• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I noticed that eBay sellers are selling CMMG conversion kits for AR15 rifles that come with a 10 round mag. EBay banned the selling of magazines that hold more than 10, so sellers are picturing the 27 round mag and just calling it a 10 round mag to get around eBay's mag selling ban. That's all fine with me, but is there a problem in the event someone from California buys the conversion kit. The kit IS legal there but magazines that hold more than 10 rounds are not. I am looking to sell my conversion kit, willing to call it a 10 round magazine for the purposes of listing the kit with magazine, but is it some kind of felony gun trafficking deal if you send a 30 round magazine to a state that has banned the import of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds? I'm just looking to sell my conversion kit, not go to prison. Anyone know anything about this?

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    That sounds like lying, to me. What would your mother say?
    My mother says anyone who owns a gun is a murderer, so I don't pay much attention to her on this subject. I suppose if you only put 10 rounds in it, it's a 10 round mag. It is lying in the same sense that saying an AR15 rifle with a 14 inch barrel is a pistol, or an AR15 is an assault weapon. EBay has actually banned the sale of all parts for so-called assault weapons so thankfully eBay is full of liars because I was able to get a new buffer detent and spring for my "5.56/.223 rifle".

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    There are other her places to sell the kit. Gunbroker, Armslist and here of course.

I have it listed here but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it here. EBay is selling a lot of them though. I just wonder if people are accidentally committing felonies by selling them to any of the 8 states that have mag bans in place.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have it listed here but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it here. EBay is selling a lot of them though. I just wonder if people are accidentally committing felonies by selling them to any of the 8 states that have mag bans in place.

Importing them is a felony. That would be on the buyer. If someone didn't know better, you'd be causing them a lot of trouble misrepresenting the auction. List it somewhere gun-friendly.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My mother says anyone who owns a gun is a murderer, so I don't pay much attention to her on this subject. I suppose if you only put 10 rounds in it, it's a 10 round mag. It is lying in the same sense that saying an AR15 rifle with a 14 inch barrel is a pistol, or an AR15 is an assault weapon. EBay has actually banned the sale of all parts for so-called assault weapons so thankfully eBay is full of liars because I was able to get a new buffer detent and spring for my "5.56/.223 rifle".

Yeah I had my ad pulled a couple years back for a free-float handguard because I didn't dig deep enough into the listing rules. However there are literally THOUSANDS of AR specific listings that they don't do anything about (I know because as an experiment I reported MANY ads in violation over a 2 day period and not one of them was pulled.)

Big listers that generate lots of listing and selling fee revenue for eBay don't get touched, especially since sellers get triple-dipped. Listing fee, selling fee, Paypal fee.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I don't think you want to send any 30 rounders to CA. They can't even buy rebuild kits to change their 10 rounders to 30 rounders as of relatively recently, so I think that sending something that is or has the parts included to make it more than 10 rounds is a no no.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP you could just say no sales to CA, xyz, abc, etc...
    & that way you ensure you are not senidng a :nono: part to CA.
    No idea if it's a felony or not.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah I had my ad pulled a couple years back for a free-float handguard because I didn't dig deep enough into the listing rules. However there are literally THOUSANDS of AR specific listings that they don't do anything about (I know because as an experiment I reported MANY ads in violation over a 2 day period and not one of them was pulled.)

Big listers that generate lots of listing and selling fee revenue for eBay don't get touched, especially since sellers get triple-dipped. Listing fee, selling fee, Paypal fee.

I don't know, I had the ad up and it was fine until I edited the title and added "AR15" to the title. Then they pulled it. I've been selling on there since 2002 and do a lot of sales. It seems that when there is a bad shooting, eBay cracks down hard. After some time, they stop watching the ads as much.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    In CA it is illegal to sell, transfer, import or manufacture magazines that hold more than ten(10) rounds. Possession is legal. That highlighted part is for you. You can sell 'rebuild' kits or magazine parts though. CA has filed suits against a couple of out-of-state large scale suppliers.

For more info see CALGUNS - Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin
    And look over this flowchart - http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
    CA law, Magazines all you need to know - Magazines: all the answers you need - Calguns.net
    The laws out there really suck. Glad I left.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I don't know, I had the ad up and it was fine until I edited the title and added "AR15" to the title. Then they pulled it. I've been selling on there since 2002 and do a lot of sales. It seems that when there is a bad shooting, eBay cracks down hard. After some time, they stop watching the ads as much.

That was my mistake. If you list it for "Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, etc" it gets through, or "modern sporting rifle", or any other of the many transparent workarounds...

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Is it worth the profit from the magazine for the hassle?
    There's some truth in advertising loopholes, getting banned from eBay and looking at mail fraud and other legal entanglements.
    All for $5 or $10 in profit?

Top Bottom