• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seems like a good list to work on for a start. But of course, the most important item is to appoint RKBA adherents to the Federal bench.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Seems pretty..... light.

My list would be:
    - Repeal the 1934 National Firearms Act - no more NFA list. Might still want to regulate explosives in some fashion. Suppressors are safety equipment. The rest (SBR, SBS, AOW, Autos) are mostly there because someone saw them in a movie once.
    - Re-write most of the 1938 Federal Firearms Act (individuals currently serving any sort of punishment for a felony could still be barred from owning as far as I am concerned)
    - Repeal the Safe Streets Act of 1968 - handgun sales across state lines and drop the purchase age back to 18
    - Repeal the Gun Control Act of 1968 - once again, it should be legal for any law-abiding adult to buy/sell (mostly repealed anyway, I think)
    - Repeal the Firearm Owners Protection Act - deregulate automatic firearms.
    - Repeal the 1988 Undetectable Firearms Act - patently ridiculous. Isn't this because of the "ceramic Glock" from a movie? Not even a real thing?
    - Repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 - we have nothing to fear from "proper" people carrying anywhere, even schools. Doesn't mean schools can't have POLICIES. But, it doesn't need to be a Federal crime.
    - Repeal Brady - Doesn't work, anyway

Executive Orders could clean up things like Post Offices, Army Corp of Engineers properties, Federal Parks/Lands, Military Bases and Recruiting properties, etc...

- I'm mixed on Federal Reciprocity. What the Feds give they can taketh away. All depends on how it is implemented. The States vary SO widely on local laws, I can't imagine anything truley 2A-Friendly getting passed. I'd rather the 2A simply be enforced, and States MUST allow carry for their residents, much like the courts are slowly enforcing today. Maybe the Feds can play the money game they are so fond of (with schools and now sanctuary cities), and withhold $$$ until states comply with the 2A.

Still need to think on how to solve the root issues of "violence". Not sure the Feds can really do that by themselves. Might be able to encourage good behavior, though. Strong economic policies will certainly help. Don't really want the Feds more involved in Health Care, but we do need some focus on mental health. So many folks today really do have "issues", and we have decided to tolerate or even accept their issues, rather than help them address the issues. Also trying to think how to encourage strong nuclear families with personal/familial responsibility. Personally, I think folks have too much idle time on their hands, and it gets them in trouble. We need more manufacturing and skilled trades jobs domestically. Jobs that pay well, but wear you out. You don't have the time or energy to "protest" when you are working 4-10's plus overtime. You don't have a reason to protest, when you have a beautiful family and a nice house. You don't NEED to protest when your basic needs are met and you have a sense of accomplishment from doing that all on your own.

Not that "violence" is really that much of an issue today. It is at the lowest point in decades. Zero would be great, but there will always be evil in this world.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    With a Republican-held Congress and Donald Trump headed to the White House — helped, in no small part, by the support of the NRA

No. It was helped, in no small part, by the Democrats repeated denial that gun control is a 3rd rail.
    They got kicked in the stomach in the first Clinton's Presidency, and they got kicked in the stomach this time also.
    We need to remind them of that EVERY time they bring it up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Guys, a few things will likely get done. The suppressor removal from the NFA, possibly a form of national carry license (put away your "Constitutional carry" dreams), maybe a reform of background check procedure.

That is it.

All of Congress and 1/3 of the senate runs for office in 2 years. Many conservatives are comfortable being seen as a defender of gun rights against liberal intrusions, but will not be pursuing the role of an advocate of doing away with the laws we have now.

Get used to it. Dial back your expectations.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm the kid of guy that wants the kids to be excited and grateful about the presents they get on Christmas, not disappointed about not getting stuff that was a pipe dream.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    2A = pipe dream.

Got it.

Now that is an unfair interpretation of his statement. Simply acknowledging political realities does not mean one views the BoR as a pipe dream. People are giddy right now, and this is going to lead to massive disappointment in 6 months or so. Mark my words.....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    We're talking politics. Who is going to propose what and what can get passed. We'll see what happens in the end. I hope I don't get to say "I told you so", but I will.

I know, politics is the art of deciding who gets what and when.

Constitutional carry is not a thing which needs decided or passed, it's already there.

Who could enforce it but we, the people? I'm talking to people here, not politicians.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I know, politics is the art of deciding who gets what and when.

Constitutional carry is not a thing which needs decided or passed, it's already there.

Who could enforce it but we, the people? I'm talking to people here, not politicians.

I don't want to assume anything. Explain to me how this works given the laws on the books. Then explain how this is realistic and not theoretical.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I don't want to assume anything. Explain to me how this works given the laws on the books. Then explain how this is realistic and not theoretical.

Explain how law works?

The 2A, already on the books, prohibits infringing upon the RKBA. We don't need to craft a new amendment or law to keep and bear arms, to practice or protect that right from infringements.

Nothing political remains to be done, so why hand the issue to politicians to discuss or pretend that they'd even need to?

Why don't you explain your perspective for me, I really can't fathom any 'passing' of constitutional carry which remains to be done.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Explain how law works?

The 2A, already on the books, prohibits infringing upon the RKBA. We don't need to craft a new amendment or law to keep and bear arms, to practice or protect that right from infringements.

Nothing political remains to be done, so why hand the issue to politicians to discuss or pretend that they'd even need to?

Why don't you explain your perspective for me, I really can't fathom any 'passing' of constitutional carry which remains to be done.

So you don't have a LTCH?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Guys, a few things will likely get done. The suppressor removal from the NFA, possibly a form of national carry license (put away your "Constitutional carry" dreams), maybe a reform of background check procedure.

That is it.

All of Congress and 1/3 of the senate runs for office in 2 years. Many conservatives are comfortable being seen as a defender of gun rights against liberal intrusions, but will not be pursuing the role of an advocate of doing away with the laws we have now.

Get used to it. Dial back your expectations.

I would fight against this. Don't want it, and it would represent the actual "camel's nose under the tent" that so many speciously fear regarding national reciprocity.

Top Bottom