Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MIA, last known position: Bagram AB Afghanistan

Register … or Rebel: How Many New Yorkers Will Defy New Law?

As draconian, ill-advised, and possibly unconstitutional as the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (NY SAFE) anti-gun law was when it was hastily signed into law, it might have been far worse — this according to a New York legislator who fought against the bill.

Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin has released documentation showing rejected Democratic proposals for the NY SAFE Act. They included these:

• Confiscation of all firearms arbitrarily redefined as “assault weapons”
    • Labeling semi-automatic shotguns as “assault weapons” if they can hold more than five rounds or have a pistol-grip stock
    • Confiscation of 10-round magazines
    • Limiting the number of rounds in a magazine to five; magazines of greater capacity to be confiscated
    • Limiting number of magazines in possession to two
    • Mandatory microstamping of all guns in NY state
    • Statewide database of all guns
    • Limiting guns purchases to one per month
    • Allowing a pistol permit database to be released to the public
    • Relicensing of all pistol permit owners
    • Renewal of all pistol permits every five years
    The provisions of the NY SAFE Act that did become law still demand far more of New Yorkers than many gun owners are willing to comply with. For example, one of the requirements of the law is that all newly classified “assault weapons” must be registered with the New York State Police by April 15, 2014. Many New York guns owners are intent on refusing to register their firearms:
    Assault-rifle [sic] owners statewide are organizing a mass boycott of Gov. Cuomo’s new law mandating they register their weapons, daring officials to “come and take it away,” The Post has learned.

Gun-range owners and gun-rights advocates are encouraging hundreds of thousands of owners to defy the law, saying it’d be the largest act of civil disobedience in state history.
    “I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,” said Brian Olesen, president of the American Shooters Supply, one of the largest gun dealers in the state.
    Officials estimate at least 1 million semiautomatic rifles are owned in the state, sources said.

And come April 15, 2014 — when Cuomo is expected to be running for re-election — they all have to be registered with the State Police.

But because the rifles have been legal but unregistered until now, authorities don’t know who has them or where they are located.

State officials will be nervously watching the registration figures to see how many gun owners comply, sources said.
    read the rest at:
    PJ Media » Register … or Rebel: How Many New Yorkers Will Defy New Law?

About the same amount that defy CA gun laws.
    "если не я, то кто?"

If Not Me, Then Who?

Shooter
    I will stand shoulder to shoulder with my brother firearms enthusiasts in New York and would NEVER register a single weapon no matter what the law.

Gunner

Unconstitutional laws are not laws and I would not comply

Quote Originally Posted by gunner69 View Post
    Unconstitutional laws are not laws and I would not comply

Are gun laws about NFA items constitutional then?

Quote Originally Posted by TaunTaun View Post
    nope.
    ...they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

THE KING LIVES AGAIN! jbombelli's Avatar

In my opinion, no. "...shall not be infringed" doesn't mean "...shall be infringed in whatever way the government or the people decide is reasonable."

And I'll never convict someone for violating one of those laws if I'm on the jury. Period.
    The price of freedom is blood. The moment we are no longer willing to pay that price, we are no longer free.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but the general consensus here is non-compliance. Even the Governor's office admits this. In all likelihood what will happen is that the State will bring the full force of law against any initial citizens caught, in an attempt to intimidate the rest into compliance. The penalty for non-compliance is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by 1 year in jail and the confiscation of your firearms.
    Secret Society of the BoneBots - Member ID: A175F3Z-0109

I wonder if they knew the irony of selecting that date when they picked it.

http://www.kimmillerconcernedchristi...lings/0472.pdf

The British governor of Massachusetts gave an order to disarm his citizens on the same day in 1775.

In my opinion they are also unconstitutional. "Shall not be infringed"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast