Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Expert
    BTW, the shootings in Cumbria were carried out with legally held shotguns. The guy was a nutter (mental case).
    In God we trust... all others we monitor.

I wonder how Indiana's stats would look without Marion and Lake Counties...

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I wonder how Indiana's stats would look without Marion and Lake Counties...
    Indiana crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

This is a composite of ALL crime, though. Still looking for violent crime only by county.

Want raw data (no pretty pictures)?
    By Metro area - FBI — Table 6
    By county - FBI — Table 10 - Indiana
    Last edited by eldirector; 12-19-2012 at 10:58.
    Ryan "ElDirector"
    _(O|||||||O)_

Danville Conservation Club | JPFrog Offroaders
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Assoc.
    I make my own luck.

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”
    ― Dante Alighieri, Inferno

Everyone always wants to ignore the elephant in the room. The following are cold hard facts from the FBI's uniform crime report. This is always ignored and overlooked. There are 311 million people in the United States. 10,880 murders were committed in the US in 2010. This gives the US a murder rate of 3.49 murders per 100,000 people. This would put us pretty far down the list with Argentina, Cambodia, and India.

However, if you look into the statistics you will find a very interesting anomaly. 53% of all murders are committed by Blacks. This is statistically significant in determining why the murder rate is so high. If Blacks represent 13.1% of the population and committed 5770 murders their murder rate would be 14.13 per 100,000. If compared to other countries this would compare them with the likes of Zimbabwe and Botswana.

If all non-black and non-black murders where looked at separately you would have 5,100 murders for 270 million people or 1.88 per 100,000. While not on the level with most Western European countries it is a vast improvement for a country with 300 million guns.

Please keep in mind guns do not relate to just murder. Violent crime plays a role. When we compare these statistics the US has about 1/2 to 1/5 of the crime of our Western European counterparts. I would say that guns make this low number possible.

Anyone interested in a comparison in "Murders per gun by country"?
    "I was born free, and Godd##mit, I am going to die a free man."--Me

If you want to REALLY reach for odd-ball correlations:

High temperatures cause violent crime and implications for climate change, also some suggestions about how to better summarize these claims « Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science

So, warmer State or Countries may naturally have higher crime rates.

But, to the previous poster's comments.... I am more inclined to look at poverty, economic class, and income disparity as a correlation to violent crimes:
    Inequality Rising in Rural and Urban America | Daily Yonder | Keep It Rural
    Ryan "ElDirector"
    _(O|||||||O)_

Danville Conservation Club | JPFrog Offroaders
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Assoc.
    I make my own luck.

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”
    ― Dante Alighieri, Inferno

Plinker
    I think most of the lack of guns in gun-less places is because they didn't keep their guns after wars. Most of America's "gun culture" started when people kept the guns they were given in the Civil War.

I think 7:1 is a large enough anomaly.
    "I was born free, and Godd##mit, I am going to die a free man."--Me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4