• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    City of Chicago walks into a buzzsaw of questions from the 7th Circuit in oral arguments on Ezell II (Chicago's ban on shooting ranges). This is an example of what keeps law students up at night--one judicial torpedo after another. That's got to hurt!

120 seconds of argument by the City of Chicago and then hours (it must have been to her) of judicial pummeling. Judge Sykes took Chicago to school. What a lesson. *shudder*

Of Arms and the Law: Chicago gets ripped in Ezell II oral argument

Hear the oral argument at this link: http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/sound/external/sp.14-3312.14-3312_11_04_2015.mp3

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That second link is interesting (in a scary as **** kind of way), but is it the correct link?

hahaha

Editorial bait and switch. :D

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Did the anti-gunners pick a first-year law student to argue their case for them, or is their case really just that weak?

that poor lady sounded like a lamb being led to slaughter in the audio clip.

The court: "You haven't supported the your case with...you know, uh...evidence..."

Anti: "Um...uh...if you would just gimme a chance...uh I think we have shown....uh, maybe not."

Best lunch entertainment evar!!!1!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Did the anti-gunners pick a first-year law student to argue their case for them, or is their case really just that weak?
    In fairness, I've been on the receiving end of questioning like that. It isn't really that easy. :) As Kirk notes, it probably felt like forever, but it also sounds like she did the best she could with what she had.

Also, this sounds like the same panel - Kanne, Rovner (that judge's voice is like fingernails on a chalk board to me), and Sykes. Some of Sykes' questions were actually friendly, although she got frustrated talking about "use" zoning.

I know Rovner wrote the opinion in Ezell I, but I don't see her as any friend of the 2A.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Wow, talk about a hostile court. Just the first 5 minutes has the lawyer representing Chicago getting torn to shreds.

MBogus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This recording is fantastic!! Those judges and their rational, intelligent, and cogent questions made me feel a little better about the judiciary system.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Don't forget, those lawyers are not used to being handled that way in Chicago. For decades they've had their way, without any real logic or argument.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm 14 minutes in to it so far. Holy Poop.

Gun ranges cause crime..... WTF?
    No gun ranges have opened in 4 years, but she doesn't think tight regulations are too blame.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The male lawyer need a new microphone. Or to better stand in it's range.
    The judges seem to be hitting him up with some good questions. But at least he seems to be better in his answers.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    d1f59d3a8ba0e695fd32841fd667a40a.gif

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Actually listened to the whole hour. Talk about shut down your throat. Kudos judge(s?).

Top Bottom