• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Based on what I've been hearing, the only bills that thee Public Policy Committee will be hearing are budget bills. That means NO gun bills will be heard. Not HB 1143, not HB 1144, no campus carry, no Constitutional Carry, nothing gun related. The only way they'll get heard is if we call/email/mail Rep. Tom Darmody and make him bring these bills to the floor for debate. It's up to us and we only have a short time (about three weeks) to do it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Based on what I've been hearing, the only bills that thee Public Policy Committee will be hearing are budget bills. That means NO gun bills will be heard. Not HB 1143, not HB 1144, no campus carry, no Constitutional Carry, nothing gun related. The only way they'll get heard is if we call/email/mail Rep. Tom Darmody and make him bring these bills to the floor for debate. It's up to us and we only have a short time (about three weeks) to do it.

I fully support the idea of writing to encourage him to hear the bills and bring them for a vote, hopefully with the end in mind of them being passed into law. I will be writing him when I get home to encourage this. Do not, however, think that you can "make" him do anything he is not prepared to do. Of special note, make sure that any correspondence is polite and civil. He is under no obligation to hear any bill, and attempting to bully or force him to do so... well, think how you would react if someone wanted you to do something and went about it by ordering you to do so. I know my first reaction is to dig in my heels and tell the person just exactly how much sand they can pound.

I don't hold much hope that he will change his mind, but my notes to him will not indicate that belief. Regardless, as I said, I *will* be writing to request he do so.

Who's with me?

Blessings,
    Bill

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    If you want to waste your time try being nice to a politician, there is only one thing that gets their attention like the one gent said above ,not getting reelected that scares the H$ll out of em .

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Some bills were never meant to be heard. Some bills were meant to say, "Hey, I introduced a gun bill. Vote for me. I'm your guy!" Politicians are always campaigning...even when they're not.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Some bills were never meant to be heard. Some bills were meant to say, "Hey, I introduced a gun bill. Vote for me. I'm your guy!" Politicians are always campaigning...even when they're not.

While this is true, these bills were introduced by Rep. Jim Lucas. He has consistently introduced good bills and fought not only tooth and nail but with every other weapon at his disposal short of actual deadly force for their passage. I've watched some of his fights for good bills and heard about others behind closed doors. I know his work, and he has my respect.

Just curious: Have you done anything to improve our ability to lawfully exercise our rights in Indiana?

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

While this is true, these bills were introduced by Rep. Jim Lucas. He has consistently introduced good bills and fought not only tooth and nail but with every other weapon at his disposal short of actual deadly force for their passage. I've watched some of his fights for good bills and heard about others behind closed doors. I know his work, and he has my respect.

Just curious: Have you done anything to improve our ability to lawfully exercise our rights in Indiana?

Blessings,
    Bill

Twelve hours later, with the member having been on an hour ago, per his user profile.... and nothing here but

[video=youtube;U9c_KttvQPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9c_KttvQPU[/video]

Color me unsurprised.

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    I fully support the idea of writing to encourage him to hear the bills and bring them for a vote, hopefully with the end in mind of them being passed into law. I will be writing him when I get home to encourage this. Do not, however, think that you can "make" him do anything he is not prepared to do. Of special note, make sure that any correspondence is polite and civil. He is under no obligation to hear any bill, and attempting to bully or force him to do so... well, think how you would react if someone wanted you to do something and went about it by ordering you to do so. I know my first reaction is to dig in my heels and tell the person just exactly how much sand they can pound.

I don't hold much hope that he will change his mind, but my notes to him will not indicate that belief. Regardless, as I said, I *will* be writing to request he do so.

Who's with me?

Blessings,
    Bill

I am writing right now. I have always had no problem of taking 4 or 5 minutes of my time to atleast express my want to protect my rights.
    Unfortunately, many dont give a crap.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if we don't attempt too much at a time on gun bills?
    IE - This session, we concentrate on achieving campus carry. No Constitutional carry, licensing snafu's or other controversial stuff to cloud the mentality and get the baby thrown out with the bathwater.

I also wonder why these sort of efforts are not advertised to the gun owner constituent/voting masses?
    IE - Every news outlet should have our spokesperson interviewed. Every local talk show, podcast, PBS, YouTube should be discussing this weeks in advance of voting.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, Darmody isn't from my District, but I'll send him off a letter, anyway.

If we're only picking one bill to focus on, it probably shouldn't be campus carry. They're all important, but campus carry doesn't benefit as wide of a gun-owning audience as the other proposed bills. Constitutional carry, or something else, perhaps.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I wonder if we don't attempt too much at a time on gun bills?
    IE - This session, we concentrate on achieving campus carry. No Constitutional carry, licensing snafu's or other controversial stuff to cloud the mentality and get the baby thrown out with the bathwater.

I also wonder why these sort of efforts are not advertised to the gun owner constituent/voting masses?
    IE - Every news outlet should have our spokesperson interviewed. Every local talk show, podcast, PBS, YouTube should be discussing this weeks in advance of voting.

That would be a good plan. We don't have a lobbying organization that does this for Indiana, specifically. (Yes, Kirk, I know about ISRPA. If they're doing this, my apologies in advance.)

What would be even more effective is if our reps each heard from each of us a couple of times a month between, say, April and December, advising them that we do support our rights and that we want to see positive reform, such as Constitutional Carry, or even campus carry. If we had 10% of our membership write, that is still over 6000 letters a month. Divide that by 100 house districts, and we're averaging 600 letters a month to our House reps, each, and double that to our state Senators. Even cut in half, we're talking about 300 letters every 2 weeks in the House and 600 in the Senate.

Think they'd pay attention to that?

I told Mr. Lucas a few days ago that I would like to see them BEGGING him to introduce his usual good bills and then when he does, have the legislative leadership complaining that he didn't go far enough. "What? You only want Constitutional Carry? Why not make regular training available in each county, completely voluntary, with volunteer instructors?!" (only an example, don't pick it apart, guys.)

I don't know if that's more than a pipe dream, but that's where I'd like to see us next year. I want to see those "A" and "A+" rated lawmakers live up to that rating. I want to see bicameral supermajorities and a friendly governor champing at the bit to expand our lawful exercise of our God-given rights. He's out of the Senate now, thank God, but I want to see people like Tom Wyss start to speak up against gun rights and feel very, very uncomfortable, kinda like you might feel taking a whiz in front of a nun.

I'd welcome other suggestions how to make this happen. We can't outspend Bloomberg, but I think it's possible we can still beat him by sheer numbers.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Well, Darmody isn't from my District, but I'll send him off a letter, anyway.

If we're only picking one bill to focus on, it probably shouldn't be campus carry. They're all important, but campus carry doesn't benefit as wide of a gun-owning audience as the other proposed bills. Constitutional carry, or something else, perhaps.

Not to pick on either of you, but just FYI to all, the Chairman of the House Public Policy committee, the gentleman from District 20, is Rep. Tom Dermody, not Darmody. This may seem nitpicky, but we can use all the help we can get convincing him, and misspelling his name is not going to be a help. Again, this is not personal against either of you, it's just to let people know so they don't make the same error writing to him.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not to pick on either of you, but just FYI to all, the Chairman of the House Public Policy committee, the gentleman from District 20, is Rep. Tom Dermody, not Darmody. This may seem nitpicky, but we can use all the help we can get convincing him, and misspelling his name is not going to be a help. Again, this is not personal against either of you, it's just to let people know so they don't make the same error writing to him.

Blessings,
    Bill

Hey Bill,
    When is it "too late" for Dermody's committtee to begin the process of hearing these bills and getting them out to vote? Hopefully, INGOers are busy emailing and phone Dermody's office but when does it become a moot point and become time to take a new tact?

As a suggestion to others, I've taken the opportunity to post on certain Facebook sites (gun stores, pro-2A, etc.) the fact this legislation is in danger and imploring others to call and/or email Dermody's office asking him to reconsider. Other INGOers might consider doing this as well.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Hey Bill,
    When is it "too late" for Dermody's committtee to begin the process of hearing these bills and getting them out to vote? Hopefully, INGOers are busy emailing and phone Dermody's office but when does it become a moot point and become time to take a new tact?

As a suggestion to others, I've taken the opportunity to post on certain Facebook sites (gun stores, pro-2A, etc.) the fact this legislation is in danger and imploring others to call and/or email Dermody's office asking him to reconsider. Other INGOers might consider doing this as well.

I'm the "other Bill" - but From the deadline table on session info page:

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in House (House Rule 147.1)

This would mean the last day in committee is probaby either Thursday 2-19, but I suppose it could be squeeked in on Monday 2-23. ... they need to hear it, present it; have rules committee waive it to the floor - and voted over the Senate by COB on the 25th.

More Later - but the word is this - PUSH -

keep it polite, on fact - but PUSH
    we need lots of people. to PUSH.

Top Bottom