• Status
    Not open for further replies.

TheHUTMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2016
    Valparaiso
    Hi all, new member here from Valparaiso (NWIN)! I just recently got back into firearms after first starting with them way back when I was in the Army (Fort Irwin, CA) during Desert Storm time. Since then I've done some shooting with friends using their guns at Jasper Pulaski -- we had an annual tradition where we'd go there on the day after Thanksgiving while the women went shopping. Pretty fun! But, that ended some years ago and I never thought about it a lot.

Recently, with all the crazy political climate, I figured it was time to get something or I might end up losing my rights. My dad went and got his first handgun (a M&P Shield) after pretty much not touching his 30-06 and 12 gauge in the closet for more than 30 years. Myself, I picked up a Sig P320 9mm full and a Colt Competition AR-15 rifle. Both of these bring back a lot of great memories from my Army days. Cleaning the AR was really fun -- haven't done that in forever, but you know, you never forget.

I've only been to the range twice since I got them, took 4 of my kids (I have 6) with me on one trip and started them in on learning proper firearms habits and technique. I felt like a drill sergeant and I chatted w/ the RO about how much I really missed doing this. I just need the weather to warm up so I can get out more -- I'm not one for shooting in freezing snow (I'm old and picky now). I also have to keep my costs low -- 6 kids eat into the budget quick. I get strange looks every time I tell the wife I need ammo, or now a red dot optic, or a shotgun, or ... well, you know how it goes. She at least has been very supportive so far (the guns I got were all an early Christmas gift). I never really had any hobbies, but this sure is one I'd like :):

Anyway, I've been lurking on here for a while - I find this to be a pretty nice and friendly place. Unlike some other places (cough Reddit cough).

So, it is now time to say Hello.

HELLO!

Thanks to everyone out there for all the info you've given. Been great! Hope to see you around! :yesway:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Welcome from Hobart. If you like cleaning firearms, I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would be happy to give you a couple of chances to try and improve your skills.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hello from Hobart. Look for the meet and shoots in Winimac. Met some good people there

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Welcome to INGO. I live in valpo area as well. Seems little weird u are NOW worried about your rights. Better late then never I guess. Most on here are finally relaxing a little over rights with the new potus coming in. Not that we should ever let our gaurd down. What is the age range of your kids. I'm just getting my two older ones into shooting but there 8 and 5. If the kids are younger 10/22 is way to go for learning. Always great to have more NWI people on here the rest of the state sees us as part of IL so the more gun fighters we get the better are REP LOL. And did u know there getting rid of the LTCH soon. ​LOL

TheHUTMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2016
    Valparaiso
    Welcome to INGO. I live in valpo area as well. Seems little weird u are NOW worried about your rights. Better late then never I guess. Most on here are finally relaxing a little over rights with the new potus coming in. Not that we should ever let our gaurd down. What is the age range of your kids. I'm just getting my two older ones into shooting but there 8 and 5. If the kids are younger 10/22 is way to go for learning. Always great to have more NWI people on here the rest of the state sees us as part of IL so the more gun fighters we get the better are REP LOL. And did u know there getting rid of the LTCH soon. ​LOL
    I've always been worried about my rights -- just was more of a matter of 1) getting the wife on board so that 2) the finances can get on board. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, just had a lot of other priorities in life. Seems like every time I was going to "pull the trigger" something else came up. Sigh. Well, better late than never. And now my second oldest is asking about "when you die, can I get all your guns". No hesitation there LOL.My kids are aged from 6 - 16, 3 boys and then 3 girls. My oldest daughter (10) likes to shoot my AR -- so long as its not at Bambi. My boys all have done some shooting, and enjoy paintball as well. I haven't done paintball in a LONG TIME (getting too old for that), but it was really fun when I did it.Thanks for all the welcomes and info!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    After being out of the the life for nearly 30 years I bought my first gun in September 2008.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom