• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm surprised this wasn't posted already. I know many here are fans of this.

As of July 1, if a handgun carry permit holder in Tennessee is injured, suffers bodily injury or death, incurs economic loss or expense, property damage or any other compensable loss on a property posted as a gun-free zone, they can sue the person or entity who stripped them of their right to self defense.
    Want a Gun-Free Zone? Tennessee Says That?s on You: LITERALLY ? Bearing Arms
    Bill allows suits over gun-free zone incidents

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    On the surface I say great.... but the kid in me says..... If they willingly go to a place that demands they disarm they VOID the ability to sue.
    I prefer, no weight of law, see Indiana, in regard to carry. You can carry, if they don't like it you can be told to leave.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Shouldn't need a law for premises liability, but probably a good thing overall.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I like printcraft's take. Make the signs hold no weight of law. Businesses generally hold the right to refuse service, and if they want to tell you to leave for carrying I think that's fine. First Amendment protects your right to complain about a restaurant, but if you're standing there in the establishment yelling about how bad it is they certainly can ask you to leave.

They cant, however, make it illegal for you to say those things. Just as they shouldn't be able to make it illegal for you to carry a gun.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    On the surface I say great.... [STRIKE]but the kid in me says..... If they willingly go to a place that demands they disarm they VOID the ability to sue.[/STRIKE]
    I prefer, no weight of law, see Indiana, in regard to carry. You can carry, if they don't like it you can be told to leave.

Yes, initial joy is replaced by reality and maybe Indiana really does have it right. Not sure though that going so far as voiding the ability to sue is the solution, next thing you know I wont be able to buy a wedding cake while wearing my NRA hat.

I do like putting some burden on those choosing to be a GFZ. The responsibility to keep those you unarm safe is a good start and putting some financial teeth in it makes sense. Certainly trumps the GFZ because the insurance company demanded excuse.

How about requiring those with a GFZ to provide secure firearm lockers at their entrance so guns are not left unattended in the parking lot for criminals and those on the No Fly List to steal in a smash and grab. That ought to be expensive enough to make them think twice.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    On the surface I say great.... but the kid in me says..... If they willingly go to a place that demands they disarm they VOID the ability to sue.
    This is my thought as well. You have to CHOOSE to enter a place that has a no gun sign. It was your choice that put you in place to be harmed, so I don't think that there should be any liability on the part of the property for your choice.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't like this, because it only gives people the opportunity to sue the places without the "No Guns" signs, if something happens.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is my thought as well. You have to CHOOSE to enter a place that has a no gun sign. It was your choice that put you in place to be harmed, so I don't think that there should be any liability on the part of the property for your choice.
    They can always put up a sign that says "GFZ. No firearms allowed. Enter at you own risk"

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I generally support the idea of this law.

First, while I know I am going against set legal practice, I do not see businesses as persons having "rights," ergo there are no rights to trample on. Unless a business is a person DBAing, I don't have much of a problem with rules for businesses, especially a rule such as this that doesn't impact the actual business function in any way.

After this thought, the current default setting, if you will, is that by posting "Gun Free Zone" signs is doing something to cover the business from litigation, or at least to mitigate potential future litigation. This is the DEFAULT.

However, this law will be forcing both businesses and insurance companies to actually THINK about risk management, along with potential devastating financial harm should they just put up a "Gun Free Zone / No Guns Allowed" policy. This will incentivize the use of logic and critical thinking to come into play beyond the nonsensical default that is currently in place.

Gun Free Zones / No Guns Allowed areas do not work! We have seen this time and again in Aurora Colorado, in Sandy Hook and many, many other locations. Yet the mindless masses continue to think that putting up silly signs does something productive. It does not.

Now they will be forced to think about how to keep their employees, customers and others safe - for real. Their insurance companies will be forced to think about policies they may have pushed in the past, to assess just how useful urging their clients to put up silly signs has been effective.

I wish this would come to Indiana!!!

Regards and Happy 4th,

Doug

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Indiana Next!

I like it, why should one be able to decide my constitutional right to self protection...... I say +1 for Tennessee.

I want it for Indiana also.....heck with ALL 50 States...

IMG_0509.png

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/06...wn-medicine-passes-awesome-pro-gun-law-359076

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom