Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Burglar's Family Wins Wrongful Death Suit

Apparently, a couple guys hopped up on meth broke into a car lot to "steal anything to get more drugs" were met by the owners of the car lot who were armed. There had been numerous burglaries lately and they had a desire to defend their property. The burglars (armed with knives) were deemed to not have "been a threat" to the owners and therefore they were supposed to call the police rather than defend their property. "He was a good boy, who made some bad choices, but didn't deserve to die for them" and the jury bought it.

Jury sides with burglar's family in 2009 shooting death at auto lot | jury, burglar, lot - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
    And what is a Tory? Good God! What is he? I should not be afraid to go with a hundred Whigs against a thousand Tories, were they to attempt to get into arms. Every Tory is a coward; for servile, slavish, self-interested fear is the foundation of Toryism; and a man under such influence, though he may be cruel, never can be brave. - Thomas Paine "The Crisis"

I didn't even read the story, would probably piss me off too bad this early in the morning. The headline tells me all I need to know. The only shining light I can think of, is regardless if some jury full of retarded people awarded money to the thieves family, there is still a dead thief out of circulation.
    Though it's just a memory
    Some memories last forever- RUSH- Lakeside Park

Well the pros. They were not indicted on any criminal charges even though they did technically violate colorado law (no defense of property law in place). Cons. Even though they were not convicted of criminal charges they end up paying 300k. Sometimes the legal system baffles me. I don't undersand how you can be liable for a wrongful death when you were cleared of wrongful death charges.HMMMMMMMM
    80 million gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, but a few criminals did

Ugh. I'm confused though, a "rifle" 45 ACP bullet? Is this it? Said it's an H&K.

Heckler & Koch USC Carbine Rifle 219493, 45 ACP, 16.13 in, Semi-Auto, Polymer Stock, Black Finish, 1

I'm new to these parts, but why shoot a handgun round from a rifle? Do you get a higher muzzle velocity from the longer barrel? I'm confused. 'Spensive too. Draco's give a higher capacity and actually shoot a rifle round.

Read the story. The car lot owners sure appear to be wrong in what they did. Not saying the criminal was not a criminal. He was a criminal. No doubt there. But the car lot owners shot first, shot blindly.

I don't blame the car lot owners, they've had multiple break ins/thefts. But they handled it wrong. Should have dialed 911 before heading out with guns blazing. It appears (again this is a newspaper report, take it with a grain of salt) they were waiting in ambush hoping to kill some criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    Ugh. I'm confused though, a "rifle" 45 ACP bullet? Is this it? Said it's an H&K.
    . . . why shoot a handgun round from a rifle? Do you get a higher muzzle velocity from the longer barrel? I'm confused.
    Yes you do get higher velocities from the longer barrel. Not so much that it rivals rifle ballistics. Handgun caliber carbines are an answer to a question that nobody asked.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Handgun caliber carbines are an answer to a question that nobody asked.

Hey, innovation and then create a market.

Maybe they only wanted to kill people in their own neighborhood with stray bullets and not people one town over?

EdC
    Sharpshooter
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Yes you do get higher velocities from the longer barrel. Not so much that it rivals rifle ballistics. Handgun caliber carbines are an answer to a question that nobody asked.
    Thread hi-jack time.

1. I want to go deer hunting in Indiana with a rifle. What can I use?
    2. I want to shoot a center fire rifle at MCFG-What can I shoot?
    3. I want to have a home defense gun that is much more accurate to shoot under stress, but doesn't have the muzzle blast or recoil of a 30-06 or 12 gauge. It'll also be great if I use ammo that I already stock. What can I use?
    4. Most of all, I want another rifle with a high "cool factor" and is fun to shoot. An ideas?

See: Pistol-Caliber Carbines | Shooting Illustrated

Shooter
    Put everything in someone else's name. See if they get the 300k then

Plinker
    I guess I wouldn't want to live in Colorado city if you aren't allowed to protect yourself or property.

Shooter
    I bet if it was johnson county it would all be kosher

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast