• ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Honore: America's in denial about gun culture

"As a country we're in a state of denial because we've confused the right to bear arms with the right to carry arms all the time anywhere or anyplace you want," Honore told Gannett Louisiana on Monday. "We have to have a different kind of conversation in America and be prepared to speak about the politically unspeakable."

I'm pretty sure 'bear' involves carrying if you check the dictionary.

Also, it says he was involved in the Katrina recovery . . . is he the guy that ordered the civilian disarmament?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, he's not alone. However, he and all with that belief disagree with the Supreme Court:

At the time of the founding, as now, to "bear" meant to "carry."

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 584 (U.S. 2008)

If there's one thing I've learned lately, it's that disagree with the Supreme Court is not allowed.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty certain that if this esteemed military hero ever had to use a gun to protect himself and/or his family...with said gun being locked up in a cabinet... he would either figure out the stupidity of his position, or Darwinism would solve his problem for us. Yet another elitist trying to argue that the Constitution doesn't apply to We The People, as he obviously thinks he knows more about what's good for us than we do.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Honore: America's in denial about gun culture

"As a country we're in a state of denial because we've confused the right to bear arms with the right to carry arms all the time anywhere or anyplace you want," Honore told Gannett Louisiana on Monday. "We have to have a different kind of conversation in America and be prepared to speak about the politically unspeakable."

I'm pretty sure 'bear' involves carrying if you check the dictionary.

Also, it says he was involved in the Katrina recovery . . . is he the guy that ordered the civilian disarmament?

Perhaps now, but in the contemporary use of when the second amendment was drafted, I think it's open for debate.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Perhaps now, but in the contemporary use of when the second amendment was drafted, I think it's open for debate.

Quoted from Houghs post. bear is bear, now and then.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wonder if he's interested in a conversation about high priced consulting firm fees and their value in the military budget. Everybody's got an opinion.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Quoted from Houghs post. bear is bear, now and then.

Yeah, I knew that's what the USSC said, and while the buck stops there, they are not exactly infallible. I think the word could certainly be seen as meaning the differently, like how its used in the Declaration.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How was it used differently in the Declaration? I assume you mean "of Independence". The only instance I can find has essentially the same meaning.

A quick entomology lookup, and the meaning of "bear" has been pretty consistent for more than 2 thousand years.

'Course, I'm not an entomologist. Maybe I am missing something...

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah it is not debatable the right to bear arms means the right to carry arms. You have to imagine back when it was written everyone hunted for food. Almost everyone had to carry arms just to eat. Also this amendment was put in place because of the british trying to confiscate arms. The battle of Lexington and Concord. The british where trying to take the weapons hidden at concord. It is about as cut and dry as it gets. What is the real question is how the government misinterprets "shall NOT infringe" How can you mess that one up?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah it is not debatable the right to bear arms means the right to carry arms. You have to imagine back when it was written everyone hunted for food. Almost everyone had to carry arms just to eat. Also this amendment was put in place because of the british trying to confiscate arms. The battle of Lexington and Concord. The british where trying to take the weapons hidden at concord. It is about as cut and dry as it gets. What is the real question is how the government misinterprets "shall NOT infringe" How can you mess that one up?

I believe it is called willful ignorance.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    How was it used differently in the Declaration? I assume you mean "of Independence". The only instance I can find has essentially the same meaning.

A quick entomology lookup, and the meaning of "bear" has been pretty consistent for more than 2 thousand years.

'Course, I'm not an entomologist. Maybe I am missing something...
    Looking up stuff about insects won't help here - they have no rights. Maybe you meant etymology?

Also, it says "the people" have the right, not "the government" or "the militia."

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I read this article the other day and it just left me shaking my head... For some reason it will load the letter the guy wrote but not the generals responses on TTAG webpage.

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Wonder if he's interested in a conversation about high priced consulting firm fees and their value in the military budget. Everybody's got an opinion.

I am sure he is all for that contract fee. Just because you became a General doesn't mean you know everything. He is proof of this.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I fear the general is not familiar with the four rules and state law, which constitute my rules of engagement.

"if everyone in movie had a gun as some politicians suggested and one person started shooting after first rounds went off you could have multiple friendly fire KIA and WIA
    In this gun fight there are no rules of engagement," [sic] LT General Russel Honore (Ret)

I sincerely hope the general never has a home invasion or an incident while he is out with his grand kids.

"I have loaded guns in my home in secure area , inside the intent of the law and but I refuse to take a gun with me to take my grandkids to get ice cream" [sic] LT General Russel Honore (Ret)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom