• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    National reciprocity to me is something that needs to happen soon if its ever going to happen. Let's take a page from the left's playbook: repeal the NFA of 1934, gun control act of 1968 and make the 1986 ban go away. Ok, we'll compromise, we'll just go with national reciprocity.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    National reciprocity to me is something that needs to happen soon if its ever going to happen. Let's take a page from the left's playbook: repeal the NFA of 1934, gun control act of 1968 and make the 1986 ban go away. Ok, we'll compromise, we'll just go with national reciprocity.

No, I say go for the trifecta!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Does the Federal Government have any say in what states can use as criteria for driver's license eligibility?

I want to make sure that all this does is requires states to recognize each others permits. I don't want the Feds having any say in how those permits are issued.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Even among pro-gun groups, there’s debate over whether the legislation should create uniform, national requirements for carrying a concealed weapon, or whether it should respect states’ authority to set their own different standards, Gottlieb said.

As always, the devil's in the details. The 10th Amendment side of me wants to reject this. I know it's popular among many and I certainly would take advantage of it should it pass. I'm too cynical, I know, but I'm skeptical.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Nationally reciprocity: Yay signs in IN now carry weight of law! Then when it gets turned in say 12 years, the fed just banned carry everywhere...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, for driver's licenses, traffic rules/laws have been pretty much unified across the country, whereas gun laws widely vary.
    How would this affect national repricocity?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Remember that gay marriage license thing? Good enough for those, good enough for carry, right? I know this equivalence was a topic when SCOTUS affirmed gay marriage licensure across state lines.

Now it's our turn, and if one is for the former but not the latter there is another law to consider: the law of unintended consequences.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As always, the devil's in the details. The 10th Amendment side of me wants to reject this. I know it's popular among many and I certainly would take advantage of it should it pass. I'm too cynical, I know, but I'm skeptical.

The 10th Amendment in you, is sound logic. You let the fed's dictate this, and then the precedent is set to dictate the opposite. If this goes the federal route, and eventually the winds change, don't be surprised if the feds ignore everyone's "state's rights" call, and pass something more restrictive than what we have now. Be careful what you wish for, because you can be cut by the same knife.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Does the Federal Government have any say in what states can use as criteria for driver's license eligibility?

I want to make sure that all this does is requires states to recognize each others permits. I don't want the Feds having any say in how those permits are issued.

These are two, very different things.

Federally mandated reciprocity simply means that any state that issues its own residents carry permits (regardless of *how* it issues those permits) must honor the state-issued resident permits of non-residents (regardless of *how* those states issue permits).

National right-to-carry would involve the fed.gov creating national requirements regarding *how* states issue permits. I am not in favor of such legislation, and do not believe that it would be prudent to pursue, because it can set VERY dangerous precedents.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And how we doin' so far?

Real well. Jim Crow is dead and the South is a decent place to live now, and if you want me to list all the Civil Rights Acts I can and then you can thank Jake and John after each statute I list.

Dictate what?

You know, all those rights contained in the Bill of Rights. Weeellll, the Democrats in the South were denying those rights to the Freedmen. Congress sought to extend the Bill of Rights to the States so the South would have to be civilized to Black men.

The civil rights/privileges and immunities that Chief Justice Taney listed a couple of decades before the 14th Amendment are what are to be dictated to the States.

Top Bottom