• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Apologies if this is a duplicate thread, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere... there is a bill to force the BMV to put a LCTH notice on new driver's licenses and IDs - https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/house/1029:

Synopsis:BMV documentation indicating a handgun license. Provides
    that an individual must indicate on an application for or a renewal of
    a driver's license, permit, or identification card whether the individual
    possesses a handgun license (license). Requires the bureau of motor
    vehicles (bureau) to verify whether the individual has a license by
    contacting the superintendent of the state police department. Requires
    the bureau to place a notation on the individual's driver's license,
    permit, or identification card that indicates that the individual
    possesses a license

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It goes beyond just traffic stops imo, because people use driver's licenses for practically everything.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am not aware of any problem this will solve other than maybe one less card folks may have to carry around. It definitely will cause bureaucracy to grow.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I didn't read it in full either, it's quite long. But if it does what the synopsis says it does, it would be a PITA in my opinion. While I wouldn't want a "must inform" law for LEO encounters, it would be better than this.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Just e-mailed my State representative about this. I think it's the equivalent of standing on a table and shouting "I've got a gun!" every time you are required to present your driver's license.

I also just noticed a bill from a Senate Democrat that, if passed, would require 8 hours of handgun training to receive a LTCH. It would only apply to applications for new licenses after 12/31/2015.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Just e-mailed my State representative about this. I think it's the equivalent of standing on a table and shouting "I've got a gun!" every time you are required to present your driver's license.

It is. It is the equivalent of being force to place your religion or sexuality on the DL. Nothing wrong with that, right?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I also just noticed a bill from a Senate Democrat that, if passed, would require 8 hours of handgun training to receive a LTCH. It would only apply to applications for new licenses after 12/31/2015.

So, I'll admit I am probably a little more liberal than many of us here on INGO. I am also a businessman. What I see with requiring some training is an opportunity for more revenue for the shooting community. Ranges, the NRA and private firearms instructors stand to benefit from a requirement for training. Plus it wouldn't hurt for some people to get some training. We all know people who rarely, if ever shoot and then they go out and get a LTCH.

When I lived in VA. and they signed the bill to allow CW permits, they required training. I used to teach the NRA basic class so that people could get their permit. It provided sound instruction plus introduced more people to the concept of joining a club and getting involved in the shooting sports.

What am I missing as the downside to this? Or is it just another government intrusion into our lives?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    So, I'll admit I am probably a little more liberal than many of us here on INGO. I am also a businessman. What I see with requiring some training is an opportunity for more revenue for the shooting community. Ranges, the NRA and private firearms instructors stand to benefit from a requirement for training. Plus it wouldn't hurt for some people to get some training. We all know people who rarely, if ever shoot and then they go out and get a LTCH.

When I lived in VA. and they signed the bill to allow CW permits, they required training. I used to teach the NRA basic class so that people could get their permit. It provided sound instruction plus introduced more people to the concept of joining a club and getting involved in the shooting sports.

What am I missing as the downside to this? Or is it just another government intrusion into our lives?

Do you also believe in required training before one can freely express themself? You better tell those babies to stop smiling.

The downside is government regulations against a protected right. Once training is in place, guess what? The training requirements have changed, and those who offer said required training are unavailable to train you. Therefore, your right is suppressed by the state.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Would it be a windfall for trainers and ranges? Yes. Should everyone receive training? Yes.
    But. It. Is. None. Of. Their. Business.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Creating barriers to entry in order to exercise a civil right is always dangerous. In the past such barriers are always one way ratchets to more and more requirements, 8 hours becomes 40 hours, becomes a "donation" to the Sheriff becomes ________________.

Think of it this way, in your business, what would happen if you raised your price to a million-billion dollars for one widget that you had for sale? Would you sell any widgets?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Apologies if this is a duplicate thread, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere... there is a bill to force the BMV to put a LCTH notice on new driver's licenses and IDs - https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/house/1029:

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It goes beyond just traffic stops imo, because people use driver's licenses for practically everything.
    This bill requires a lot of shared info with the powers that be.
    Privacy down the drain and all info about a person for the world to see.
    I don't like this one bit and this guy can kiss my ... You get the picture. I'm sending this out to all my like minded friends. Hell NO.
    I sent a note to his site. I finally got all the hidden letters to clear so the note would go through.
    He just needs the boots and swastika to make the picture complete.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Creating barriers to entry in order to exercise a civil right is always dangerous. In the past such barriers are always one way ratchets to more and more requirements, 8 hours becomes 40 hours, becomes a "donation" to the Sheriff becomes ________________.

Think of it this way, in your business, what would happen if you raised your price to a million-billion dollars for one widget that you had for sale? Would you sell any widgets?

Thanks Kirk. That is why I asked for the downside. I certainly don't know everything. Yup, I am not a fan of giving an inch when it will be apparent they will force a mile on me.

In Virginia, nothing has changed...Yet. Hunter's Ed still will satisfy the requirement.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks Kirk. That is why I asked for the downside. I certainly don't know everything. Yup, I am not a fan of giving an inch when it will be apparent they will force a mile on me.

In Virginia, nothing has changed...Yet. Hunter's Ed still will satisfy the requirement.

Greg, it's the same. I gave them my DD214, though.

I'm not sure what going on with "Reply With Quote".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Do you really want the .gov, or in this case the .in, to pass ever more laws that force people to pay taxes to create jobs?

I like the ideas Kirk brings up in threads like this. If you want to encourage people to get training, make it tax deductable, make ammo used during it, the miles driven to and from, and maybe a per diem for meals and lodging tax deductable.

Top Bottom