• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    People found a water moccasin on a Pop Warner football practice field. They tried to kill it with sticks, but were unsuccessful. Wanting to avoid leaving a live snake on the practice field, or allowing it to escape to return later, a woman fired a pistol at it. When the dust settled the woman was arrested for violating the ban on guns at schools or school events. Details here.

Woman Arrested for Protecting Children from Snake

Another clear failure of the Gun Free Zone paradigm.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am surprised she also wasn't charged with cruelty to a poisonous reptile. Snakes have rights these days, don't they?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, if the coaches instructed all of the players off of the field, was it still correct to say that the field was, *at the time the firearm was present and used*, the location of a school event?

Also: Pop Warner football is considered a *school* event? I thought Pop Warner was an independent, national organization?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's too bad there is such a strong paradigm with Americans regarding guns in schools. This is the type of thing that it seems to me would be reasonable for the use of a firearm to eliminate a hazard to people. Yet should you decide to carry a gun in school and a situation presents itself, if you value your freedom, it had really be a matter of life and death when you decide to use it. If I had been in this person's place, I would have made sure my kids were safe and then leave it to "the professionals" to take care of it.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I hate how Indiana has the same school activity ban. My kids are active, and I have to go to events unarmed.

You don't have to, you choose to. If I had a problem going somewhere unarmed I would not go. Weight your options and make the best decision for yourself. Personal responsibility at its finest.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I probably would have just gone to my car and pulled my camp knife from my get home bag, pinned the snake down with a stick and cut its head off... but then again, in Indiana having a knife on school grounds is a no-no too. I don't know what the law is in Florida.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I probably would have just gone to my car and pulled my camp knife from my get home bag, pinned the snake down with a stick and cut its head off... but then again, in Indiana having a knife on school grounds is a no-no too. I don't know what the law is in Florida.

Only if it is intended to be used as a weapon. IC 35-47-5-2.5(2)
    Removing a snake's head is the first step in field dressing it, is it not? IMHO, that makes that knife a "tool", not a weapon.

You're welcome. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Seems to me the arresting officers could have done everyone a favor by just walking away. They knew what happened. A little common sense would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Bogan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    People found a water moccasin on a Pop Warner football practice field. They tried to kill it with sticks, but were unsuccessful. Wanting to avoid leaving a live snake on the practice field, or allowing it to escape to return later, a woman fired a pistol at it. When the dust settled the woman was arrested for violating the ban on guns at schools or school events. Details here.

Woman Arrested for Protecting Children from Snake

Another clear failure of the Gun Free Zone paradigm.

Wow, really? You're using the "if it saves just one child" defense? The woman is an idiot. Let's see how many brain failures she had:
    1. Discharging a firearm with kids nearby.
    2. Discharging a firearm on the ground where ricochet is quite probable.
    3. Discharging a firearm while being a poor shot ("The children were about 20 to 50 yards away when Demarco took one shot at the snake, missing wide.").
    4. Failing to call Animal Control who would have dealt with it
    5. Failing to get the kids to clear the field while the snake was still around (football practice too important?)
    6. Mistaking fearing for children's lives with an itchy trigger finger/hero complex

Stupid is as stupid does, and this woman is stupid.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Wow, really? You're using the "if it saves just one child" defense? The woman is an idiot. Let's see how many brain failures she had:
    1. Discharging a firearm with kids nearby.
    2. Discharging a firearm on the ground where ricochet is quite probable.
    3. Discharging a firearm while being a poor shot ("The children were about 20 to 50 yards away when Demarco took one shot at the snake, missing wide.").
    4. Failing to call Animal Control who would have dealt with it
    5. Failing to get the kids to clear the field while the snake was still around (football practice too important?)
    6. Mistaking fearing for children's lives with an itchy trigger finger/hero complex

umm, not to sound like a smart a**, but have you ever shot a .380 auto? I know my LCP wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 20 feet, let alone 50 yards. When I shoot my LCP, I have to use the closest target setting (15 feet) in order to get ANY semblance of accuracy.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    1. Discharging a firearm with kids nearby.What's wrong with shooting around kids?
    2. Discharging a firearm on the ground where ricochet is quite probable.Ok, you pick up the snake to shoot it
    3. Discharging a firearm while being a poor shot ("The children were about 20 to 50 yards away when Demarco took one shot at the snake, missing wide.").really?? So you were always a perfect shot?
    4. Failing to call Animal Control who would have dealt with itYes, call someone else to protect yourself. We can't let the people take care of themselves
    5. Failing to get the kids to clear the field while the snake was still around (football practice too important?)Um...the article said they did...
    6. Mistaking fearing for children's lives with an itchy trigger finger/hero complexA venomous snake seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to fear for children's lives to me

The fail...it hurts

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well the only people that knew were the peoples whose kids she was trying to protect. So law enforcement did not even know until somebodies mommy called to tell them. So some mommy was more scared of a gun than a poisonous snake. Otherwise everyone could have kept their mouth shut and went back to playing football.

Top Bottom