Not open for further replies.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Glad to have found this place!

I'd been doing a bit of handgun research recently after my BIL (who is a gun owner many many times over) gave me the old "better get one now" routine. I guess you could say I finally fell for it. :D

Picked up my brand new Beretta PX4 Storm Full Size in 9mm last week from Blythe's in Griffith (I live in Dyer). Went with this gun because I'm looking for home defense and target shooting primarily. Carrying is not a priority though I have applied for a LTCH. The 9mm is a tad cheaper (though hard to find right now as is everything else) than the .40 and the bigger guns are easier to shoot for everyone, or so I've heard. It also fits my hand very well. The fact that it is the sexiest handgun I've ever seen didn't hurt either.

This is going to sound crazy but I'm 47 and had fired probably 4 rounds in my life. One through a .357 on a police station field trip as a freshman in high school, and the other 3 with a couple of my ex wife's redneck relatives in rural St. Joseph Missouri in my early 20's. Couldn't tell you where any of those 4 rounds ended up.

After reading up on all I can such as the isosceles, the Weaver, thumbs forward, one eye or two open, and so on, I had my first range visit at Blythe's in Valpo last Friday. The gun performed flawlessly through 236 rounds of PMC Bronze and some reloads. Got some snap caps and have been practicing trigger pull, aim, stance, loading, unloading, field stripping and general handling of the gun. I'm realizing there's an entire new sense of awareness when handling a firearm, as it's obviously something completely new to me. The hardest part for me right now is sighting with both eyes open. I find myself squinting with my left eye too much. I suppose it will come with practice.

I'm married (#2) with a 4 y/o. Yes a 4 y/o at 47. I also have a 20 y/o daughter who is a mother herself and a 23 y/o son, both from said ex wife. I'm a grampa a little sooner than expected but all is good!

I've got pretty much everything to learn and, well, this seems like a great place to do it. The fact that this place is specific with regards to Indiana laws is awesome. Many of my questions have already been answered with a little searching. I don't have anything to contribute at this point but hopefully that will change as time goes by.

Thanks for looking and I'll be seeing you guys and gals around!

Dave

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Welcome - I was in a very similar situation myself about a year ago. I recommend taking the NRA basic pistol class. Teaches you a lot, you get some coaching at the range, and you learn a lot of the basics. I found it to be well worth it and a way to kickstart the knowledge transfer. Hanging around the INGO forums helps a lot as well. The feeling of being overwhelmed will ease into continuous learning over the next couple months or so.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

Yes some training is definitely in my future. Becoming a gun owner is a huge step for me and I'd be a fool not to get some instruction.

Oh, I forgot to mention my purchase only cost me a ruby ring for the wife. Gotta love the marriage game! :laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom