• 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    One sided opinion piece.

Know your enemy. Or as the author might say, no your enemy.

"Opponents of campus carry laws have saw mixed success of late." [Sic]

Definitely a scholarly article.

Gun rights debate enters a new arena: the campus | Center for Public Integrity

" “The sad reality is … you don’t have to be accurate,” Vlok said. “In a situation like that, police officers are only 30 percent accurate in shooting. What does that make us? What does that make a student?” "

Does that mean that the Ferguson officer fired 20-21 rounds.

The two downtown NY City cops wounded nine to take out one man with a gun. IIRC they fired eighteen rounds. That's over 50 % hits, better if you count some bystanders may have been hit more than once.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Taking that logic to its conclusion, shouldn't it be considered a serious threat to call the police for any MWAG call or active shooter? I mean crap, a 30% accuracy rate means that 70% of rounds could hit an innocent bystander. Much better to just let the criminals do their thing, to minimize civilian casualties. Obviously.

Bullet Proof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Elkhart
    If shots don't have more than a 30% hit rate, then by logic we should all put down our guns and stop carrying because we are doing much more harm than good, but that's not the case. Allowing students to carry on campus means that in the event were something to happen, students and faculty would have the means to protect themselves and their classmates, rather than hiding under desks waiting to die.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    “We’re not interested in every college student carrying,” he said. “There might be a lot of people who might never want to use or bring their firearms. If that’s the case, that’s cool. We don’t think anyone should have to exercise rights they don’t want to. But on the other hand, we don’t think they get a veto over the rights of others.

^^^This.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    One sided opinion piece.

Know your enemy. Or as the author might say, no your enemy.

"Opponents of campus carry laws have saw mixed success of late." [Sic]

Definitely a scholarly article.

Gun rights debate enters a new arena: the campus | Center for Public Integrity

" “The sad reality is … you don’t have to be accurate,” Vlok said. “In a situation like that, police officers are only 30 percent accurate in shooting. What does that make us? What does that make a student?” "

Does that mean that the Ferguson officer fired 20-21 rounds.

The two downtown NY City cops wounded nine to take out one man with a gun. IIRC they fired eighteen rounds. That's over 50 % hits, better if you count some bystanders may have been hit more than once.

Actually I think the autopsy showed that the guy the NYPD were shooting at ended up dieing of a self inflicted wound. They hit 9 bystanders and missed their target. I'm assuming you were talking about the guy outside the Empire State Building. Not the only such incident in recent times.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought that BSU back in September closed the campus carry case once and for all?

Study: Midwest college students oppose guns on campus

After actually reading the study and looking at the questionnaire it had some serious issues though.
    The problem with all of these is that they pose the questions to get the answers they want. You won't get a strait question like "Do you think legally licensed gun owners should be able to have their weapon with them on campus?" or maybe "There are already laws banning murder, do you think another law banning firearms will make you safer?" Then you have a bunch of college students who have yet to experience the real world making decisions based on what they were taught in k-12 schools.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The problem with all of these is that they pose the questions to get the answers they want. You won't get a strait question like "Do you think legally licensed gun owners should be able to have their weapon with them on campus?" or maybe "There are already laws banning murder, do you think another law banning firearms will make you safer?" Then you have a bunch of college students who have yet to experience the real world making decisions based on what they were taught in k-12 schools.

You're right. I read the survey and most questions were asked from the perspective of the worst outcome possible, like if I keep a gun in my dorm room my roommate would get shot or something silly like that. Graduate student responses were excluded as well. Except for Indiana most other states you have to be 21 to even get a permit and by that time you're pretty close to graduating. The impetus of the article was that policymakers should take into consideration the undergraduates attitudes when thinking about policy. Who cares what some 18 year old undergrad thinks when making policy, is that how we make decisions now? I bet if you surveyed them to see if nobody should get a failing grade they'd be all for that, should that be policy? You can look at the author affiliations and pretty much guess what schools were surveyed and a number were in Illinois which at the time getting a permit itself let alone carrying on campus would have been a pipe dream to anybody that grew up there, again why do we care about their opinions? If you want to get published in the medical/public health circles submit anti-gun manuscripts, they'll fall over themselves to publish even the most shoddy research. The last couple I have read were about safe storage laws and effects on accidents or crime and one of the main variables was the Brady Centers state rankings, because that's not biased or anything. And if your older watch out, I've been watching this new trend lately in the anti-gun literature about older gun owners and mental states, you're next.

Top Bottom