• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have looked on Google, and this forum, trying to find information on Indiana State laws regarding gun registration. I can not find what I am looking for.

If you have a rifle, does it need to be registered with the state? If so, what statute states that? From what I find, in Indiana, there is no license to own, just a license to carry, pistol or rifle.

The following two web pages seem to answer my questions, just wanted some more input than my buddies. Some seem to think they all need registered, others not so much, some just for insurance purposes.

Summary of Pertinent Indiana Gun Laws »? My Right To Carry

Gun laws in Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    There is no gun registration in the state of Indiana. Well no real state registration. the feds might get nosey and some people consider the 4473 from an FFL to be a form of registration with implications of Red Dawn purportion. But as far as the state of Indiana is concerned as long as your guns are legal you are good to go

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Where do people come up with this "registration" stuff? Are there actually any states that actually have a history current or former of an actual gun registration? (Other than obvious recent mess with Connecticut) Even Illinois does not have a gun registration. Atleast not in central Illinois. You dont goto the police station to tell them you have a new gun or bought this or that from the guy down the street.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Where do people come up with this "registration" stuff? Are there actually any states that actually have a history current or former of an actual gun registration? (Other than obvious recent mess with Connecticut) Even Illinois does not have a gun registration. Atleast not in central Illinois. You dont goto the police station to tell them you have a new gun or bought this or that from the guy down the street.

Looks like some states do.

States that Require Registration of All Firearms
    District of Columbia[SUP]11[/SUP]
    Hawaii[SUP]12[/SUP]
    States that Require Registration of Handguns
    New York[SUP]13[/SUP]
    States that Require New Residents to Report Their Firearms
    California[SUP]14[/SUP]
    Maryland[SUP]15[/SUP] (handguns and assault weapons)
    States that Require Registration of Pre-Ban Assault Weapons or 50 Caliber Rifles
    California[SUP]16[/SUP] (assault weapons and 50 caliber rifles)
    Connecticut[SUP]17[/SUP] (assault weapons and large capacity magazines)
    Hawaii[SUP]18[/SUP] (assault pistols)
    Maryland[SUP]19[/SUP] (assault pistols)
    New Jersey[SUP]20[/SUP] (assault weapons)
    New York[SUP]21[/SUP] (assault weapons)

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne

Hawaii[SUP]12[/SUP]
    New York[SUP]13[/SUP]
    California[SUP]14[/SUP]
    States that Require Registration of Pre-Ban Assault Weapons or 50 Caliber Rifles

I think Michigan falls on that list somewhere too. Don't you have to go to the sheriff to apply to buy a gun, get approved, and take the gun in for inspection? Pretty sure it is close to that but don't quote me.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sum, the Michigan "safety inspection" was eliminated January 2009. There is still a four part form that Michigan handgun buys complete, 2 of those copies are sent to the police.

Outside of NFA weapons, Indiana law has no registration requirements.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

Hawaii[SUP]12[/SUP]
    New York[SUP]13[/SUP]
    California[SUP]14[/SUP]

Lol, those damn 50 caliber rifles are used in too many crimes!

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ever notice that the local news media often makes statements like "applications for gun licenses are up"? There's no such thing as gun licenses in Indiana. They're probably referring to carry permits.

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    I seem to remeber my dad talking about having to register his guns with the city when he was younger. I think some cities in indiana used to have their own registries but that was 40+ years ago. Permit or license its the same infringement

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I know that in recent memory (and maybe still now) Nevada required that you list the handguns you'd be carrying on your permit. I know also that some states (New Jersey?) require you to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun (maybe a firearm, not exclusively a handgun.) If you have to go to the police and tell them "I want to buy a gun", and they have to write up a permission slip for you to do so.... You don't think that's recorded (or "registered") somewhere?

California, years ago, required registration of "assault weapons", then, lo and behold, they used that list to contact the registered owners and tell them that their guns had been ruled illegal, and they had to dispose of them.

[video=youtube;Hg9nE4oRrHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg9nE4oRrHY[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ever notice that the local news media often makes statements like "applications for gun licenses are up"? There's no such thing as gun licenses in Indiana. They're probably referring to carry permits.

Cool! Mine must be a rare, limited edition, extra special, collector's edition! I'm pretty sure the "local news media" was referring to handguns.

attachment.php

Top Bottom