a cordless drill to really work it good.

Soak the bolt head in some solvent as well. Years of lacquer ammo and cosmoline can stick them pretty tight. Tight enough that a friend snapped the extractor on his M44 trying to cycle a stuck bolt.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Sure you've already gotten this advice, but clean that chamber really, really well with some Hoppes 9 and a 20gage copper brush. I did mine with a cordless drill to really work it good.

Soak the bolt head in some solvent as well. Years of lacquer ammo and cosmoline can stick them pretty tight. Tight enough that a friend snapped the extractor on his M44 trying to cycle a stuck bolt.

Thanks, I read something along those lines last night.

My trouble is, this only happens with Polish heavy ball. The Prvi (brass case) ran perfectly. Even before/after the heavy ball.

Now, I've also read that it may be a pressure issue, if this ammo is really hot. One guy claimed he had some "Russian machine gun ammo" that was too hot and he had the same issue. Who knows, there is alot of crazy stuff on the Internet! :n00b:

Another person said to check the headspace, but again, the problem is only with the heavy ball, which is lacquered steel case.

I have the barrel in the sauna at the moment (no steam) at 180 degrees, hoping to melt off any remaining cosmo that I may have missed the first time around.

Also found people who said their Finnish M39s ate the Polish heavy ball like candy, so maybe I'll just buy an M39 to see! :D

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks, I read something along those lines last night.

My trouble is, this only happens with Polish heavy ball. The Prvi (brass case) ran perfectly. Even before/after the heavy ball.

Now, I've also read that it may be a pressure issue, if this ammo is really hot. One guy claimed he had some "Russian machine gun ammo" that was too hot and he had the same issue. Who knows, there is alot of crazy stuff on the Internet! :n00b:

Another person said to check the headspace, but again, the problem is only with the heavy ball, which is lacquered steel case.

I have the barrel in the sauna at the moment (no steam) at 180 degrees, hoping to melt off any remaining cosmo that I may have missed the first time around.

Also found people who said their Finnish M39s ate the Polish heavy ball like candy, so maybe I'll just buy an M39 to see! :D

Looks like you are on the right track. Lacquer can be some nasty stuff, and that is often what causes the sticking.

My M38 will eat the heavy ball, but my shoulder can only handle a few round of it. No kidding, I thought I had separated my shoulder after shooting heavy ball from a prone position a few years ago.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom