Private Range/Neighbors/Police Issues. Options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Sooooo....... Someone was using a private range on my property without permission. From what I can tell, they moved the location of the targets (targets are normally in lowest point of the area, which is usually very wet) and sent a couple out of the park. Awesome. No injuries/property damage. Appears to have been 223 from an AR. Judging by shell pile on the ground and holes in paper, projectile had to exit my property. I learned of this almost immediately as "neighbors" started calling me to notify me of Sheriff on the look for whoever was shooting. I jumped in the truck (was not there when this happened) and found the Sheriff kinda patrolling around the big country block obviously looking for the range. It's totally hidden from site and unless I show you where it's at, you'd never find it. Sheriff and I talked, went to the range (which was empty now), discussed my SOP and what was deviated from it. He liked my setup, we talked guns a while, shook hands and left. He would not disclose who had called and reported the incident.

I went to every neighbor within two miles and discussed what had happened. I handed out my card with cell number. Tried to assure everyone (although nobody even seemed like they knew what I was talking about) of the safe procedures I follow and that I was looking for whoever it was hat was back there shooting/tress passing.

Corrective actions I have taken: road leading to range is totally inaccessible by vehicle (four-wheeler/gator included) due to padlocked gates and concrete barriers placed, unless you feel like driving half a mile on top of active railroad tracks. Signs placed around all property lines for no tresspasing/hunting/shooting. Trail cams positioned at multiple places to identify any future tresspassers.

Problem:

Every time a round is fired, I have 20-25 minutes until the police show up. 11 times in 7 days. Getting kind of rediculous. Even more problematic is the officers are placing their own lives in jeapordy but walking into a hot rifle range. The easiest way to access it is to hoof it over the tracks and walk in by the targets. Yeah...

I cannot ascertain who is calling the police, the police just keep saying they have to show because the call was made to them about shots being fired. I'm starting to get a bit irked by this. What am I supposed to do here? I've tried to be as cooperative and accommodating as I can be, but my patience wears thin.

Thoughts?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Trail cameras? Cool.

Call the Sheriff/police and give them your cell phone number. When they come out, they can call you and you can call a cease fire.

My question: if you don't want the police on your property, why are they there?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You obviously have time on your hands if you can respond at a moments notice of a police call, so vary YOUR routine, and maybe you can catch the trespassers? If you shoot twice a day everyday, vary your times, or, better yet, allow me and my friends to "babysit" your property a few times a week.(at various times of course) private ranges are awesome if you can keep them private!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I like the idea of calling the sheriff's office when you get ready to start shooting. Let them know you're getting ready to shoot...

I would be ticked if bullets came on to my property too...someone thinks you knew of the shooting...someone that doesn't like guns or doesn't like you is my guess. Regardless, call the cops before you shoot.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    My question: if you don't want the police on your property, why are they there?

How do I politely tell them to leave? I'd rather they not be walking in on me when I'm behind a zoomed up rifle with a very limited FOV and a hair trigger.

You obviously have time on your hands if you can respond at a moments notice of a police call, so vary YOUR routine, and maybe you can catch the trespassers? If you shoot twice a day everyday, vary your times, or, better yet, allow me and my friends to "babysit" your property a few times a week.(at various times of course) private ranges are awesome if you can keep them private!

I like the idea of calling the sheriff's office when you get ready to start shooting. Let them know you're getting ready to shoot...

I would be ticked if bullets came on to my property too...someone thinks you knew of the shooting...someone that doesn't like guns or doesn't like you is my guess. Regardless, call the cops before you shoot.

there was only one issue with the tresspasser, the first police call. That was legitimate and understandable. All the other times have been me on my own range. That's how I start and end my day. My shop is on the same property, although RR tracks split the property, there is only one parcel number with the assessor. FSo, I'm technically there around 100hrs/wk lol.

Think I'm just gonna do what I should have done and get some real assistance. I'm just gonna call my lawyer in the morning, I'm sure he knows the local LEO to reach out to.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If your work location is on the same property (and I'm assuming you would have heard the shooters, and you shoot twice a day most every day, then it was a rare instance indeed when the trespassers could shoot on your property while you were away.

Have you considered who would have known that you were off-site that day?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If your work location is on the same property (and I'm assuming you would have heard the shooters, and you shoot twice a day most every day, then it was a rare instance indeed when the trespassers could shoot on your property while you were away.

Have you considered who would have known that you were off-site that day?
    ^This^ From the way the OP descibes the hidden range and how you would not know it was there unless he showed it to you then I would be thinking that it is someone that he knows and who knows that the range is there. :dunno:

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    I have an inkling... I believe it was a couple of local farm kids on quads. Not bad kids, just did something dumb. Up until a couple years ago, there was a hefty quad trail that skirted the edge of the property and cut through a corner. I've about resolved that but occasionally see a fresh track. There are a couple candidates in mind that would not surprise me and fit the criteria: quads, always out riding, have seen them in their fields with appropriate "hardware", would be able to see vheicles that may or may not be at my shop, etc. I really think trail cams fixed them from coming back though. Maybe the "Tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" sign didn't hurt either. lol

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Try shooting at a time when most of your neighbors are gone. If the cops still show, that should narrow the possibilities. It would also be nice to know which neighbors were not at home, when the police didn't show up in the last 11 times.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I think you live in Lake County if so you have Lake County ordinance on your side.

Home range lake county

ATTENTION N.W.Indiana residents who want to shoot on your own land, I have posted this information in several threads in response to questions, figured that the NWI thread may be a good place to deposit this information too:

LAKE COUNTY has a shooting ordinance. NOT every county has one. YOU must check with your county to see if there are any rules. However, in LAKE COUNTY the actual ordinance that PASSED is1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th, 2009.

The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."
    ALSO, be aware of NOISE ordinances that will affect the shooting TIMES that are legal (these same times apply to all loud noises like lawn mowing, fireworks, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Someone...possibly new to the area...has it out for you.

This was my thought as well. It could be the person(s) that rearranged your range and you subsequently locked out "getting you back".

I don't understand the whole 'somebody called about somebody shooting, so we have to check it out' routine. If it's in the city, against some ordinance, I could see; if you were shooting in a hazardous manner, I could see that as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an inkling... I believe it was a couple of local farm kids on quads. Not bad kids, just did something dumb. Up until a couple years ago, there was a hefty quad trail that skirted the edge of the property and cut through a corner. I've about resolved that but occasionally see a fresh track. There are a couple candidates in mind that would not surprise me and fit the criteria: quads, always out riding, have seen them in their fields with appropriate "hardware", would be able to see vheicles that may or may not be at my shop, etc. I really think trail cams fixed them from coming back though. Maybe the "Tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" sign didn't hurt either. lol

If you cut off the play ground for the Quad boy's that would be my 1st choice in who is getting into your life.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    If you cut off the play ground for the Quad boy's that would be my 1st choice in who is getting into your life.

Perhaps I need to re-think this situation. I'm a fairly young guy and it wasn't that long ago that I was bombin' around on a quad looking for good riding. It does suck when you lose access to one of "your spots". Maybe I should consider offering a peace treaty and grant them safe passage. The crossing is in a far corner, opposite the direction of fire. I'll stop by and talk to their father, who is known as a reasonable man around here, and see if we can maybe work something out. Of course, this is assuming these are my troublemakers.

I'd still like to know how do I tell the police they are not welcome on my property and to GTFO without causing an issue. I do not want to be the squeaky wheel that gets the LEO grease. Know what I mean?

Top Bottom