• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I received my latest edition of American Rifleman today and couldn't help but note the letter to the editor which praised Ruger for all the good the company has done for the Second Amendment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this perhaps a sign that people involved in the fight for gun rights have forgotten who their real friends (example being Ronnie Barrett vs. Bill Ruger) are? After all, Bill Ruger and his company did collaborate with the anti-RKBA factions to significantly curtail our rights through AWB restrictions, whilst managing to see to it that their beloved Mini-14 family was not subject to said ban(s).

I'm not trying to slam Ruger or its products. But as a matter of principle, I can't bring myself to buy a rifle from a company that at one time, or potentially in the future, could back an AWB as a means to corner a market. Am I alone? Also, if I fail to fully comprehend the story behind these events or am unaware of anything, please feel free to enlighten me. Ruger makes some nice looking products, but I just can't bring myself to buy one. Are there other major manufacturers out there who have also done this?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are free to buy/not buy from whomever you want, but Bill Ruger is long gone. They are an American company producing quality products. The company is publicly owned and has moved on. You might want to consider doing the same.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bill Ruger is dead and gone. Before he died he gave the NRA Museum a check for a million dollars.

Ruger is now selling:

1. concealable pistols.
    2. Lightweight and take-down .22s.
    3. A direct drive AR-15 clone.
    4. An eeeevil Mini-14.
    5. Selling magazines over 10 rounds to you icky, nasty dishonest civilians.
    6. Inter alia.

What more could Ruger do to change your mind?:dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sigh.

Sorry, but Bill Ruger is dead. His idiotic ideals of an honest man only needing 10 rounds, blah blah blah are dead as well. You know why? 'Cause Ruger as a company is producing weapons that have ol' Bill spinning in his grave. Same with Smith and Wesson.

When it comes to companies, I focus on what they are doing NOW, not THEN and we have little indicators of what they will do SOON. If I kept with the idea that Hyundais were junk based on their garbage cars of the 80s, I would not have the reliable, comfortable, powerful and fuel economic Sonata I have now.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I love my Rugers! they make very nice guns and I do believe I will be adding even more to my collection. Like others have said you are free to buy what you want, but not buying a Ruger because of the actions of a dead guy seems a little ridiculous, and frankly you're missing out

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wonder how many people that bring up Ruger's 10 round mag issues or S&W Clinton/Gore connection and state boycot them for this or that years ago but hold Ted Nugent up when he was involved in some not so "traditional values" early in his day?

Just sayin!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sigh.

Sorry, but Bill Ruger is dead. His idiotic ideals of an honest man only needing 10 rounds, blah blah blah are dead as well. You know why? 'Cause Ruger as a company is producing weapons that have ol' Bill spinning in his grave. Same with Smith and Wesson.

When it comes to companies, I focus on what they are doing NOW, not THEN and we have little indicators of what they will do SOON. If I kept with the idea that Hyundais were junk based on their garbage cars of the 80s, I would not have the reliable, comfortable, powerful and fuel economic Sonata I have now.

Agree or disagree with philosophy all companies now are motivated by one thing and one thing only - PROFIT. That is it. Even the gun manufacturers have not a care for ideals. All concern is for money. To that end they are producing better and more varied products than they were just 15 or so years ago.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I wish more people would boycott Ruger, then I'd be able to have every Ruger firearm I wanted.

I don't care what their politics used to be, I love their large caliber revolvers, and when I happen across an SR 1911, it will be mine.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Bill Ruger is dead and gone. Before he died he gave the NRA Museum a check for a million dollars.

Ruger is now selling:

1. concealable pistols.
    2. Lightweight and take-down .22s.
    3. A direct drive AR-15 clone.
    4. An eeeevil Mini-14.
    5. Selling magazines over 10 rounds to you icky, nasty dishonest civilians.
    6. Inter alia.

What more could Ruger do to change your mind?:dunno:

Sigh.

:rockwoot:

sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    The S&W Clinton agreement came at a time when S&W was owned by a United Kingdom company and many people did boycott them. They were then sold and are now American owned and people started buying from them again. As far as Ruger goes I have never seen a statement from the company that says they disagree with Bill Ruger's statements and apologize to their customers. I take that as they would not hesitate to make statements again like their former leader if they new they could save their butt with the government as opposed to standing up for our rights. For that I don't purchase Ruger products either.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Look at the things Ruger, Colt, S&W have done in the past. But these companies are under new management and they are American. We need to support those companies that support our RKBA.

Top Bottom