• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    The interesting case the anti SBS side is making is that because there aren't many, there shouldn't be any.

BUY MORE STAMPS EVERYONE!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    what is this?

Oral argument at the United States Supreme Court, 5 November 2014.

Issue presented: Whether conviction for short-barreled shotgun qualifies as violent felony in order to trigger the federal Armed Career Criminal Act, 18 USC §924(e), sentencing enhancement (15 year tack on)?

Prior precedent that will be looked to include Bejay v. United States (DUI not violent felony) and Chambers v. United States (Escape/FTA was not violent felony).

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I find this interesting. Mainly because this is the first oral SCOTUS argument that isn't attached to my schoolwork. It intrigues me, the argument that the. gov uses to justify himself. The whole "weapon of choice" line made me laugh. Lawyerspeak is fun.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Listening to this further I am convinced we need to get SBS legal in Indiana to increase the numbers of SBS in the state to further our cause. They keep harping on the fact there are 40,000. WE CAN MAKE MORE!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Write your representative and state senator to express your interest in such legislation.

The success that the NRA has had in NFA reform--shall certify, suppressor legalization, suppressor use for hunting, etc.--has all been grassroots driven.

I know I have told this story before on INGO, but this thread merits its retelling. In Pittsburgh at the 2011 Annual Meeting I was having a beer with the NRA's Office of General Counsel at a reception after the Friday all day CLE. I introduced myself and explained that our members (ISRPA) are very enthused over seeing NFA reform, I got in my speil about moving suppressors to Title I and a Federal Gun Collector's License.

While I was listened to, both attorneys that were there said that it would be a political impossibility in Congress but the state level would be where the focus was.

My hope is that as more and more states take action to remove the inane arbitrary restrictions on NFA items it will bubble up to Congress--sort of like how we got the NFA by actions in the states resulting in the NFA.

Top Bottom