• Status
    Not open for further replies.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Hello everyone, I just joined last night and am excited be a part of this forum. I bought my first handgun two years ago, a Glock 22, and received my carry permit about a year ago. I am mostly interested in the Carrying section but keep up to date on everything. I am quite passionate about firearms and laws, both locally and nationally.

I have a wife and 2 daughters, 5 and 7. My wife is not opposed to guns but is not thrilled with them either. I educated her any time I get a chance and she see's the Constitutional right and the need for self defense. She was just raised in a house that didn't have any and I think is a little scared of them. I am still working on getting her out to try shooting my .22 but it is an uphill climb. She is also not opposed to me teaching my kids about them. I taught my daughter to shoot my old pellet gun for the first time a few months ago and she wasn't that bad. Firearms are dangerous but so are cars, kitchen utensils, and almost eveything else laying around the house. I just want them to understand it's something to be taken seriously and not to be afraid of them. I also don't want them to be curios.

Anyway, enough about me. Looking forward to meeting you guys/gals and I'll see you at the range!

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    :welcome:
    I sympathize OP. My wife, of 20+ years, grew up in an anti-gun home. She still does not like them, but is now tolerant & has fired my .22 rifles & .22 handguns a few times. She is scared to try a larger caliber. All of our children know the "4 rules of gun safety", and have fired nearly all my weapons. Our youngest daughter (18) is fanatical about "target time" & prefers my .45 ACP 1911's.

It has been my experience to be patient & supportive of your wife. Don't force her, or trick her into shooting. Expose her to it. Take her with you to the range & let her watch (this worked for my wife). Also, my wife didn't even try to handle a firearm, until the kids got excited & convinced her to try it. Even at that, when/if she does want to try... Be patient with her & teach her properly. You may even consider a husband/wife firearms training course. Here is where a female enthusiast is to your advantage. Another womans perspective, so to speak.
    Good luck AND WELCOME !

Last edited:

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    welcome to the forum. I agree OP, same issues, wife didn't like having guns around the kids. Kids in college now, still doesn't like them, but tolerates. probably will never shoot, which is a shame. I am so passionate about firearms. anyway, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom