• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Apparently, a couple guys hopped up on meth broke into a car lot to "steal anything to get more drugs" were met by the owners of the car lot who were armed. There had been numerous burglaries lately and they had a desire to defend their property. The burglars (armed with knives) were deemed to not have "been a threat" to the owners and therefore they were supposed to call the police rather than defend their property. "He was a good boy, who made some bad choices, but didn't deserve to die for them" and the jury bought it.

Jury sides with burglar's family in 2009 shooting death at auto lot | jury, burglar, lot - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I didn't even read the story, would probably **** me off too bad this early in the morning. The headline tells me all I need to know. The only shining light I can think of, is regardless if some jury full of retarded people awarded money to the thieves family, there is still a dead thief out of circulation.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Well the pros. They were not indicted on any criminal charges even though they did technically violate colorado law (no defense of property law in place). Cons. Even though they were not convicted of criminal charges they end up paying 300k. Sometimes the legal system baffles me. I don't undersand how you can be liable for a wrongful death when you were cleared of wrongful death charges.HMMMMMMMM:dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Read the story. The car lot owners sure appear to be wrong in what they did. Not saying the criminal was not a criminal. He was a criminal. No doubt there. But the car lot owners shot first, shot blindly.

I don't blame the car lot owners, they've had multiple break ins/thefts. But they handled it wrong. Should have dialed 911 before heading out with guns blazing. It appears (again this is a newspaper report, take it with a grain of salt) they were waiting in ambush hoping to kill some criminals?

Ugh. I'm confused though, a "rifle" 45 ACP bullet? Is this it? Said it's an H&K.
    . . . why shoot a handgun round from a rifle? Do you get a higher muzzle velocity from the longer barrel? I'm confused.
    Yes you do get higher velocities from the longer barrel. Not so much that it rivals rifle ballistics. Handgun caliber carbines are an answer to a question that nobody asked.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Yes you do get higher velocities from the longer barrel. Not so much that it rivals rifle ballistics. Handgun caliber carbines are an answer to a question that nobody asked.

Thread hi-jack time.:):

1. I want to go deer hunting in Indiana with a rifle. What can I use?
    2. I want to shoot a center fire rifle at MCFG-What can I shoot?
    3. I want to have a home defense gun that is much more accurate to shoot under stress, but doesn't have the muzzle blast or recoil of a 30-06 or 12 gauge. It'll also be great if I use ammo that I already stock. What can I use?
    4. Most of all, I want another rifle with a high "cool factor" and is fun to shoot. An ideas?

See: Pistol-Caliber Carbines | Shooting Illustrated

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Something is wrong in the world when you are allowed to sue and win for wrongful death when your family member you are suing on behalf of was shot commiting a robbery. Yet another story showing why our society is going down the toilet.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Something is wrong in the world when you are allowed to sue and win for wrongful death when your family member you are suing on behalf of was shot commiting a robbery. Yet another story showing why our society is going down the toilet.

I was thinking the same thing. The only real winners of this were the family of the criminal. They got rid of there POS black sheep family member and got paid for it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    While I hate thieves as much as the next guy, I think most people on this board (apparently with the exception of a couple that already posted in this thread) know that you can not open fire on someone outside that is posing no physical threat to you.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

Yeah but criminal and civil law is much different. Its harder to get a conviction in a criminal court than it is to win a tort claim in a civil court.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Read the story. The car lot owners sure appear to be wrong in what they did. Not saying the criminal was not a criminal. He was a criminal. No doubt there. But the car lot owners shot first, shot blindly.

I don't blame the car lot owners, they've had multiple break ins/thefts. But they handled it wrong. Should have dialed 911 before heading out with guns blazing. It appears (again this is a newspaper report, take it with a grain of salt) they were waiting in ambush hoping to kill some criminals?
    I read it the same way.:yesway:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

They're an answer to people who want subguns but can't because they are too expensive and don't want the hassle of registering an SBR. If this were indeed a free country, those lot owners would have had proper HK UMP's, and NO ONE would be questioning their firearm choices. =)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Last month a man convicted for killing another man goes to a bar (while on probation). While in the bar someone makes fun of him that his time in prison made him soft. He waits for the next guy to enter the bar and kicks the crap out him putting him in the hospital. The jury finds not guilty on the Agg batt. When the jury was questioned later as to why that verdict they replied that they felt since the victim had been drinking he should expect that bad things could happen to him. Since the suspect had been drinking you can't prove that he knowingly and intentionally meant to beat this almost to death. He was released that day... he shot killed a 19yr old 2 weeks later.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    See, I understand that they owners made a poor choice. But lets think about this. A pair of career criminals hopped up on Meth go out searching for anything they could steal. They cross onto someone elses property (climbing a fence) and begin casing the joint. What do you expect to happen? 300K seems a little ridiculous.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I didn't even read the story, would probably **** me off too bad this early in the morning. The headline tells me all I need to know. The only shining light I can think of, is regardless if some jury full of retarded people awarded money to the thieves family, there is still a dead thief out of circulation.

This

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Handgun Caliber Carbines have a fairly long Military History....
    So apparently Someone not only asked the Question, but saw a need for them...

Top Bottom